Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3502434 - 12/16/13 04:49 AM Re: Late season bucks, where to start [Re: Roost 1]
Woodson223
8 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: Roost 1
I would pick my places,so to speak, where to kill does..
I have places on my properties to kill does and other places are buck only. I hope this makes sense........
This

#3502462 - 12/16/13 05:26 AM Re: Late season bucks, where to start [Re: catman529]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

Originally Posted By: catman529

I know I have been out to kill on most of my hunts, and have probably blown some chances by shooting does as soon as they come into range. I'm going out in the morning, not sure where yet, but I have a feeling I will be passing deer if I see em. Just gotta pick a spot that will work for a SW wind. I will still go out a few times this month with the mission to kill another doe or two, but will be setting aside at least a few times to let every deer walk unless it's a buck I want.

Heres where you blew it imo
I took you to a spot where i had been hunting a mature buck last year on the last day. You ran cameras there all late summer and fall. You put up a stand there and hunted it during bow and then with a rifle you killed the first 2 does that walked under you. Imo you should have been hunting that big mature deer there instead of trampling down the woods collecting does you didnt need and gave away.
Imo just the facts mistake #2
I also took you to a honey hole to kill a couple of turkeys. We had seen 2 mature bucks there the next day you went back and killed the first 4 pt that walked under your stand. I know it was your first public land buck bow kill and congrats i just think you need to take some advice given above if its big mature deer you want to kill. In a big mature deer area leave the little ones alone and our chances of seeing those mature deer will increase. I know i kill whatever walks under me but i have areas i hunt i wont kill anything in hopes of the big one. I hope what i said dont offend you take it for whay its worth. Im not trying to get on you. You did ask

#3503805 - 12/16/13 08:35 PM Re: Late season bucks, where to start [Re: ImThere]
jaypz4
6 Point

Loc: franklin

catman I was just like you years ago!!! shooting what I wanted to when I wanted to and that was that, so I know where your coming from brother! this year i have seen 2 mature bucks behind my house where i hunt but no shot andit sucks but that's hunting! another property i hunt i have seen several nice bucks that i have passed on! reason for that is....my son shot a mid 140's buck on the juvy hunt which MADE MY SEASON THE BEST ONE EVER!!!! i have taken 7 does this year 3 with bow 2 with rifle and 2 with a 9mm pistol! which makes it for a great season for me, and from now on until season ends i will only carry the pistol....make it a challenge! with all that being said.....do what makes you happy and as you get older your hunting will change where you only go just to see deer! and one day that mature buck will come by!! take that for what its worth......good hunting!

#3503826 - 12/16/13 08:48 PM Re: Late season bucks, where to start [Re: scn]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

thick cover. also, i know you have a tendency to shoot every deer that comes by.which is fine if thats what you like. but if a mature buck is what you seek, you will need to those other deer cruise on by. i would say a hard pressured late season isn't going to want to cruise into an area where a fresh round of gunfire just rang out.

#3503853 - 12/16/13 09:12 PM Re: Late season bucks, where to start [Re: redblood]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

Yep I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else, if you wanna kill mature deer you are going to have to shy away from the numbers game.

The spot where I killed mine today has produced a 120" buck for the last 5 yrs but I may see 15-20 bucks ( on a normal year, this hasnt been a normal yr for me) and a few dozen does before the right buck come through.

IMO your doing a couple things wrong if you want to kill mature deer you need to hunt that area for those deer only.
#2. If you want to hunt mature deer, hunt mature deer the first part of season, and then as it starts to a close kill a couple if you want. It seems as you have gone about that in total reverse. You can't hunt for numbers first half and hunt mature deer last half and be very successful.

Like imthere said not getting on you, do what you like but if you wanna target specific deer your gonna have to give to receive so to speak.

I passed on 33 bucks last year and some decent deer, but I killed 4 (1 quota) 120"-132" deer and it was a most epic year for me. I have farms where I'll shoot about anything I seen 27 does in a field one eve last week and you can bet I'll do some thinning over the next couple weeks.

Prime example of killing a prime spot, i hunted some thick pines in wayne county that had a group of does come through every day, and the lead doe was huge,old and grey. I killed several deer out of there but one morning i shot that lead doe and i hunted that pine thicket for 2 more seasons without seeing a deer. That really hit home for me.
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3505704 - 12/18/13 07:48 AM Re: Late season bucks, where to start [Re: Roost 1]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

I have places on my properties to kill does and other places are buck only. I hope this makes sense........

yes

#3505935 - 12/18/13 10:15 AM Re: Late season bucks, where to start [Re: Roost 1]
PcDeer
4 Point

Loc: Linden, Tn

This is pretty much my approach to hunting. I have my "honey holes" that I will only hunt when the conditions are right and will only shoot a mature buck in those spots. Then I have a couple spots that are my go to for filling the freezer. Right now I'm hunting heavy cover in the mornings and food sources in the afternoon. Mornings have been good for sightings just not what I'm looking for. And well everyone knows I can't see a deer in the afternoon.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
27 registered (shrek, 8up, Southpaw, Stevie Ray, stryker, JAY B, 2 invisible) and 69 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
91002 Topics
1063432 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.076 seconds in which 0.023 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.