Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3425188 - 10/29/13 04:31 AM God is "optional"?
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

God Is 'Optional'
The Air Force Academy is attempting to side step Mikey Weinstein's complaint by suggesting the inclusion of "so help me God" in the Honor Code will be voluntary. "We work to build a culture of dignity and respect, and that respect includes the ability of our cadets, Airmen and civilian Airmen to freely practice and exercise their religious preference -- or not," said Lt. Gen. Michelle D. Johnson, Academy Superintendent. "So, in the spirit of respect, cadets may or may not choose to finish the Honor Oath with 'So help me God.'" But the fact is, in military and civilian oaths, "so help me God" is already elective, not mandatory. Read the real story here...

http://patriotpost.us/articles/21200

AFA Oath Games?

Weinstein's Target Is NOT Honor Code

Oct. 25, 2013

101 Comments

Tweet

Print Email Bigger Smaller

2012 Cadet Handbook

Getting it partially right, Fox News reported this week that the Air Force Academy is contemplating the removal of “so help me God” from its Cadet Honor Oath. However, on the facing page in Contrails, the Academy's official handbook, “so help me God” has already been removed from the Cadet and Officer oaths. (Click to View)

As first reported by Mark Alexander last May in “The DoD's Frontal Assault on Faith,” up until 2011, the Cadet Contrails handbook contained the words “so help me God” in bold letters after the Cadet and Officer oaths. However, under the tenure of AFA Superintendent, Lt. Gen. Mike Gould, those words were removed from the Class of 2015 handbooks, and are absent in all subsequent year editions of Contrails. (Notably, the cadet and officer oaths at the Naval Academy and West Point have not been altered.)

In 2012, when Alexander first asked the AFA's Public Affairs Office who had ordered the removal and why, the PAO dodged the question for two days, then on the third request responded tersely that Alexander could file a “Freedom of Information Act” request. In other words: “Take a hike.” Alexander is now in the process of filing an FOIA.

This week, Barack Obama's top military appointees at the AFA claimed that their review of “so help me God” in the Cadet Honor Oath is the result of a challenge by ultra-leftist Mikey Weinstein's so-called “Military Religious Freedom Foundation” (MRFF). In fact, Weinstein, who was tapped by Obama earlier this year to “consult” with DoD on faith expression in the military, is little more than an atheist proxy for the Obama administration. He is a surrogate doing the bidding of the most faith-intolerant regime in the history of our Republic.*

Of course, if any military officer publicly suggested this was their CINC's agenda, they would face a court-martial.

The Obama/MRFF strategy: Weinstein's target is much bigger than the AFA Honor Oath. Given that AFA administrators have already removed “so help me God” from the Cadet and Officer oaths, they have defaulted in favor of Weinstein's legal case. It will be difficult for the AFA to argue for retaining “so help me God” in the Honor oath, given that administrators have already removed it from the Cadet and Officer oaths. Thus, if Weinstein “wins” a legal challenge against the AFA, he will undoubtedly pursue “domino effect” rulings to amending oaths in the other Service Academies – and by extension throughout the Service Branches.

Alexander's colleague, Lt. Gen. (Ret.) William “Jerry” Boykin, notes, “The very troops who defend our religious freedom are at risk of having their own taken away. The worst thing we can do is stop soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines, especially for the chaplains, from the free exercise of their faith.”

The AFA leadership is attempting to side step Weinstein's complaint by suggesting the inclusion of “so help me God” in the Honor Code will be voluntary. “We work to build a culture of dignity and respect, and that respect includes the ability of our cadets, Airmen and civilian Airmen to freely practice and exercise their religious preference - or not,” said Lt. Gen. Michelle D. Johnson, Academy Superintendent. “So, in the spirit of respect, cadets may or may not choose to finish the Honor Oath with 'So help me God.'”

But the fact is, “so help me God” is already elective. While 5 U.S.C. § 3331 specifies the inclusion of “so help me God” for both military and civilian oaths, it is understood that these words are elective under our Constitution's Article VI prohibition of any religious test for public office. However, it is no longer elective in the AFA Cadet and Officer oaths because the words have been removed!

