Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3437840 - 11/05/13 06:12 PM Barrel swabbing
lung-buster
10 Point

Loc: Southern Middle Tn

Seems like I read most people don't swab there barrel after every shot. I know from what I read that bh209 burns clean but pyrodex is very dirty. Do you guys that shoot pyrodex that don't clean between shots tell the difference when shooting a clean bore? I'm OCD I guess and clean the barrel after every shot. My brain is wired to think a dirty bore will perform different with each shot that is made without cleaning. Just curious.
#3437946 - 11/05/13 06:56 PM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: lung-buster]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

When using pyro, I always run a wet patch down the tube after every shot, or I couldnt load the next shot hardly.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3437954 - 11/05/13 07:00 PM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: lung-buster]
Killing time
4 Point

Loc: West Tennesse

You have to clean after every shot with Pyrodex, or your gonna have a difficult time gettin the sabot/bullet down the bore. I use a little solvent on a patch. Some people just use saliva. I prefer solvent. Either way, swab it.

#3438275 - 11/05/13 09:28 PM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: Killing time]
TennesseeJed
4 Point

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

I use Goex black powder rather than Pyrodex and I clean between shots. I have a couple of rifles that I could shoot three or four times before they get really fouled but still clean between shots anyway.

#3438679 - 11/06/13 07:53 AM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: TennesseeJed]
iowavf
10 Point

Loc: southwest iowa

When I was shooting powerbelts with pyrodex I had my gun sighted in with a dirty barrel so i didn't have to swab between shots. I could shoot 5 or 6 times before needing to clean, but my 1st shot from a clean barrel was always off. I tried some shockwaves and couldn't get the second one loaded using pyrodex. Since blackhorn came out not sure why you would want to use pyrodex anymore?
#3438688 - 11/06/13 08:00 AM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: iowavf]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

I do whatever my gun likes. In other words, if my muzzleloader is shooting better on a dirty barrel then I'm not swabbing after every shot. If I find my accuracy is suffering and that swabbing after every other shot or something like that helps then that is what I do. Trial and error I suppose.

#3438886 - 11/06/13 09:53 AM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: BlountArrow]
infoman jr.
10 Point

Loc: Elizabethtown, KY

I run a patch down my after every shot using Pyrodex. After late MZ season, I'm changing to blackhorn.

#3439652 - 11/06/13 05:58 PM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: infoman jr.]
UTGrad
16 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

content Online
Blackhorn doesn't require swabbing but here's the thing.

My first shot at a deer is from a clean barrel. I don't like to leave any muzzleloader "fouled". I sight in my muzzleloader based off a clean bore. The POI of the clean bore is what matters to me...not how many times I can shoot without swabbing.

#3439668 - 11/06/13 06:04 PM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: UTGrad]
Wobblyshot1
8 Point

Loc: Rutherford County

^^^^^^^^^^^
Good Advice
N.M.L.R.A. Member
I like Flintlocks!

#3439817 - 11/07/13 04:30 AM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: Wobblyshot1]
MUP
Non-Typical

But what if a second shot is needed? I shoot whatever my ML likes...one shoots either clean or fouled so no problem there, but, the CVA likes a fouled barrel, so I have fouled barrel when I go to the field. Now, with BH209, my hope is that I won't have to swab after my initial shot regardless, IF a second shot is needed, which it has been only 3 times in my hunting life ever, but still, it was needed. I'll clean/swab as needed, whenever needed, but if I can get two shots the same or close by just reloading quickly, I'll choose that over one shot and a need to clean before taking another. \:\)

#3439848 - 11/07/13 05:11 AM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: MUP]
warpheagle
4 Point

Loc: N. Alabama

I am also a Blackhorn shooter, whenever possible I always swab barrel. When at the range sighting in, I always swab between every shot, to make sure scope is dead on. If first shot is dead on, hopefully you won't need a second shot. I have found a second shot to be a lot closer to dead on with blackhorn than with black powder, or 777, or any other substitute, but swab whenever possible. Other than smokeless, Blackhorn is by far the best.
#3439893 - 11/07/13 05:58 AM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: warpheagle]
MUP
Non-Typical

Dry patch or wet? I've been caught up in the "no need to swab with BH209" that I just didn't even consider swabbing after my shots. I may swab anyway now, just to see if I can improve accuracy. ;\) Heck, I'm used to it anyway after using Pyrodex for so long.

#3440009 - 11/07/13 07:30 AM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: MUP]
warpheagle
4 Point

Loc: N. Alabama

When I'm swabbing between shots, I use a "spit patch", a patch I've held in my mouth for a little bit to make it moist. Swab it, turn patch over, and swab again. Good enough for reasonable accuracy. Then deep clean when I get home.
#3440024 - 11/07/13 07:36 AM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: MUP]
iowavf
10 Point

Shooting blackhorn is sorta like shooting your rifle, do you swab your rifle between shots?
#3440200 - 11/07/13 08:46 AM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: iowavf]
MUP
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: iowavf
Shooting blackhorn is sorta like shooting your rifle, do you swab your rifle between shots?

