Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3406170 - 10/17/13 08:11 AM Re: GM Hybrid Blunders [Re: BMan]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Originally Posted By: BMan
 Originally Posted By: buckaroo
Do you think or is it even possible that oil companies can hinder or prevent new fuel technology?

Picture this: I'm the CEO of an automobile manufacturer who holds the technology to produce cars that get 100+ MPG with no loss in performance and minimal (if any) increase in price.

Now: do I (1) bury that technology to ensure that gas-powered vehicles continue to be built? Or do I (2) start building those cars and take over 90% of the new car market?

The crowd who thinks the technology is intentionally squelched votes for #1. Anyone with half a brain and any business sense at all says #2.

You are overlooking one critical factor..... Investment returns.

Would say...GM throw out HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of dollars in infrastructure and investments not to mention product lines in order to turn the market on its head?

Maybe.... So much depends on the numbers.

The technology exists to make 70" flatscreen TV's for $200. But the manufacturers need to pay off and get a return on investment for creating that technology. Once they recoup their costs and realize a return on investment, that type of technology gets "crammed down" the pipeline making a product cheaper. The next level of new and better technology becomes the Top priced innovation. After a time that gets moved down the line as newer more expensive technology takes its place.

Once ONE manufacturer breaks the seal and starts producing a quantum leap technology product, see how fast everybody else rolls out a similar product to keep up.

#3407311 - 10/17/13 08:01 PM Re: GM Hybrid Blunders [Re: Bambi Buster]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

Originally Posted By: Bambi Buster
Do you think or is it even possible that oil companies can hinder or prevent new fuel technology?

Picture this: I'm the CEO of an automobile manufacturer who holds the technology to produce cars that get 100+ MPG with no loss in performance and minimal (if any) increase in price.

Now: do I (1) bury that technology to ensure that gas-powered vehicles continue to be built? Or do I (2) start building those cars and take over 90% of the new car market?

The crowd who thinks the technology is intentionally squelched votes for #1. Anyone with half a brain and any business sense at all says #2.

^^^^
This

Yep

#3408700 - 10/18/13 06:58 PM Re: GM Hybrid Blunders [Re: Crappie Luck]
citico_tim
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN, USA

They don't sell because no one wants them. Simple economics.

-Thomas Jefferson

#3409461 - 10/19/13 12:17 PM Re: GM Hybrid Blunders [Re: citico_tim]
TOW
10 Point

Loc: Back 40

I love my wife's Prius at 52 MPG....It is our on the road vehicle. The 4Runner stays home..

#3409887 - 10/19/13 06:44 PM Re: GM Hybrid Blunders [Re: TOW]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

UNION YES!!

#3410548 - 10/20/13 09:58 AM Re: GM Hybrid Blunders [Re: citico_tim]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

The new GM . . . . . . . Government Motors

Originally Posted By: citico_tim
They don't sell because no one wants them. Simple economics.

Yep, the Obamanomics GM plan has been to waste taxpayers' money to both build and "market" products no one wants. Sounds similar to ObamaCare? Windmill farms? Corn ethanol farm subsidies (driving up the cost of food) while giving us an inferior fuel product? Without the government subsidies, would a truly free enterprise system already have had us on some superior fueling system for our automobiles? Non-food-sourced ethanol gas? Natural gas?

Just adding more costly government (tax-payer) funding to a blundering bureaucracy of bigger government, producing nothing but debt & progressive loss of freedoms.

Never mind that a true free enterprise system works efficiently, and relatively without cost to the taxpayers, while innovating better products and greater freedoms.

By the way, if GM had simply been allowed to go bankrupt, Ford and other automotive companies would be stronger today, not to mention the taxpayer money used to bail out GM would or could have been used in any of a number of ways to more greatly stimulate our economy. More pointedly, by not confiscating tax dollars from all American workers, those workers would have had individual freedom of choice in what they would buy with their earned money. And those unemployed by a bankrupt GM? Perhaps they would use their talents to add productivity and efficiency at a rapidly expanding Ford Motor Company, or in a completely different industry?

While some will point out that GM has been paying the money back, others will point out the money should never have been confiscated from taxpayers and used to prevent the bankruptcy of the weakest company, at the expense of greater growth by the better companies (such as Ford). Instead, big government rewarded failure (GM) while it punished success (Ford).

The question remains, would America's economy be better off today if GM had simply been allowed to fail, or survive (without a taxpayer bailout)?

#3736718 - 08/18/14 03:48 PM Re: GM Hybrid Blunders [Re: Wes Parrish]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

But WAIT! There's MORE BLUNDERS!

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/08/1...s-it-considers/

Why isn't the EPA shutting down this industry?

#3737911 - 08/20/14 04:32 AM Re: GM Hybrid Blunders [Re: BMan]
Cazador
Spike

Loc: In tree stand when possible

You are only looking at one small facet of the situation. Add in what the oil industry has involved and their cohorts in DC. Do you not think that the auto and oil industries are all cozy in bed with Washington? Do you think selling a few extra cars is worth the lifetime cash cow?

#3738525 - 08/20/14 05:01 PM Re: GM Hybrid Blunders [Re: Cazador]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Cazador

You are only looking at one small facet of the situation. Add in what the oil industry has involved and their cohorts in DC. Do you not think that the auto and oil industries are all cozy in bed with Washington? Do you think selling a few extra cars is worth the lifetime cash cow?

I have to agree with Bman here. Controlling 90% of the automotive sales market would make for a far bigger cash cow than the oil industry would offer.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
81 registered (LSUtigers, biglefty20, Good time Charlie, rabbit hunter, mjac, swami, 14 invisible) and 114 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90936 Topics
1062574 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.057 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.