Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 5 <12345
Topic Options
#3436075 - 11/04/13 06:19 PM Re: Should I be scared of a diesel? [Re: wayne]
tailchaser
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I'm a Dodge man myself but imo Chevy's diesel is at the bottom of the 3,I've work over the road pulling trailers for years and have drove all 3,have had the lease problems with Dodge,I think Fords are nicer trucks than Dodge, but for motors cummins all the way.If you don't mind the high cost of fuel you'll love a diesel.
#3436282 - 11/04/13 07:57 PM Re: Should I be scared of a diesel? [Re: wayne]
medic
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

Originally Posted By: wayne
UPDATE: It is an '07 NOT an '05...if that makes any difference. The truck was bought at the dealership, traded 2 years later at the same dealer, traded again at the same dealership, and the dealer's grandson has been driving it since. All service was done at this same dealership. The grandson said it gets 15 mpg loaded or empty. No mods have been done except for exhaust upgrade from the cat back.

If they can show the paper work were the head gasket and studs were replaced then the price is about right from a dealer. 15 mpg is about right to empty it will get about 10-12 mpg with a good size camper behind it.

Working in EMS I've driven all three of the diesels in some forum of an ambulance and they get the dog piss drove out of them . I still think the 6.0 is the best of all if the proper upgrades have been done. The thing is about bullet proof and will smoke the Duramax or Cummins and does not have the expensive up keep like the newer models of any one of the three. The transmisson behind the 6.0 is just as good as the allison behind the duramax.
Just remember any diesel was made to work and driving it like a soccer mom will choke any of them down.

#3436402 - 11/04/13 08:38 PM Re: Should I be scared of a diesel? [Re: medic]
infoman jr.
10 Point

Loc: Elizabethtown, KY

content Online
'03 6.0 owner here. Talk to Eric at Innovative Diesel to get your SCT tunes. I've enjoyed mine.

You should be able to get a king ranch for 5-6k less with the same year and mileage.

#3436845 - 11/05/13 07:13 AM Re: Should I be scared of a diesel? [Re: infoman jr.]
medic
8 Point

Originally Posted By: infoman jr.
'03 6.0 owner here. Talk to Eric at Innovative Diesel to get your SCT tunes. I've enjoyed mine.

You should be able to get a king ranch for 5-6k less with the same year and mileage.

Eric is the best.

#3436883 - 11/05/13 07:37 AM Re: Should I be scared of a diesel? [Re: medic]
Urban_Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

Please do some reading before even considering the Ford 6.0. They get a "bad rap" because they are wallet wrecker. You have to pull the cab loose to get the head bolt out! Oh, did I mention you have to remove the heads to replace the HP O-rings that fail every 100,000 miles. They are strong beasts when running, but as unrealiable as a diesel could possibly be. Check out what they charge for injectors on that thing, you will tear up just thinking about it. I have worked on them all.. many times... and I have decided to NOT work on these models. The repair is often so expensive that I get stuck with the thing in my garage because the owner doesn't have $3,000 for a repair. I'm not a Ford hater either, I drive one. Either pony up and go newer or throttle down to the 7.3. That 7.3 is IMO one of the best engines EVER put on wheels.

The cummins is great as well, you can find that engine in most any HD application, from dump trucks to combines.

Duramax of course is an Isuzu, which is a blessing and a curse. I think you will find that guys who are serious about their work and depend on their trucks for a living go with either Ford or Cummins.

You're never to old to learn something stupid.

#3436919 - 11/05/13 08:01 AM Re: Should I be scared of a diesel? [Re: Urban_Hunter]
medic
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Urban_Hunter
Please do some reading before even considering the Ford 6.0. They get a "bad rap" because they are wallet wrecker. You have to pull the cab loose to get the head bolt out! Oh, did I mention you have to remove the heads to replace the HP O-rings that fail every 100,000 miles. They are strong beasts when running, but as unrealiable as a diesel could possibly be. Check out what they charge for injectors on that thing, you will tear up just thinking about it. I have worked on them all.. many times... and I have decided to NOT work on these models. The repair is often so expensive that I get stuck with the thing in my garage because the owner doesn't have $3,000 for a repair. I'm not a Ford hater either, I drive one. Either pony up and go newer or throttle down to the 7.3. That 7.3 is IMO one of the best engines EVER put on wheels.

The cummins is great as well, you can find that engine in most any HD application, from dump trucks to combines.