Kinda what I was thinking/doing when I first shot it a couple days ago. I wonder if a dry patch, to "knock the dust" off would improve accuracy? It's not smokeless powder, is it?

#3440248 - 11/07/13 09:07 AM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: iowavf]
lung-buster
10 Point

Loc: Southern Middle Tn

When I was shooting powerbelts with pyrodex I had my gun sighted in with a dirty barrel so i didn't have to swab between shots. I could shoot 5 or 6 times before needing to clean, but my 1st shot from a clean barrel was always off. I tried some shockwaves and couldn't get the second one loaded using pyrodex. Since blackhorn came out not sure why you would want to use pyrodex anymore?
after reading about having to use different primers, need a new breech plug, I shoot a clean bore every shot, cleaning my optima is a breeze any way and it shoots great with pyrodex, ill stick with it until I run out of my current supplies.

#3440347 - 11/07/13 09:57 AM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: MUP]
iowavf
10 Point

Originally Posted By: MUP

Kinda what I was thinking/doing when I first shot it a couple days ago. I wonder if a dry patch, to "knock the dust" off would improve accuracy? It's not smokeless powder, is it?
No it's not smokeless but found I could shoot 10 times in a row and still have a pretty good pattern between the 1st shot and the last. I suppose it could make a little difference depending on which gun you shoot and the fit of your sabot/bullet combination, so if a person was having some grouping issues then try running a patch after a couple shots and see if it makes a difference.

#3440446 - 11/07/13 10:42 AM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: lung-buster]
caretaker
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Rufe Miller Cemetary

Originally Posted By: lung-buster
after reading about having to use different primers, need a new breech plug, I shoot a clean bore every shot, cleaning my optima is a breeze any way and it shoots great with pyrodex, ill stick with it until I run out of my current supplies.

I agree. I have a supply of pyrodex and clean shot. Just don`t see buying a breach plug and powder and different primers when what I have is working fine. I spit swab after 3 or 4 shots. Clean when finished shooting. Pyrodex in the wolf and cleanshot in the knight.

Stupid is as stupid does

#3440448 - 11/07/13 10:42 AM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: iowavf]
MUP
Non-Typical

Cool. I'm just trying to improve on my 2.5" group @ 100yds, but again, this was my first outing with the BH209 powder, and I only shot 3 different charge weights. I still want to experiment with a little different weight combos off the most successful gr weight I used that day...and maybe some bullet combos in the future as well.

#3440452 - 11/07/13 10:43 AM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: MUP]
MUP
Non-Typical

Oh btw folks, I shot KleanBore 209 primers, thru a stock CVA Kodiak Mag factory BP with no problems using the BH209.

#3440731 - 11/07/13 01:22 PM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: UTGrad]
Tennessee Lead
8 Point

Loc: Putnam County, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: UTGrad
Blackhorn doesn't require swabbing but here's the thing.

My first shot at a deer is from a clean barrel. I don't like to leave any muzzleloader "fouled". I sight in my muzzleloader based off a clean bore. The POI of the clean bore is what matters to me...not how many times I can shoot without swabbing.

Agreed

#3440837 - 11/07/13 02:53 PM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: Tennessee Lead]
luvtohunt
4 Point

Loc: Perry Co.

Shot my CVA Apex with stainless barrel a couple of days before juvy. I put it back up without swabbing. Got it out last night to clean/load and I now have a rust pit on the crown of the barrel! I am kicking myself right now and pissed too! I shoot the BH209.

Edited by luvtohunt (11/07/13 02:54 PM)

#3440841 - 11/07/13 02:55 PM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: MUP]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

I shoot 777 and a fouled barrel out of my White G-series, and I do not swab between shots. I can shoot up to 11 shots before the accuracy starts slipping and loading becomes difficult.
#3441475 - 11/07/13 09:03 PM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: TNDeerGuy]
Killing time
4 Point

Loc: West Tennesse

With anything but BH209, your supposed to clean your rifle after shooting, as anything else is highly corrosive, not to mention needing a stick of dynamite to free your breech plug...so why does it make a difference if you swab ? Your gonna shoot with a clean barrel anyway....that is, if you clean it like you should. I understand fouling the barrel of a centerfire makes it more accurate, but not a MZ. After several shots, your accuracy will decrease. Every gun and powder/bullet combo is different, so some might have more or less shots before that happens. Personally, i wont leave my ML dirty. And unless something freaky happens to my scope, first shot out of a clean barrel is right where i want it. But then again...i shoot a Knight. Jk guys. If it works for you, great.

