Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3498671 - 12/13/13 08:16 AM Re: Thin Diameter Arrows for Penetration? [Re: Mr.Bro]
krazykarl_13
Spike

Loc: crossville

My friend has had good luck with his small epic axis arrows. They are pretty light. If you make a good shot, it's most likely going to pass through with any arrow on a whitetail.
#3499679 - 12/13/13 10:42 PM Re: Thin Diameter Arrows for Penetration? [Re: knightrider]
DixieCrafter
4 Point

Loc: Mid-TN

Originally Posted By: knightrider
on thin whitetail bones how much more penetration do you need? thru a rib, thru the lungs, out the other rib, in the dirt

I guess they aren't satisfied until the arrow sinks up to the fletching in the dirt after a pass through!

Originally Posted By: Hoss
Analysis Paralysis

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

#3499956 - 12/14/13 09:14 AM Re: Thin Diameter Arrows for Penetration? [Re: DixieCrafter]
DMAG
4 Point

Loc: Bradley County, TN

I have done calculation after calculation and have come to the most amazing equation evaluation that has ever come to bow hunting. I have shot about as many arrows as you can think of and determined with the new bows at 70 lbs penetration will not ever be an issue. I am in electrical engineering and have helped many mechanical engineers do tests for projects and fun mostly and as much as I would like to say I have come up with a magical equation, I can honestly say it hasnt happened. The nice thing with standard sized arrows is you can nock and sling, with no rest adjustments. I can say that lighter arrows are nice for yard estimated, but from my shooting I have come to like a hair stiffer arrow and a heavier weight arrow. I tend to be more accurate with them. I like Easton FMJs and Rage heads. On a target there will be a hair more penetration with the micro diameter shaft, but It really comes down to how well your bow is tuned for the arrow. All the bows energy being put into a larger shaft is better than 90 percent energybeing put into a smaller shaft.
#3500674 - 12/14/13 08:13 PM Re: Thin Diameter Arrows for Penetration? [Re: DMAG]
Mr.Bro
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tn.

Wasted energy with complete pass throughs and 2 holes is still better than complete energy and only none hole.

#3500913 - 12/14/13 10:53 PM Re: Thin Diameter Arrows for Penetration? [Re: Mr.Bro]
Hoss
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville , TN

Originally Posted By: Mr.Bro
Wasted energy with complete pass throughs and 2 holes is still better than complete energy and only none hole.

X2
Ditto
Agreed

Plus if my Broomstick arrow id buried at least 6 inches into the dirt then maybe the deer will trip over it as it exits the area! 2 inches deep will just not get the tripping aspect of my recovery process done.

A mere shadow of the man I once was... Me!

#3501056 - 12/15/13 07:11 AM Re: Thin Diameter Arrows for Penetration? [Re: Hoss]
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

Lol Hoss

Now that's just plain mean

#3501179 - 12/15/13 09:06 AM Re: Thin Diameter Arrows for Penetration? [Re: UTGrad]
DMAG
4 Point

Loc: Bradley County, TN

If you use Rage heads than all you got to do is pull a draw off on em and they pass out like them fainting goats. Im gonna start using fat shafts to give em a real speed bump \:\)
#3501570 - 12/15/13 02:20 PM Re: Thin Diameter Arrows for Penetration? [Re: DMAG]
Mr.Bro
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tn.

Hoss has been shooting "fat arrows" before "fat arrows" were cool.

Like early 70S.

#3503619 - 12/16/13 06:48 PM Re: Thin Diameter Arrows for Penetration? [Re: DMAG]
Pinwheeled
4 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: DMAG
I have done calculation after calculation and have come to the most amazing equation evaluation that has ever come to bow hunting. I have shot about as many arrows as you can think of and determined with the new bows at 70 lbs penetration will not ever be an issue. I am in electrical engineering and have helped many mechanical engineers do tests for projects and fun mostly and as much as I would like to say I have come up with a magical equation, I can honestly say it hasnt happened. The nice thing with standard sized arrows is you can nock and sling, with no rest adjustments. I can say that lighter arrows are nice for yard estimated, but from my shooting I have come to like a hair stiffer arrow and a heavier weight arrow. I tend to be more accurate with them. I like Easton FMJs and Rage heads. On a target there will be a hair more penetration with the micro diameter shaft, but It really comes down to how well your bow is tuned for the arrow. All the bows energy being put into a larger shaft is better than 90 percent energybeing put into a smaller shaft.

You lost me here...

-Why would you have to make rest adjustments for a smaller diameter arrow and not a "standard" diameter? There isn't really a "standard" diameter arrow.

-If your bow is tuned correctly and all things equal, how would a bow put more energy behind a larger diameter arrow than a small diameter arrow?

#3506776 - 12/18/13 07:15 PM Re: Thin Diameter Arrows for Penetration? [Re: Pinwheeled]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

I shot fat xx78's for years and never had a problem blowing through deer. Marketing hype mostly, but I do like shooting small diameter carbon arrows.

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
16 registered (dhj, muzzy76, DirtyBear0311, Stevie Ray, LawDawg55, BamaProud, 1 invisible) and 62 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91470 Topics
1069322 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.04 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.