Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3469177 - 11/25/13 09:13 AM fredfred - getting a bear out?
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

fredfred,

Poser and I were thinking Saturday, "If we kill a bear, how do we get it out of here?" Getting it out of there would have meant down the mountain, across the water, and up the other side for us. Then we thought, "Dog hunters have no control over where the bear takes their dogs, how do they do it?"

So, how do you get a bear out?

#3469449 - 11/25/13 12:08 PM Re: fredfred - getting a bear out? [Re: WMAn]
fredfred
8 Point

Loc: crossville, tn

Lots of strong backs normally. There's normally 8-10 of us to get one out. I've always thought a plastic sled would be the ticket though. Putting one on a pole is the hardest way I've ever tried.

Democrats and liberals have turned our country into a bunch of SISSYS

#3469871 - 11/25/13 03:54 PM Re: fredfred - getting a bear out? [Re: fredfred]
blountcountyboy
8 Point

Loc: Blount CountyTN ya know over n...

You get them out like this if it's just you and another person.

142# dressed about 3 miles to the nearest road.

Or if you can't carry it you drag it. Me and a friend drug one for 6 1/2 hours. If it's hot you better have big packs and cut it up and carry it and the hide with the sex organs attached.

#3469989 - 11/25/13 05:02 PM Re: fredfred - getting a bear out? [Re: blountcountyboy]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Originally Posted By: blountcountyboy
You get them out like this if it's just you and another person.

Or if you can't carry it you drag it. Me and a friend drug one for 6 1/2 hours. If it's hot you better have big packs and cut it up and carry it and the hide with the sex organs attached.

Great pic.

Cutting up and carrying was going to be our preferred method, but Poser checked with TWRA. All bears must be brought out whole and checked in at a physical check-in station. Both regs would have been real problems for us had we killed a bear.

#3470695 - 11/26/13 02:17 AM Re: fredfred - getting a bear out? [Re: WMAn]
booche'
4 Point

Loc: Ooltewah, TN

Man I would like to do that one day. Don't know if I want to give one a piggyback ride though. I do think that a plastic roll out sled would be the ticket. The ones we used in the army for litters would really work nice. We could put whoever we wanted and drag that thing.
#3471498 - 11/26/13 01:49 PM Re: fredfred - getting a bear out? [Re: booche']
blountcountyboy
8 Point

Loc: Blount CountyTN ya know over n...

WMAn.... That's what kills me.. After we drug out the bear that took 6 1/2 hours a warden told us that we COULD quarter one up and pack out the meat and hide as long as the sex organs were attached to it.

Booche... yeah, you'll be covered with blood from head to toe when you "piggy back" a bear like this. I carried one that was 209 # (my heaviest to date) about a mile as well and it was all that I wanted. It's not bad until you hit those steep climbs. What is bad is being alone and having to carry the bear out and then go back to retrieve your gun, pack and dogs. That REALLY sucks and tests your sanity.

#3471838 - 11/26/13 05:28 PM Re: fredfred - getting a bear out? [Re: blountcountyboy]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
WMAn.... That's what kills me.. After we drug out the bear that took 6 1/2 hours a warden told us that we COULD quarter one up and pack out the meat and hide as long as the sex organs were attached to it.

Interesting. I was specifically told by TWRA that quartering with the sex organs attached to the hide would not be legal.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3471887 - 11/26/13 05:51 PM Re: fredfred - getting a bear out? [Re: Poser]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

Originally Posted By: Poser

Interesting. I was specifically told by TWRA that quartering with the sex organs attached to the hide would not be legal.

I'm pretty sure it depends on which one you ask. I've asked two, one said "yes", other said "no". I'm not sure what the current WMA manager for where I hunt thinks, so it's better to be safe than sorry. He seems to be really conservative with other issues, so I'm going to assume his answer is "no".

#3472058 - 11/26/13 06:54 PM Re: fredfred - getting a bear out? [Re: Poser]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Poser

The regulation says whole or field dressed. IMO, quartering is way beyond field dressing. I gave you the legal answer.

#3472392 - 11/26/13 09:34 PM Re: fredfred - getting a bear out? [Re: scn]
fredfred
8 Point

Loc: crossville, tn

Last year mine spoiled before I could get it out and home

Democrats and liberals have turned our country into a bunch of SISSYS

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
camohunter3, mtd, Higdon23, blcmrr2008, Urban deer Hunter
13270 Registered Users
Who's Online
103 registered (Takeum, fins&fur, OneShot, Coon_huntr4life, birddoginQ, duckriver, 13 invisible) and 125 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13270 Members
42 Forums
92986 Topics
1086629 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.11 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.