Duramax of course is an Isuzu, which is a blessing and a curse. I think you will find that guys who are serious about their work and depend on their trucks for a living go with either Ford or Cummins.

I will have to disagree with you on the 6.0 been junk. Yes they are expensive to work on as is all the newer diesels the cabs have to come off of all of the newer fords. As for the oil seals that problem was mostly on the 03 and 04 models the 06 he is looking at should be fine but anything can break.
The 7.3 is the most reliable motor out there but not the strongest. Take care of the 6.0 AFTER the head studs have been replaced and the EGR deleted and it will last as long as any of them. I have put thousands of some of the hardest miles you can put on them and after the company's I worked for repaired them as I suggested they never had another problem.
I will agree that anyone looking at any diesel after '03 should do a lot of reading about all brands before buying. They all have their own unique problems and expense to repair.

#3436960 - 11/05/13 08:24 AM Re: Should I be scared of a diesel? [Re: medic]
TheRealSpurhunter
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland & Bedford CO

I peed and moaned about towing capacity for years, and finally bit the bullet and bought an 07 GMC DM with the 6 speed Allison. Power is unreal, smooth shifting I thought was impossible in a truck. Millage is not great, if I drive it easy on the HWY I can get 17-19, city is 14. While you dont feel much when towing, it drops to 9-12 mpg. Am I happy with it, hell yes. Its a race car on a truck frame.

#3437020 - 11/05/13 08:57 AM Re: Should I be scared of a diesel? [Re: medic]
Urban_Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: medic

I will have to disagree with you on the 6.0 been junk. Yes they are expensive to work on as is all the newer diesels the cabs have to come off of all of the newer fords. As for the oil seals that problem was mostly on the 03 and 04 models the 06 he is looking at should be fine but anything can break.
The 7.3 is the most reliable motor out there but not the strongest. Take care of the 6.0 AFTER the head studs have been replaced and the EGR deleted and it will last as long as any of them. I have put thousands of some of the hardest miles you can put on them and after the company's I worked for repaired them as I suggested they never had another problem.
I will agree that anyone looking at any diesel after '03 should do a lot of reading about all brands before buying. They all have their own unique problems and expense to repair.

Just to be clear... the head stud repair you mention can EASILY reach the $5000 mark. You are talking about machining the heads, all new gaskets, seals, etc... and Replacing those two STUPID O-Rings... who came up with that anyways? Should be drug outside, beaten severely, and shot in the foot. My point with my post is that the 6.0's can be found cheap. That however is NOT an indication of a good deal. They are ticking time bombs. They will have problems, and they will cost exponentially more to repair than other diesels built during that time. Just know saving the initial 3-5k on the purchase, you will be faced with that in repairs down the road. That is assuming you are not pulling a time critical load and stranded on the side of the road because the oil O-Ring failed and it shut itself off On a positive note, at least it shuts itself off!

Please realize, I have no reason to have this stance other than personal experience with them. I love the 7.3, and I like the new Ford diesels (08+) It isn't a ford vs chevy or dodge thing.

You're never to old to learn something stupid.

#3437307 - 11/05/13 11:38 AM Re: Should I be scared of a diesel? [Re: medic]
HowattHS
4 Point

Loc: Lebanon, TN

I have a 1999 7.3 turbo diesel that I am looking to sell. Just too much truck for me. Nashville area. Call me if interested. 159k miles, manual 6 speed.

931-239-ninetwofour.five

#3437356 - 11/05/13 12:03 PM Re: Should I be scared of a diesel? [Re: TheRealSpurhunter]
jos3ywales
14 Point

Loc: Norris Dam

Originally Posted By: TheRealSpurhunter
I peed and moaned about towing capacity for years, and finally bit the bullet and bought an 07 GMC DM with the 6 speed Allison. Power is unreal, smooth shifting I thought was impossible in a truck. Millage is not great, if I drive it easy on the HWY I can get 17-19, city is 14. While you dont feel much when towing, it drops to 9-12 mpg. Am I happy with it, hell yes. Its a race car on a truck frame.

good looking rig

"Let God in he will save you all you have to do is ask"

"I'm a legend in my own mind"

Jos3ywales

Page 5 of 5 <12345

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Deadeye14, woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
80 registered (Rob R., LSUtigers, mossyhorns300, Rubberduck270, Brisco Darlin, cbhunter, 6 invisible) and 114 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
88968 Topics
1040794 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.208 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.