Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3504421 - 12/17/13 09:34 AM Re: whats the latest you have seen chasing? [Re: Jmed]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

into February

#3504478 - 12/17/13 10:09 AM Re: whats the latest you have seen chasing? [Re: easy45]
knightrider
12 Point

Loc: tn

i have seen breeding as late as second week in march, no biggie with our numbers so out of whack here an occasional doe gets by until feb or march before a buck catches up to her

#3504595 - 12/17/13 11:52 AM Re: whats the latest you have seen chasing? [Re: knightrider]
utfan1
10 Point

Loc: cleveland,tn

april
#3504671 - 12/17/13 01:03 PM Re: whats the latest you have seen chasing? [Re: utfan1]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

early jan

#3504813 - 12/17/13 02:49 PM Re: whats the latest you have seen chasing? [Re: deerhunter10]
barkscaler
4 Point

Loc: Wilson Co.

Watched two bucks,still with horns,chase a doe in late April a few years ago.I also seen a nomore than a few days old fawn last February.I go till the last day cause you never know.

#3504835 - 12/17/13 03:11 PM Re: whats the latest you have seen chasing? [Re: caveman]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: caveman
My theory is with the over abundance of does the estrus cycle will run through March making the actual Rut prolonged.

A severely skewed adult sex ratio absolutely can draw out the rut over a long period of time, producing a "trickle rut." However, I doubt anywhere in TN has such a terrible adult sex ratio. About the worst I know of in TN would be in the 2.0 to 2.5 does per buck range, and that isn't skewed enough to cause a long drawn-out trickle rut.

Quote:
This results in less aggressive behavior by the Bucks since does come into estrus periodically vs all at one time or within a typically 3 week period.

A "typical" tightly timed rut actually takes 5-6 weeks to get 95+% of the does bred.

Quote:
...that is why in October many does still have yearlings with them.

Does still having their fawns with them (and even yearling bucks born the previous year) in October is normal.

Quote:
I have Turkey hunted in April and still find the occassional buck with antlers running through woods.

Bucks still carrying their antlers in April is an excellent sign. Healthy bucks should carry their antlers into March, with many still carrying antlers in April. If the majority of bucks are losing their antlers before March, that's the sign of a nutritionally/physically stressed buck population.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3504845 - 12/17/13 03:21 PM Re: whats the latest you have seen chasing? [Re: Rockhound]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Rockhound
My uncle swears that he seen 6 hornless bucks butting heads and boxing trying to mount a doe on the opening day of turkey season and he will not lie about it.

Although your uncle's observation sounds like he something "bad," what he actually witnessed was normal behavior in deer. In spring, a buck's body will produce a brief surge of testosterone to force his old antlers off and begin growing his new set of antlers. This usually occurs in April in TN. But this necessary surge of testosterone has unintended consequences--it makes bucks suddenly act "rutty" again. It is easy to find when this situation occurs in your local area by watching for scrapes to suddenly re-opened (usually in early to mid-April). In addition, bucks will briefly begin to chase does again. It is this surge of testosterone production and the ensuing influence it has on buck behavior that is the cause of most of the "I saw a buck chasing does" or "I just found a fresh scrape" stories that will appear every year on this site during April. It isn't a sign of a long, drawn out rut; it is just a sign of the normal antlergenesis process underway.

In fact, your uncle's description of the bucks having just lost their antlers (bloody stumps) is right on the money. The surge of testosterone not only made the bucks chase does, it caused their antlers to have just fallen off, which is exactly what the spring-season testosterone surge is intended to accomplish.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3504848 - 12/17/13 03:28 PM Re: whats the latest you have seen chasing? [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

Although seeing bucks chasing does late into winter is usually thought of as a bad sign (and seeing A LOT of chasing in winter [in TN] is a bad sign), some chasing into winter is normal.

Not all does can conceive. Just as some human women cannot conceive, some female deer cannot conceive (due to any number of problems). However, often does that can't conceive CAN go into heat. Hence, these does will come into heat every 28-30 days from the fall months all the way until spring. And they are getting bred each time. However, they are unable to conceive and will cycle back into heat again.

The percent of does unable to conceive varies with each study, but a good average is around 5%. That means that approximately 1 out of every 20 does is unable to conceive. So if your hunting area holds at least 20 does, odds are you have a doe around that can't conceive and will cycle into heat over and over until spring. Observing the occasional chase in winter is not out of the ordinary at all, and isn't necessarily a bad sign.

#3504860 - 12/17/13 03:36 PM Re: whats the latest you have seen chasing? [Re: BSK]
in the dog house!
14 Point

Loc: west tn

Seen it in late Feb here every year since I have been in west Tn.

Μολων λαβε

#3504941 - 12/17/13 04:25 PM Re: whats the latest you have seen chasing? [Re: Jmed]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I saw two fawns on Oct. 9th with spots. i would assume they were bred later in the year than Nov.

I have seen one chase on the Nov.9th. a 4 pt running a doe ragged. that same morning had a spike trailing a doe. front came in on Tuesday and it was cold Wednesday the 13th. I thought I had picked perfectly for my 2 days off. I saw nothing but small bucks wandering around. Its like someone turned the switch off.

Have not seen but one scrape all year. Saw a bunch of rubs pop up in Oct and now they are popping up again.

Edited by Bone Collector (12/17/13 04:26 PM)

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
81 registered (postal rage, DirtyBear0311, Model 1, Wrangler95, diamond hunter, iowavf, 14 invisible) and 101 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93171 Topics
1089132 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.088 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.