Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3427204 - 10/30/13 07:32 AM Need bow advice
tn/kyhunter
4 Point

Loc: Cookeville TN

My 17 yr old daughter has a new boyfriend that has really gotten her interest peaked into hunting. Yeah this makes me a proud daddy for sure. Anyway she has decided she wants to get into via a bow. Excited to say the least. Any advise on how to go about getting her set up properly would be greatly appreciated. She does not live with me so seeing her is not that often (busy teenage daughter things ya know). Advise on a good starter bow and getting her set up. Thanks in advance.
#3427209 - 10/30/13 07:36 AM Re: Need bow advice [Re: tn/kyhunter]
leader
16 Point

Loc: Knox

Buy cheap and used or a gun you like so if it doesn't take, your not out much.
Her hunting interest may wain with a break-up.
Teenage love....

#3427215 - 10/30/13 07:39 AM Re: Need bow advice [Re: tn/kyhunter]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

Take her to a bow shop and have her try different bows.

You don't choose your bow, your bow chooses you. Choosing a bow that is wrong for her build based on color, style or brand name can and will lead to poor form, accuracy and hard-to-break bad habits.

Since she is new, I recommend an afternoon at a bow shop shooting different bows to find the one that feels right to her. Once she knows what bow she wants, you can trick it out and customize it to fit her personal style and likes.

Get the bow that she can pull at Max weight. Bows don't shoot right when you tune them down so buying one she can't quite pull back and figuring you can crank up the lbs. as she grows into it, makes good economic sense, but not practical. It could cost her a deer or confidence in her ability.

IMO

#3427391 - 10/30/13 09:31 AM Re: Need bow advice [Re: Crappie Luck]
ffmedic
4 Point

Loc: Tn

Been going thru a very similar experience. My girlfriend wants to bow hunt. Awesome she is in great shape very strong but short draw length, less than 23". Not many top end bows offered in that short of a draw length. PSE has expanded their 2014 lineup with several shorter draw length top end bows. If you can wait till the 14's are out and in the shops, find out what her DL is then look online and find bows that match then call and see who carries it. Will save you a lot of time. Most mfgs do make the "catch-all" bow, long DL range and and huge adjustments in poundage. Big difference in price from the top end specific to the "catch-all" bow. Good luck!!
#3427438 - 10/30/13 10:05 AM Re: Need bow advice [Re: ffmedic]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

Being a lifelong archer, and have gotten several young people into sport I will tell you this, make sure this is something that they want to do and will stick to it. Since this is your daughter you will have a better idea of if this is a passing fad, or will it be something she will stick with. If she has a tendency to jump around to varying interests, I would invest as little as possible but yet still get her something that she can shoot and is sized correctly. However, if this is something that you think that she will stick with, I would visit as many proshops as you could and purchase something that is new and will stay with her for years.

Get her draw length is the first step—have her stand in front of wall like she was going to draw a bow and then make a fist with her bow arm and place the fist against the wall without stretching and then have her turn her head toward the wall—just like if she was drawing a bow. Measure from the wall to the right corner of her mouth—that will be her draw length. You can double check that measurement by having her stand with her back against a wall and arms up parallel to the and palms forward—measure from tip to tip of the middle fingers and then divide that number by 2.5. That measurement should be within 1/4" of the previous measurement.

#3427456 - 10/30/13 10:21 AM Re: Need bow advice [Re: TNDeerGuy]
Bullfrog
6 Point

Loc: Ky Lake

Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy
Being a lifelong archer, and have gotten several young people into sport I will tell you this, make sure this is something that they want to do and will stick to it. Since this is your daughter you will have a better idea of if this is a passing fad, or will it be something she will stick with. If she has a tendency to jump around to varying interests, I would invest as little as possible but yet still get her something that she can shoot and is sized correctly. However, if this is something that you think that she will stick with, I would visit as many proshops as you could and purchase something that is new and will stay with her for years.

Get her draw length is the first step—have her stand in front of wall like she was going to draw a bow and then make a fist with her bow arm and place the fist against the wall without stretching and then have her turn her head toward the wall—just like if she was drawing a bow. Measure from the wall to the right corner of her mouth—that will be her draw length. You can double check that measurement by having her stand with her back against a wall and arms up parallel to the and palms forward—measure from tip to tip of the middle fingers and then divide that number by 2.5. That measurement should be within 1/4" of the previous measurement.

Great advice

#3427589 - 10/30/13 12:17 PM Re: Need bow advice [Re: Bullfrog]
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

I'll kick against the current of those who are sending you to check out the '13/'14 models at the pro shop.

She's interested in archery because of a boy. Not the time to invest heavily. Determine her draw length, find a decent bow in the 40-50# range and let her start having some fun with it. Some people are not aware that bows are sometimes still able to push an arrow towards a target, even after their fashion quotient has diminished. Once I even killed a deer with a bow over 5 years old. Granted, it took 8-10 arrows out of a bow like that, but got er done, nonetheless.

Honest truth is that her commitment to practice will wax and wane along with her commitment to HIM and her teen girl schedule. If she proves to love it, she will feel her own need to invest in equipment, but that's something only time will tell.

#3434734 - 11/03/13 11:30 PM Re: Need bow advice [Re: Nimrod777]
mack
8 Point

Loc: Tipton County, TN

Just my .02. I had to outfit three sons and a wife with bows. By far the best bow for the money is the Diamond Infinate Edge by Bowtech. The full setup is around $350.00 and can be adjusted from 13-30 inches DL and 7-70# DW. My kids love them as well as the wife. They shoot at least 3 times a week on their own. The fourth son chose the RedHead Toxix by Diamond for his bow, and he is great out to 40 yards. If she gives it up totally, you get a new short bow for ground blind hunting at a great price.Plus, if she decides to drop archery for the boy, she will have the sport to help deal with her loss.

#3434742 - 11/04/13 12:25 AM Re: Need bow advice [Re: Nimrod777]
Snake
18 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

Originally Posted By: Nimrod777
I'll kick against the current of those who are sending you to check out the '13/'14 models at the pro shop.

She's interested in archery because of a boy. Not the time to invest heavily. Determine her draw length, find a decent bow in the 40-50# range and let her start having some fun with it. Some people are not aware that bows are sometimes still able to push an arrow towards a target, even after their fashion quotient has diminished. Once I even killed a deer with a bow over 5 years old. Granted, it took 8-10 arrows out of a bow like that, but got er done, nonetheless.

Honest truth is that her commitment to practice will wax and wane along with her commitment to HIM and her teen girl schedule. If she proves to love it, she will feel her own need to invest in equipment, but that's something only time will tell.

Bow's depreciate alot so I would entertain used bows first just to see how interested she is unless you are willing to drop a few hundred bucks that may pass rather quickly with very little return . Heck I make pretty decent money but have only bought two brand new bows and took a beating on them when I sold them .Look in the classifieds but like a couple have said you need to fiqure out her draw length before you purchase one and don't buy it until you shoot it first .If she continues her interest then you can go to a bow shop for a new set up , you would be surprised at the people who seem to be interested in bow hunting and go all out but end up the next year or so selling the set up at a tremendous loss . Just my $.02 .

Edited by Snake (11/04/13 12:28 AM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
AKeys, GUIDO, Bnpainter, TannersDad, Bowkiller13
13380 Registered Users
Who's Online
77 registered (Big Pop, medic, TRIGGER, woodyard, Deer Whisperer, gun nut, 8 invisible) and 102 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13380 Members
42 Forums
95607 Topics
1118891 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.049 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.