Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3472885 - 11/27/13 09:44 AM Some good news on the ATT
JWW4
8 Point

Loc: Signal Mtn, TN

content Online
I got this letter from Corker this morning, many of you probably did as well. On its face it seems like good news for the 2A.

Dear JWW4,

Since you have contacted me in the past about protecting your Second Amendment right to bear arms, I wanted to update you on two letters I recently wrote to the President about the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty (ATT), expressing my opposition to it.

As you may know, after a number of conferences and drafting sessions, the United Nations approved final language for the ATT on April 2, 2013. Subsequently, on September 25, 2013, Secretary of State John Kerry signed the ATT on behalf of the United States.

However, before this treaty can take effect as a matter of U.S. law, the President must refer it to the Senate for its advice and consent, which he has not done. In addition, the treaty would have to receive two-thirds of the votes in the Senate to be ratified and become binding on the United States.

When it became clear that the Obama Administration was going to sign the treaty in the face of objections from many members of the Senate, including myself, I sent the attached letter to President Obama making clear that he does not have the authority to implement the treaty absent the ratification by the Senate and warning that he should not do so by executive order or any other means. On October 15, 2013, I signed an additional letter, also attached, with 50 of my colleagues stating that we will oppose ratification of the ATT because of major concerns with the treaty and the procedure by which it was adopted. As a result, it is unlikely that the ATT will come before the Senate.

The right to own firearms for shooting, hunting, and self-protection is important to me as a Tennessean and as an American. I will continue to be a consistent voice for the Second Amendment, and I will fight attempts to weaken those rights that are granted in the Constitution.

I hope this information is helpful to you and that you will share your views with me on this and other issues before Congress.

Sincerely,

Bob Corker
United States Senator

My Training Journal
http://www.gymwhisman.blogspot.com/

Like my farm on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mt-Top-Sheep-Farm/379848202142838

#3473681 - 11/27/13 08:04 PM Re: Some good news on the ATT [Re: JWW4]
Rebel
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee USA

While on the surface it does sound good, I believe the President can hold that treaty in his pocket until he has a 2/3 majority in the senate. I doubt he will get 2/3's majority in 2014 but considering that he won by fraud and many conservatives staying home in the presidential election, it won't surprise me if he ets his senate majority.

Oh, and one more thing, never trust Corker any farther than you can throw him.

Tolerance is a virtue of those who believe in nothing.

Deo Vindice

#3473693 - 11/27/13 08:07 PM Re: Some good news on the ATT [Re: Rebel]
Brogden
4 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I don't like how he labels the right to bear arms as just for shooting, hunting, and self protection. It should be in place to overthrow a tyrannical government if necessary as well.
#3474052 - 11/28/13 05:26 AM Re: Some good news on the ATT [Re: Rebel]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

Originally Posted By: Rebel
While on the surface it does sound good, I believe the President can hold that treaty in his pocket until he has a 2/3 majority in the senate. I doubt he will get 2/3's majority in 2014 but considering that he won by fraud and many conservatives staying home in the presidential election, it won't surprise me if he ets his senate majority.

Oh, and one more thing, never trust Corker any farther than you can throw him.

The Democrats changed the Senate rules and went "nuclear" for the very first time to be able to push though Obama's people into the US Court system.

What is going to keep them from changing more of the rules to get their way????

Something else people forget, most treaties are followed by the US ever though they have not passed the Senate.

#3474292 - 11/28/13 10:03 AM Re: Some good news on the ATT [Re: Wildcat]
flyinpro
Spike

Loc: Blount Co, TN

I take no comfort in anything Corker and especially anything Alexander says. The don't seem to stand for anything. This president does not care what the Consitution says or believes the amendments limit his power. Obama has violated the Consitution and elected senators & congresspersons stand around and waste money and time on committies and tv interviews. The country we love will not survive the next three years of the obama regime of taxes and regulations not vetted by a do nothing congress.

We look all over the world and see oppression by tyrannical governments. I think within 10 years we will need a armed Reveloution to take our country back from DC. It makes me sad but buy bullets while you still can as the rationing of such is coming. Just like the new healthcare scam is sure going to be used to eliminate those of us who identify as conservative Christians and resist the comming tyranny.

#3474533 - 11/28/13 01:30 PM Re: Some good news on the ATT [Re: flyinpro]
nodog
4 Point

Loc: Ohio

get a clue, government never ever protects personal freedom, it isn't in it's 20 at all and never has been.

Government sole reason for being is to ensure life liberty and happiness for all simply by the death of personal freedom when the people refuse to ensure it for all. If someone stabs someone in the back (not ensuring freedom for another) government takes some personal freedom away so that act doesn't happen again and it effects all.

A billion people have stabbed a billion people in the back, now you know why government is as large as it is.

You will get no 2nd amendment protections from government, it's up to us, we are the answer. If government refuses to kill personal freedom in the event of an abuse the abuse will just grow larger. If the people stop the abuse government will have no cause and the abuser no chance to give it one.

LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR! IT ISN'T A SUGGESTION.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
97 registered (OldGoat68, MUP, benellivol, Coldone, TN Whitetail Freak, tennesseejb, 10 invisible) and 202 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85621 Topics
1034594 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.23 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.