Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#3499787 - 12/14/13 05:57 AM Re: What/how is the most difficult way to kill a deer? [Re: sgtwebb1]
7mminatree
6 Point

Loc: Unicoi Tn.

From the couch, I've never closed the deal!
#3502638 - 12/16/13 08:06 AM Re: What/how is the most difficult way to kill a deer? [Re: 7mminatree]
TheRealSpurhunter
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland & Bedford CO

Originally Posted By: 7mminatree
From the couch, I've never closed the deal!

I have killed a few from the couch on my little farm I had. It was just 10 acres, only 5 of which were cleared, but they sure loved my back pasture.

#3503243 - 12/16/13 02:42 PM Re: What/how is the most difficult way to kill a deer? [Re: BAMA BOW MERKER]
Elmer
6 Point

Loc: Ft. Campbell/Montgomery co.

Originally Posted By: BAMA BOW MERKER
Southern Alabama deer are 5x harder to hunt than any place I've ever hunted.

Not being smart but where else have you hunted. I ask because the people I know that hunt down there are in shooting houses over food plots and say that's how it's done mostly in that area. They see quite a few a kill quite a few but not many trophies

Late season mountain bucks of east tn have my vote. I live to hunt but if that was the only scenario I had to kill deer I would take up bowling or gardening or something.

Mathews Reezen, CVA Wolf, 7mmWSM

#3503276 - 12/16/13 03:06 PM Re: What/how is the most difficult way to kill a deer? [Re: Elmer]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

East TN mountains and Deep South swamps are the two hardest deer hunting scenarios, in my opinion.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3504075 - 12/17/13 04:31 AM Re: What/how is the most difficult way to kill a deer? [Re: deerhunter10]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
pressure is the number one reason people don't have success imo. not paying attention to details going in the wrong time of the year, running trail cameras in places they don't need to be checking them all the time, wind, going into bedding areas, the list goes on and on. it will make a killable deer into a none killable deer very quick. and deer sighting will go down like crazy.

Totally agree!
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3504088 - 12/17/13 04:38 AM Re: What/how is the most difficult way to kill a deer? [Re: Wes Parrish]
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
[quote=102] What makes a deer, any deer, the hardest most challenging deer to kill?

Age.

Originally Posted By: 102
And does your choice of gun or bow make it more or less of a challenge?

Depends.
Depends on the hunter, where he's hunting, when he's hunting, how much he's hunting, as well as the AGE of the deer being hunted. Is it easier to kill a yearling buck with a bow or a mature buck with a gun? Just depends.

So you are saying that (comparing apples to apples and given both shooters are proficient with their choice of weapon) it might as easy to kill a yearling buck with a bow as a mature buck with a gun?

I could not disagree more.
I know several hunters who are very good with bow and gun. But have a very difficult time connecting with a fatal hit, even on a fawn, while using a bow. Yet these same hunters have no problem connecting on mature deer with their rifles.

#3504283 - 12/17/13 07:58 AM Re: What/how is the most difficult way to kill a deer? [Re: 102]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

[quote=102] What makes a deer, any deer, the hardest most challenging deer to kill?

Age.

Depends.
Depends on the hunter, where he's hunting, when he's hunting, how much he's hunting, as well as the AGE of the deer being hunted. Is it easier to kill a yearling buck with a bow or a mature buck with a gun? Just depends.

So you are saying that (comparing apples to apples and given both shooters are proficient with their choice of weapon) it might as easy to kill a yearling buck with a bow as a mature buck with a gun?

I know several hunters who are very good with bow and gun. But have a very difficult time connecting with a fatal hit, even on a fawn, while using a bow. Yet these same hunters have no problem connecting on mature deer with their rifles.

Exactly 102!
Theres absolutely no comparison between a bow and a rifle! Think about it, with a rifle most anybody with average shooting experience can become proficient out to 200 yards with just a little practice. They then can kill anything that gets within 150 yards of them most times.
Now take a bow, which takes hours of practice to become proficient out to 30 yards!!! Then while hunting with a deer inside 30 yards, you have to learn to draw the bow undetected, make a good shot on an animal that is faster than your arrow is, then know how to atleast somewhat blood trail as 90% or more of bow shot deer run atleast some distance. The list goes on and on, Bow hunting takes much more skill than does rifle hunting! And NO im not talking about crossguns either. ;\)

#3504304 - 12/17/13 08:07 AM Re: What/how is the most difficult way to kill a deer? [Re: BSK]
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: BSK
East TN mountains and Deep South swamps are the two hardest deer hunting scenarios, in my opinion.

Agreed!
"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

Hunting Photography:

facebook.com/AMOutdoorPhotography

www.amcunninghamoutdoors.com

#3504564 - 12/17/13 11:10 AM Re: What/how is the most difficult way to kill a deer? [Re: Winchester]
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Winchester

Age.

Depends.

Exactly 102!
Theres absolutely no comparison between a bow and a rifle! Think about it, with a rifle most anybody with average shooting experience can become proficient out to 200 yards with just a little practice. They then can kill anything that gets within 150 yards of them most times.
Now take a bow, which takes hours of practice to become proficient out to 30 yards!!! Then while hunting with a deer inside 30 yards, you have to learn to draw the bow undetected, make a good shot on an animal that is faster than your arrow is, then know how to atleast somewhat blood trail as 90% or more of bow shot deer run atleast some distance. The list goes on and on, Bow hunting takes much more skill than does rifle hunting! And NO im not talking about crossguns either. ;\)

Yes, absolutely correct IMO.

I can't even believe that there are those who would argue this.

How many times have I heard that taking ANY deer with a bow makes that deer a trophy.

I agree.

And hunting, and taking mature deer, by bow, that are hunted and pressured and wise as to hunter pressure, is especially challenging.

But to me...the MOST challenging deer is the MATURE (buck or doe) one taken on highly pressure, PUBLIC land, in cold weather and harsh conditions, requiring haevy, bulky cumbersome clothing, and with a bow that requires drawing a string just prior to the shot.

#3504565 - 12/17/13 11:14 AM Re: What/how is the most difficult way to kill a deer? [Re: 102]
infoman jr.
10 Point

Loc: Elizabethtown, KY

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
76 registered (Copes, tndeerman, jr450r, The_Utility_Dude, Lady's man, BULL MOOSE, 8 invisible) and 89 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94110 Topics
1099557 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.114 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.