Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3455128 - 11/16/13 08:00 AM Hog Tied until Monday....
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

Anyone else get slapped with a bad wind some times and you can't go?

Thursday, I made the mistake of allowing myself to think that deer might just come from another direction than I KNOW they will and I'll be okay. I let that MONSTER in my mind sometimes and I need to work on that...I got busted twice by two different groups of deer. I never saw them but I definitely heard them blowing downwind of me.

I did see deer that morning. A spike and a doe came by me, both from "abnormal" directions......neither winded me of course, but it seems like nothing of consequence ever comes from "unexpected" directions....and if it does, it's in a bad way....lol.

I have three stands I can hunt on this one farm. None are set up for a south wind. The reason being is very simple.....the only access is from the south or east and all the deer movement comes from the north and west.....every bit of it..Well, the occasional straggler might come out of the south, but not every often. But, never from the east.

So east and south winds are not good for me. I can deal with a SW wind, but the best is straight west with northwest being the next best. North is not perfect for one stand but okay. North is good for the other two....

I remember a time when knowing or caring which way the wind was blowing meant nothing to me. Not being in stand on a weekend was very odd for me and never happened. I can also remember when I would hear much more deer blowing off in the distance than I do now or have for many years. And seeing bigger deer has gone up since those days as well. Deer aren't always cooperative when it comes to doing what I want them to do, so I do still get busted from time to time, even with a GOOD wind. The thing is, when I get busted with a good wind, I don't kick myself for being there because some things you just can't control, and deer that don't cooperate is one of them..lol.

Thursday, I did something uncharacteristic of the OLDER me....I went to a very good stand with a very bad wind and paid the price...

Now I sit here typing this wondering why the wind ever blows from the South in November, December or January.....is this a cruel joke, or what?

good luck to those with a GOOD wind today.

Edited by Bottom Hunter (11/16/13 08:02 AM)

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3455223 - 11/16/13 09:32 AM Re: Hog Tied until Monday.... [Re: Bottom Hunter]
landman
10 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

I've had to pass on hunting myself, and being on
a Very good deer too, had a Trigg co KY
farm that needed West, South and South East winds

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3455313 - 11/16/13 11:16 AM Re: Hog Tied until Monday.... [Re: landman]
onside
Spike

Loc: Lawrence County

Bottomhunter, I'm sitting here beating myself up for doing the exact same thing you did. Last night I decided not to go because of the forecasted SE wind. Then I got on here and saw some of these awesome bucks killed the last few days and it poisoned my brain.

Well I went this morning and sure enough deer started blowing as the sun came up. I immediately knew I shouldn't be there and climbed down and got out.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
AirCav!, five by five, Nolsgym, HeaterEngineer, truebowman
13303 Registered Users
Who's Online
103 registered (barkscaler, edtcase, moondawg, THEdonkey0515, McBryar32, RAFI, 16 invisible) and 163 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13303 Members
42 Forums
93942 Topics
1097295 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.104 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.