#3441543 - 11/07/13 09:42 PM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: Killing time]
TeamMainStreet
10 Point

Loc: Union County,Tn

happy Online
So for you guys that are zeroed with a fouled barrel, what's the best way to go about fouling your barrel before going hunting? When I zeroed my wolf in the other day I did not swab between shots. I got it dialed in, swabbed and shot it again and hit way high. Fired a couple more and it came right back to where I had it.

Dont tread on me

#3441544 - 11/07/13 09:42 PM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: Killing time]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Killing time
With anything but BH209, your supposed to clean your rifle after shooting, as anything else is highly corrosive, not to mention needing a stick of dynamite to free your breech plug...so why does it make a difference if you swab ? Your gonna shoot with a clean barrel anyway....that is, if you clean it like you should. I understand fouling the barrel of a centerfire makes it more accurate, but not a MZ. After several shots, your accuracy will decrease. Every gun and powder/bullet combo is different, so some might have more or less shots before that happens. Personally, i wont leave my ML dirty. And unless something freaky happens to my scope, first shot out of a clean barrel is right where i want it. But then again...i shoot a Knight. Jk guys. If it works for you, great.

You're incorrect about a clean muzzleloading barrel is more accurate than a dirty one—some are much more accurate and hold much better patterns with a dirty barrel, but then again...some aren't. Shooting 777, mine will hold a 3-shot 2-3" group high and left at 50 yards with a clean barrel, foul it and then fire consecutive shots without swabbing and my 3-shot group will hold a pattern under 1" at 50yds right on the X and I can hold that kind of group up to 11 shots without swabbing before that pattern starts to break.

#3441546 - 11/07/13 09:43 PM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: TeamMainStreet]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Originally Posted By: TeamMainStreet
So for you guys that are zeroed with a fouled barrel, what's the best way to go about fouling your barrel before going hunting? When I zeroed my wolf in the other day I did not swab between shots. I got it dialed in, swabbed and shot it again and hit way high. Fired a couple more and it came right back to where I had it.

Load 30gr, put a cap on and pull the trigger. \:\)

#3441550 - 11/07/13 09:46 PM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: TNDeerGuy]
TeamMainStreet
10 Point

happy Online
 Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy

Pellets? I guess 50 grain wouldn't matter. Just drop one in, cap it and snap it?

Dont tread on me

#3441579 - 11/07/13 10:08 PM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: TeamMainStreet]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy

Pellets? I guess 50 grain wouldn't matter. Just drop one in, cap it and snap it?

yep...that would work as well

#3441602 - 11/07/13 10:28 PM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: TNDeerGuy]
TeamMainStreet
10 Point

happy Online
Ok thanks

Dont tread on me

#3441713 - 11/08/13 05:30 AM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: lung-buster]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

If I don't swab I have a difficult time loading....so I swab. even with white hots.

#3442710 - 11/08/13 06:04 PM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: TeamMainStreet]
jlmustain
6 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

If I'm sighting, I do so on a clean barrel. I don't want to know about my second shot on a dirty barrel because I don't want to have to take a second shot. Once I'm zeroed with a clean barrel, I'll check my second shot. Most of the time I've found that my second shot is a hair low, but minimally so--the deer would still die. For me, if I miss with the first shot and that buck sits there waiting on me to take a second, I'm not swabbing before I reload.

#3442746 - 11/08/13 06:23 PM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: jlmustain]
MUP
Non-Typical

For the record, my "second shot" scenario wasn't intended to imply an initial miss, but a second shot needed to finish off the animal...which has happened 3 times in my hunting life.

#3448519 - 11/12/13 07:59 AM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: iowavf]
Frank G
8 Point

Loc: Hardin Co, TN Pickwick Lake

With my CVA the first round is (for some reason) allways low and to the right, the next 4 are grouped right on target. I use power belt with pyrodex pellets.

#3450308 - 11/13/13 08:40 AM Re: Barrel swabbing [Re: Frank G]
iowavf
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Frank G

With my CVA the first round is (for some reason) allways low and to the right, the next 4 are grouped right on target. I use power belt with pyrodex pellets.
I'm sure if i would have zeroed mine with the barrel always being clean, the 1st shot would be on the money. I just didn't like the thought of carrying patches and swabbing here in Iowa during the winter. So I decided to see how the gun would group after the 1st shot with dirty barrel. Was happy with the groups so that's how I always hunted. I would load the gun and either shoot it the night before or on my way to my place the next morning before hunting. My 1st shot with clean barrel was usually 10" or so high and 3" to the right just about every time.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PGIC, jmccormick24, emtp, Hozzie, crushing
13529 Registered Users
Who's Online
57 registered (bowhunterfanatic, ntimad8r, West_tenn, BamaProud, chrmayo, Aquaholic, 6 invisible) and 143 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13529 Members
42 Forums
99054 Topics
1164576 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.048 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.