Moreover, according to the most recent Air Force Instruction issued by the Secretary of the Air Force, section 1.4. Oath, subsection 1.4.1. Enlistment Oath and 1.4.2. Oath of Office (Commissioning Oath) both specify “So help me God.” Further, the SecAF orders “Compliance with this publication is mandatory.”

Dr. Hans Mueh (Brig. Gen., Ret.), who was tasked with formulating the Honor oath in 1984, “To add more seriousness to the oath, we decided to mirror the commissioning oath and add the words, 'so help me, God.'” But there is nothing there to mirror now!

At best, the AFA is not in compliance with the SecAF's mandate regarding oaths, and any military officer(s) who approved the oath alterations could be subject to prosecution under UCMJ Articles 90 and 92. At worst, somebody has conspired with Weinstein to lay up a legal “gimme,” which he can ultimately parlay into the removal of “so help me God” from every military oath.

So the question remains, who ordered the removal of “so help me God” from the 2011 Cadet handbook, and why? Of note, in 2010, when the Cadet and Officer oaths were modified, Weinstein described himself as a “close confidant” of then-Superintendent Gould.

Bottom line: Under the pretense of “religious tolerance,” Barack Obama's administration has been quietly advancing his mandate to remove any expression or manifestation of faith, particularly Christianity, from government forums – first and foremost, the U.S. military, where he has the most direct authority. His civilian “leaders” at DoD have ramped up that eradication, even threatening UCMJ charges against military personnel whose expression of faith might be interpreted as “proselytizing.”

Obama and his Leftist cadres should heed this formative advice on faith in the military, from an order issued by General George Washington ahead of Valley Forge: “While we are zealously performing the duties of good citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be inattentive to the higher duties of religion. To the distinguished character of Patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian.” Twenty years later, President Washington wrote, “Let it simply be asked where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths…”

Editor's Note: This column was updated Saturday, 26 October. In his Thursday, 31 October column, Mark Alexander will be providing more details on Michael Weinstein and the Obama/MRFF strategy to remove “so help me God” from all Armed Services oaths.

*(The MRFF is dedicated to freedom from religion, not freedom of religion. In 2011, Weinstein demanded and received an apology from AFA Commandant of Cadets, Brig. Gen. Richard Clark, for authorizing cadet support of “Operation Christmas Child,” which assembles and fills millions of shoe boxes with toys, school supplies and other gifts for impoverished children in 130 countries! Weinstein objected because OCC places a Christian tract in those boxes.)

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3425194 - 10/29/13 04:42 AM Re: God is "optional"? [Re: MUP]
hunter0925
8 Point

Loc: TN, Rhea,

Definitely sad. Makes me happier that I got out when I did. I see no honor in being in this country's military any longer.

#3425329 - 10/29/13 07:24 AM Re: God is "optional"? [Re: hunter0925]
iowavf
10 Point

Loc: southwest iowa

The honor is there, just not for the one's who are making these types of decisions!
#3425879 - 10/29/13 12:43 PM Re: God is "optional"? [Re: iowavf]
in the dog house!
16 Point

Loc: west tn

Μολων λαβε

#3425904 - 10/29/13 12:55 PM Re: God is "optional"? [Re: in the dog house!]
preds1
12 Point

Loc: Sumner County

Sure, God can be optional. Too bad hell isn't.
#3426034 - 10/29/13 02:06 PM Re: God is "optional"? [Re: preds1]
AndyW
10 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

There will be some folks wishing He was optional on judgement day.

#3432056 - 11/02/13 11:56 AM Re: God is "optional"? [Re: AndyW]
nodog
4 Point

Loc: Ohio

I've had issues personally with oaths, God says make none because you got nothing to back them up, we don't even own a hair on our heads.

God is never optional, either He keeps things from becoming chaotic or He doesn't. If God removed His hand from the world it would dissolve faster than when He spoke it into existence.

#3432179 - 11/02/13 02:03 PM Re: God is "optional"? [Re: preds1]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: preds1
Sure, God can be optional. Too bad hell isn't.

I was just fixing to say, yes God is optional, always has been.
Hell ain't though.

#3433097 - 11/03/13 03:46 AM Re: God is "optional"? [Re: RUGER]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

\:\(

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  gtk, Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (rbreedi1, Polar Kraft, kldeerkiller, Redwing) and 102 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.