Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 7 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3480331 - 12/02/13 01:02 PM QDM paying off big time!
deaddownwind
4 Point

Loc: TN

This buck limit forum got me thinking. Just because you have a three buck limit doesnt meant you have to kill three! For at least ten years, several neighbors in my area have been trying not to kill anything under 130" and/or 4.5. Several deer over 150" and many many between 130-150" have been taken in this area. This group also tries to take deer that are 4.5 or older with inferior racks (eg. short tine 8's, big 6's, etc...) while letting a larger antlered 3.5 go. The average hunter in that area will kill 3 bucks every two years I'd say. Over those years great success has been achieved using this method. You hear it all from other locals from "ya'll have better genetics over there" to "our deer don't get that big" Bla bla bla..... In the past few years others have started letting young 2.5 year olds walk and trying to kill a 3.5 or older deer with a little success. Each year it has been getting better. More people in the area are killing deer over 125" consistently. It seems that alot of people are getting the idea of "that if I don't kill it someone else will" out of their head. The main thing to learn there is that if "you kill the deer, there is 0% chance you will see what he is next year". If you let him go, at least he has a chance. Sure, others will kill deer you let "walk" but thats part of hunting and QDM in the free range world. I've had the people that shoot three 2.5's beside me every year. I know it's not fun seeing "Jack" kill all the deer you're letting go. They too will eventually mess up and kill a big one and see the light. At least that has happened in most cases I have witnessed. I see people on here complaining saying deer in TN can't have big bodies or antlers because we do not have the "genetics". Genetics definately help the antler and body size, but without age and good food sources, genetics are nothing. I would say the average buck killed in a 6 or 7 mile radius of where I hunt has went up 10" in the last 5 years because of QDM. People see others killing big deer around them and want to do the same. Within that 6 0r 7 mile radius, there have been 5 deer 150-165" and 12 between 130-149" already this year. The largest field dressed body weight being #208 and #205. Pretty cool to see what letting deer get age on them will do. I enjoy seeing people truly excited about killing a deer instead of shooting the same 2.5 year old eight point ever year, cutting the rack off, and throwing antlers in a box in the barn because "deer don't get big in TN". Shoot a doe if you want meat and let the young bucks grow another year if you dont like TN deer size. Just my thoughts. Happy Hunting everyone!
#3480400 - 12/02/13 01:42 PM Re: QDM paying off big time! [Re: deaddownwind]
wobblegobble
6 Point

Loc: tn

My in-laws join the 6-7 mile radius and thier neighbors kill 5 deer a piece! Yeah I said 5! Ive seen what deaddownwind's group is doing and envy em. Another thing that helps all is yall control 1,000's of acres! Most can't control that much....like me 120 acres and fools on every edge!

#3480438 - 12/02/13 01:55 PM Re: QDM paying off big time! [Re: wobblegobble]
hunterncoach
6 Point

Loc: northern middle tn

Originally Posted By: wobblegobble
My in-laws join the 6-7 mile radius and thier neighbors kill 5 deer a piece! Yeah I said 5! Ive seen what deaddownwind's group is doing and envy em. Another thing that helps all is yall control 1,000's of acres! Most can't control that much....like me 120 acres and fools on every edge!
You are right, but all it takes is a couple guys inviting the fellas who hunt around them to a barbeque...give 'em some cold beer and try to start working together. We've done that and in some cases it works, others it doesn't, but thats all you can do in these type situations

#3480460 - 12/02/13 02:13 PM Re: QDM paying off big time! [Re: deaddownwind]
wobblegobble
6 Point

Loc: tn

Here are a couple of the deer , missing a few.
[img]http:// [/img]

#3480469 - 12/02/13 02:16 PM Re: QDM paying off big time! [Re: wobblegobble]
utfan1
10 Point

Loc: cleveland,tn

true to all of that. tn can grow good deer.
#3480532 - 12/02/13 02:41 PM Re: QDM paying off big time! [Re: utfan1]
Jmed
4 Point

Loc: Ooltewah

I agree and applaud. We are seeing the results of letting the little ones walk as well.
#3480589 - 12/02/13 03:14 PM Re: QDM paying off big time! [Re: Jmed]
Savage
8 Point

Loc: Crossville, TN

Awesome guys.

Here is my biggest issue. I have a 90 acre tract to hunt. Its long and narrow. No opportunity to plant food plot, develop it, etc. Its a working cattle farm.

I cant keep every buck on that property ALL the time. If you have one neighbor that doesnt adhere to QDM, it ruins the entire model. I may pass on that 120" 2 YO 8 point, but my neighbor who is used to shooting 18 m.o. deer may think he's a trophy and bust him.

Ive been passing immature deer for 12 years. In that time period, Ive killed 3 3.5yo bucks, and one 4.5. Ive literally passed probably 100 small bucks in the same time period, and at one time was running 8 trail cams. I have only 3 occurences during that time when I KNOW for a fact that I got pics of a 2.5 year old deer, and then pics of the same deer the following year.

QDM will work. It works good on large tracts of land where the deer basically stay on the same property all season. It works GREAT when everyone that may see that same deer are on the same playing field and of like mind set. A large majority of Tennesseans adhere to this mindset; however, for those of us hunting small pieces of property, the quality of deer will not reach its full potential with a 3 buck limit. We are limited on the size of deer we kill by the person in the area who has the lowest standards.

#3480607 - 12/02/13 03:34 PM Re: QDM paying off big time! [Re: Savage]
TheRealSpurhunter
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland & Bedford CO

I applaud your efforts Deaddownwind.
How much land do you run, and what county?

#3480678 - 12/02/13 04:36 PM Re: QDM paying off big time! [Re: TheRealSpurhunter]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

To each his own but when you see a 125"+ rack come bobbing through he woods towards you it's not the same as seeing those 100 inchers....and those 100 inchers don't make 125"+ by dying young. I fully understand the frustration of many hunters hunting smaller tracts of land because it's almost impossible to affect the dynamics of the buck population by their individual hunting styles and I wish I could offer a solution to their problem. Seeing and killing larger racked bucks can be very addictive and it can be contagious. It might be a wise move to sponsor some type of land owner/lease get together and put some type of plan on the board. You might be surprised.

#3480783 - 12/02/13 05:34 PM Re: QDM paying off big time! [Re: Mike Belt]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Whenever I get into these discussions, it always ends with me thinking "I need to accumulate a pile of money to buy land".

Then, I realize that I will never have enough money to buy the amount of land I need to implement a strong QDM program. I just despise the idea of spending big bucks every year to gain zero equity in anything (in leasing land), but maybe that still is my best option.

In a nutshell, I want to shoot 2-3 does a year for meat, and then have a reasonable chance at a respectable buck (say, 110"+)

My current situation - low expectations on buck quality, keep hunting public land (FREE), and shoot does when I get the chance.

Mike - as someone who hunts at Ames, do they offer members the chance to fill the freezer, or is it really only about antlers? I know you are allowed to shoot does at some point, but I don't recall the specifics.

Page 1 of 7 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
AKeys, GUIDO, Bnpainter, TannersDad, Bowkiller13
13380 Registered Users
Who's Online
91 registered (sgtwebb1, larry.boy.k, TNGal, Jcalder, WGK, feldmutze, 11 invisible) and 145 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13380 Members
42 Forums
95609 Topics
1118917 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.055 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.