Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3417607 - 10/24/13 06:00 PM Re: Fish of the day [Re: Vermin93]
Inkstainz
14 Point

Loc: Memphis, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Vermin93
 Originally Posted By: Model70Man
A wahoo is a species of mackeral. They get very large and fight like crazy.

I love it when you order salmon and you get a filet of something other than salmon. Makes my evening explaining to them salmon meat is an orangish/pinkish color and not white.

Actually - there are white-fleshed wild king salmon! I did not know this until I caught some this year in Alaska and BC, Canada. You can't tell the difference between a white-fleshed and a red-fleshed king salmon until you actually cut them open and see the meat. I have quite a bit of it in my freezer. I also had it this year at a sushi restaurant in Anchorage, AK. It's gooooood. Supposedly only about 1 in 20 wild king salmon have white flesh. It's considered a delicacy and fetches a higher price than wild king salmon with red meat. If you were at a very high-end seafood restaurant then you may have been served wild, white king salmon.

Here's an interesting article on them:

White King Salmon

That makes me feel like a butt. I argued with a waitress that salmon isn't white until they gave me my money back. Whoops. Lol.

#3417948 - 10/24/13 08:45 PM Re: Fish of the day [Re: Vermin93]
Model70Man
12 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

A wahoo is a species of mackeral. They get very large and fight like crazy.

I love it when you order salmon and you get a filet of something other than salmon. Makes my evening explaining to them salmon meat is an orangish/pinkish color and not white.

Actually - there are white-fleshed wild king salmon! I did not know this until I caught some this year in Alaska and BC, Canada. You can't tell the difference between a white-fleshed and a red-fleshed king salmon until you actually cut them open and see the meat. I have quite a bit of it in my freezer. I also had it this year at a sushi restaurant in Anchorage, AK. It's gooooood. Supposedly only about 1 in 20 wild king salmon have white flesh. It's considered a delicacy and fetches a higher price than wild king salmon with red meat. If you were at a very high-end seafood restaurant then you may have been served wild, white king salmon.

Here's an interesting article on them:

White King Salmon

You are correct. You will never find that color salmon meat in Carrabbas for $18. My mom worked at a fish factory in AK and WA and they would separate the meat. The distributors know they can get huge $$$ and separate the meat. That type of meat sells for well over $35 a 6 oz filet and is only found in high end restaurants.

I lived in Anchorage and caught 2 Kings with the white meat. They taste so good.
Zeiss Victory Varipoint #60 Illuminated

#3417969 - 10/24/13 08:55 PM Re: Fish of the day [Re: Model70Man]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

You are correct. You will never find that color salmon meat in Carrabbas for $18. My mom worked at a fish factory in AK and WA and they would separate the meat. The distributors know they can get huge $$$ and separate the meat. That type of meat sells for well over $35 a 6 oz filet and is only found in high end restaurants.

I lived in Anchorage and caught 2 Kings with the white meat. They taste so good.

Oh, Carrabbas. That explains it. That must have been one of those salmon with meat that looks and tastes like tilapia. \:D

#3418003 - 10/24/13 09:15 PM Re: Fish of the day [Re: Vermin93]
in the dog house!
14 Point

Loc: west tn

content Online

Oh, Carrabbas. That explains it. That must have been one of those salmon with meat that looks and tastes like tilapia. \:D

Would that be the tilapia grown in Chinese sewage

Μολων λαβε

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
117 registered (Brisco Darlin, scn, drrxnupe, Twinshooter, Master Chief, Dale3, 16 invisible) and 142 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90881 Topics
1062071 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.042 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.