Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#345407 - 08/16/07 07:55 AM NATIVE VEGITATION.
89montero
10 Point

Loc: ParisTN Henry Co. TN /Roswell ...

How much can native vegetation be improved by liming and fertilizing?

And is this or can this be better then planting plots?

Native vegetation always comes up no matter what the weather. I know most of it is lower in protein then most food plot plantings.

But if we fertilize it and lime it can we improve it?

I see often time deer eating native vegetation in or near food plots.

Edited by 89montero (08/16/07 07:58 AM)

#345429 - 08/16/07 08:03 AM Re: NATIVE VEGITATION. [Re: 89montero]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Yes you can improve it, and when food plots arent an option fertilizing the existing (weeds) can help quite a bit!
#345465 - 08/16/07 08:14 AM Re: NATIVE VEGITATION. [Re: Winchester]
89montero
10 Point

If I don't get a new tractor real soon thats my only option.

Edited by 89montero (08/16/07 08:14 AM)

#345468 - 08/16/07 08:15 AM Re: NATIVE VEGITATION. [Re: 89montero]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

89montero,

I often recommend landowners lime, fertilize and disk sections of old overgrown pasture just as if it were a food plot. The native vegitation will respond to the lime and fertilizer just like an agricultural plant would. I've even seen deer specifically feed on patches of honeysuckle that were limed compared to other nearby patches that weren't limed.

Actually, some native vegetation, especially annual broadleaf weeds, can be just as if not more nutritious and digestible than the best agricultural plants. Remember, deer are a weed-eating species. When available, weeds comprise the majority of their diet. In addition, weeds are much more drought tolerant than agricultural crops. My food plots are all completely dead from the drought, but the ragweed and polk growing at the edges of the plot are doing just fine.

In a study done at Auburn quite a few years ago, where they used observers in high towers to watch and record which agricultural plants (food plot plants) deer were eating most frequently, they found that the deer--with free-choice to eat from multiple food plots--spent the majority of their time feeding on the limed and fertilized weeds growing around the edges of the plots instead of on the plants in the plots themselves

I have several thin-soiled ridge-top plots that I specifically manage for growth into weeds in the summer time. These plots will see much more food production and usage by deer in the summer than food plots. I highly recommend that every property have non-forested areas that are used specifically for weed production in summer. They can be disked, limed and fertilized in spring and then just left to grow up naturally over the summer. These areas can even be disked in fall and used as a cereal grain food plots for hunting season (as all of the annual weeds will die with the first frost anyways).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#345472 - 08/16/07 08:18 AM Re: NATIVE VEGITATION. [Re: BSK]
89montero
10 Point

Thanks for the info guys...

#345474 - 08/16/07 08:19 AM Re: NATIVE VEGITATION. [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

If it weren't for the weed/plant production in some of my small ridge-top plots and the amazing production of forage in two power-line right-of-ways that cross my property, the deer on my place would be in a world of hurt. In my agricultural food plots there is not a sprig of anything green. The are completely dead. Yet the power-line right-of-ways are chest-high in exceptional deer forage, including honeysuckle, desmodium, aster, polk and ragweed. The native plants in those power-line right-of-ways are doing exceptionally well even in this severe drought.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#345524 - 08/16/07 08:40 AM Re: NATIVE VEGITATION. [Re: BSK]
89montero
10 Point

Weeds are natural ag plantings and lawns are not. And anything thats natural is going to succeed. I guess?

#345787 - 08/16/07 10:44 AM Re: NATIVE VEGITATION. [Re: 89montero]
BSK
Non-Typical

Native weeds are naturally drought adapted. Agricultural crops are not. They have been selectively bred for maximum growth and/or seed production in optimum conditions, not terrible conditions.

#346715 - 08/16/07 06:53 PM Re: NATIVE VEGITATION. [Re: BSK]
156p&y
10 Point

Loc: Franklin Tn

Originally Posted By: BSK
The native plants in those power-line right-of-ways are doing exceptionally well even in this severe drought.

So was ours until about two days ago. I went to just look and see what kind of damage the deer had done to them recently. It wasn't extremely noticeable but I did notice all the native weeds where starting to wilt. If they die off, then what do I do to help the herd or what will the deer eat?

#347636 - 08/17/07 07:07 AM Re: NATIVE VEGITATION. [Re: 156p&y]
BSK
Non-Typical

Deer will be shifting more and more towards food sources in the lowest, wettest area.

Nothing else you can do buy pray for rain.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Moore Land, jackal, baydog, blueticks, always_running92
13301 Registered Users
Who's Online
19 registered (easy45, BraveScout, SX3Mike, jmoreland, TN Larry, tn droptine, 4 invisible) and 80 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13301 Members
42 Forums
85729 Topics
1036006 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.255 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.