Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3425408 - 10/29/13 08:10 AM Re: Ripping Out Carpet? [Re: Nyper]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

Okay, Hopefully in some kind of sequence:
1. Remove carpet. You can cut it in pieces, you can cut it & roll it up.

2. The stinking tack strips: remove with prybar, hammer, chisel. Run your hand across where the tack strip used to be to be sure none of the nail stubs remain. When you draw blood, break out chisel and hammer.

3. Clean the floor. Must be flat.

4. Get a straight edge-long(4-->6 feet)and drag across entire floor....Mine had two high places. If you find one, reference hammer and chisel.

5. If you had high spots, re-clean floor.

6. If you have low spots, you are supposed to fill it in, see Lowes or HD

7. I am assuming you have checked to see if room has runout; i.e., not square. This is where a shoe can save the project.
After a turrible experience I now measure, use graph paper, figure out every measurement before I break out my saw.

8. All flooring should be in a minimum 4 step pattern. That means the seams do not line up until every 4th board Means first board is 12 inches long, next row first board is 24, etc.

9. I cut and place every board for a trial fitting. This is one way to get cut ends stuck under the baseboard. I then NUMBER the back of every board with the row number then the board number, like a fraction.

10. I have my wife or kids hand me boards as I move up and down the rows.

#3425430 - 10/29/13 08:20 AM Re: Ripping Out Carpet? [Re: DaveB]
PalsPal
8 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: DaveB
Okay, Hopefully in some kind of sequence:
1. Remove carpet. You can cut it in pieces, you can cut it & roll it up.

2. The stinking tack strips: remove with prybar, hammer, chisel. Run your hand across where the tack strip used to be to be sure none of the nail stubs remain. When you draw blood, break out chisel and hammer.

3. Clean the floor. Must be flat.

4. Get a straight edge-long(4-->6 feet)and drag across entire floor....Mine had two high places. If you find one, reference hammer and chisel.

5. If you had high spots, re-clean floor.

6. If you have low spots, you are supposed to fill it in, see Lowes or HD

7. I am assuming you have checked to see if room has runout; i.e., not square. This is where a shoe can save the project.
After a turrible experience I now measure, use graph paper, figure out every measurement before I break out my saw.

8. All flooring should be in a minimum 4 step pattern. That means the seams do not line up until every 4th board Means first board is 12 inches long, next row first board is 24, etc.

9. I cut and place every board for a trial fitting. This is one way to get cut ends stuck under the baseboard. I then NUMBER the back of every board with the row number then the board number, like a fraction.

10. I have my wife or kids hand me boards as I move up and down the rows.

Wow Dave, glad I didn't read your post before doing mine 3 weeks ago or I would have punted \:D !

The moving furniture/carpet removal/tack strip removal/staple removal is the hardest part. You will need to find a place to take your carpet. Our recycling center wouldn't take it.

We removed our baseboards, because my wife was repainting the rooms. Saved us not having to buy additional moulding.

Also, the guy I bought it from talked me into doing it continuously through the hallways and into the bedrooms without transition moulding. A little more tedious with making cuts, but not that bad, and it looks great.

You will get tired/frustrated/mad/hot etc. but you will save a lot of money and the wife will owe you big time ;\) \:D !

#3427038 - 10/30/13 12:04 AM Re: Ripping Out Carpet? [Re: monsterbuck07]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: monsterbuck07
How big of a pain is this? Any tips? What tools are needed? Do I pop base boards off first? First time doing this laying down lamianate.

So easy, Mrs. TAFKAP could do itů..she did the carpet in the last house we had.

Rolling it up into manageable pieces & dragging them outside is the worst part.

#3427039 - 10/30/13 12:06 AM Re: Ripping Out Carpet? [Re: Phil1979]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Phil1979
 Originally Posted By: monsterbuck07
 Originally Posted By: Super8
Cut it in 4 foot wide strips roll it up and haul it off
You do not need to take up the base boards.

Will I not need base boards off to lay laminate?

Baseboards for carpet are set higher than for laminate. You can leave it, just make sure you get 1/4 round big enough to cover the gap. If you don't do that you might end up needing to pull it. If you do pull the baseboard make sure and cut the caulk so you don't tear the paper on the sheetrock. Since the new baseboard will be set lower you will have a gap to top of the old baseboard line you pulled off, you can buy a taller baseboard to put down to cover the old caulk line.

Frankly, pull the baseboards up. For one, the trim around carpet seems to be only to hold it down. You'll likely find that the baseboards on your wood floors will look strangely undersized. Couple that with some 1/2" or 3/4" quarter-round, you'll have some goofy looking trim.

It'll cost a bit more money, but putting some 4" trim moulding and some 1/2" quarter round will look fantastic. That's how we did it in our last house, and it made a dramatic difference.

#3427044 - 10/30/13 12:08 AM Re: Ripping Out Carpet? [Re: Super8]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Super8
You also cut the door jambs just enough with a jamb saw so the laminate fits under the door jambs.

These side-cutting jamb saws are sweet. I've worn the teeth off mine using it on all sorts of other projects.

#3427142 - 10/30/13 06:11 AM Re: Ripping Out Carpet? [Re: TAFKAP]
Mudbone
10 Point

Loc: Williamson cty. Tn

content Online
Make sure to leave at least 3/8" expansion room around all edges. Do not cut laminate tight to anything.

#3427196 - 10/30/13 07:27 AM Re: Ripping Out Carpet? [Re: Mudbone]
PalsPal
8 Point

I got one of these babies for the door jambs and to level out any high spots in the floor.

$45 from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073HDD66/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#3427210 - 10/30/13 07:37 AM Re: Ripping Out Carpet? [Re: PalsPal]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

For some stupid reason, there was carpet in one of our bathrooms of the house. When our toilet began leaking, of course it got the carpet wet and I decided I would just rip it all up and put down something else. I will say this...that ranked up there with one of the nastiest jobs I have ever done. The people that lived in the house before, must not have been able to pee inside the dang bowl...and that's all I'm gonna say about that. I've gutted many gut shot deer that didn't come close to the smell or dry heave factor as what that carpet gave me.

I started out with one of those handsaws pictured above...and quickly found out I hated it. I went and got some laminate floor blades for my jigsaw and never looked back.

#3427220 - 10/30/13 07:46 AM Re: Ripping Out Carpet? [Re: Crow Terminator]
PalsPal
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Crow Terminator
For some stupid reason, there was carpet in one of our bathrooms of the house. When our toilet began leaking, of course it got the carpet wet and I decided I would just rip it all up and put down something else. I will say this...that ranked up there with one of the nastiest jobs I have ever done.

My wife was pretty diligent about cleaning our carpet, and we were shocked at how dirty it was.

#3427272 - 10/30/13 08:14 AM Re: Ripping Out Carpet? [Re: PalsPal]
bigquacks
4 Point

Loc: bristol tn

Originally Posted By: PalsPal
I got one of these babies for the door jambs and to level out any high spots in the floor.

This will be your best friend. And a bunch of new razor blades. Just got finished tearing out all the carpet in our house (1600 sq ft) for a laminate install. Like said before cut carpet into small manageable pieces. Change out the razor blade often, check for tacks and nails. I took a shop vac to the floor to get up the small stuff. I didn't lay the laminate but the guys that did said I did a real good job. Just take your time.

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
75 registered (Eric Kilby, Recoil, TNRazorback, TresMon, HuntingDicksonDTC, Wompuscat, 10 invisible) and 117 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91745 Topics
1072259 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.127 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.