Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3487644 - 12/06/13 04:59 PM Wool vs. Contemporary
Blue Dogs
Button

Loc: West TN

I am considering purchasing new deer gear. Bibs are shaggy and currently have wear load duck hunting clothes when the temp really drops. The reason I am considering wool is I was gifted a Wooltimate pullover a couple of years ago and I am more impressed with it than any other garment that I own even though it is lighter than I would like to get.
#3491432 - 12/08/13 08:50 PM Re: Wool vs. Contemporary [Re: Blue Dogs]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

love wool myself!

#3491772 - 12/09/13 06:45 AM Re: Wool vs. Contemporary [Re: timberjack86]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

wool is great, but........................
heavy when it gets wet, dry clean only(costly these days), everything sticks to it, storage in the off season(moths).

I have grown up in the northern woods of NY, most of our hunting is done in the cold season. I grow up in Woolrich wool hunting cloths, now after 35 yrs of hunting I don't have one piece of wool clothing that I wear in the woods. (with the exception of my socks)
I gradually switched over to newer/lighter/modern materials and actually find myself warmer with the layering set up I currently had put together.
Yesterday for example, temp 19 degs. & calm, I stood on watch (in the open woods) for 3.5 hrs before I started to get a chill.
Set-up: polypro base layer shirt, Cabela's med. weigh top and bottom, duofold upper (sleeve cut off/less bulk in arms), polar fleece pullover, Cabela's berber fleece w/wind shear liner pull over, topped with Cabela's Guide/outfitters blaze orange over shirt, light weight fleece pants under my arctic shield bibs. Muck boots with wool socks.

FDXX75

#3491921 - 12/09/13 08:43 AM Re: Wool vs. Contemporary [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

In the 90s, most outdoor technical gear switched to synthetics, but there has been a big time return to wool as of late. Having came to age in the 90s, I used mostly synthetics for years in both climbing and hunting (exception being sleeping bags), but recently started switching to wool layers. The key is to buy merino wool products and you will have to research this when buying because only a handful of companies actually use real Merino wool that comes from the Merino company in New Zealand. Much of what is on the market is Chinese wool and there is a difference in performance. Hunting specific brands Kuiu and First Lite both use Merino wool. Non hunting specific, Smartwool, does, too.

Anyway, since using wool baselayers instead of polypro, I am much more comfortable at a wider swing of temperatures. I have a ultralightweight 145, midweight 185 & 230 baselayers. On very cold days, I can combine 2 or 3 of them for perfect temperature control one warmers days, I stay comfortable in the lightweight wool.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3491949 - 12/09/13 08:55 AM Re: Wool vs. Contemporary [Re: Poser]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

If you have not tried silk or a silk/ synthetic combo for a base it is worth considering. I hate wearing a lot of heavy bulky stuff. Wool i warm but heavy. Silk and fleece have always served me well.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3491977 - 12/09/13 09:05 AM Re: Wool vs. Contemporary [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: WestTn Huntin'man
If you have not tried silk or a silk/ synthetic combo for a base it is worth considering. I hate wearing a lot of heavy bulky stuff. Wool i warm but heavy. Silk and fleece have always served me well.

Have your tried Merino wool? My midweight Merino baselayers weigh 8 ounces.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3493330 - 12/09/13 10:27 PM Re: Wool vs. Contemporary [Re: Poser]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: WestTn Huntin'man

Have your tried Merino wool? My midweight Merino baselayers weigh 8 ounces.

I wore mine for 8 days straight in WY, almost no smell and kept me comfortable. Good stuff for sure.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3493691 - 12/10/13 08:29 AM Re: Wool vs. Contemporary [Re: AT Hiker]
Pic IN the Casa
TurdFarmer2.0
14 Point

Loc: TN

I am in the process of switching to wool base layers. Figured at this point I would wait until after the season and look for good deals.

However, I have found out that with what I do have I can be comfortable in layers of wool and fleece.

Also, on a tip from a member I looked at Goodwill and lucked out on a couple of Woolrich sweaters for under $5. Great mid layer stuff.

#3493754 - 12/10/13 08:57 AM Re: Wool vs. Contemporary [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

REMEMBER!!!!!! Do not dry your wool in a dryer, or you will be trying to loose weight to fit into it again!

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3496109 - 12/11/13 02:45 PM Re: Wool vs. Contemporary [Re: AT Hiker]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

Loc: East Tn.

Originally Posted By: AT Hiker
REMEMBER!!!!!! Do not dry your wool in a dryer, or you will be trying to loose weight to fit into it again!
speaking of that if anyone knows a pygmy that wants a woolrich shirt , let me know. wife threw mine in the dryer. just disregard that the tag says XXL. \:D

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  gtk, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
OfficerBuck, rapalabuck, medic2fpc, MachDR, pop
13308 Registered Users
Who's Online
75 registered (tnblaster, jr450r, BIGORANGE, archer19, tn droptine, RiverRat213, 11 invisible) and 111 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13308 Members
42 Forums
94023 Topics
1098296 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.125 seconds in which 0.016 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.