Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#340280 - 08/13/07 09:40 PM Shelby Forest WMA....anyone hunt it?
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

I moved to Memphis a few years ago and it's tough to find private land to hunt on. I went driving around Shelby Forest today just to look around...to hot to hike/scout. Anyone hunt there much? Not looking for particular areas just trying to get some advice. Does it get a lot of pressure? Thanks for any info can give.
#340869 - 08/14/07 09:11 AM Re: Shelby Forest WMA....anyone hunt it? [Re: ]
BigAl
16 Point

Loc: Fayette County, TN US

content Online
I haven't hunted there in many years, so I can't really answer. Remember its bow only most of the time with a few select guns hunts which allow muzzle or shotgun only. Also, all hunting is usually restricted to mon, wed, and sat.

You have your choice to pick from, bottom land hunting or hardwood ridge hunting. I used to hunt the ridges, but I hear there are some nice bucks in the bottoms, but they're very difficult to hunt. Mosquitos are prevelant, so I'd suggest a thermacell.

#340947 - 08/14/07 09:54 AM Re: Shelby Forest WMA....anyone hunt it? [Re: BigAl]
BZ911
10 Point

Loc: TN USA

I have not hunted it. We hear a lot of horror story from people about the vadalism on thier truck by locals and druggies. You will hear story like this is my area.my greatgrand father,grandpappy, father etc hunt this area before you were born routine. There is no such thing as hunters ethics anymore.
#341692 - 08/14/07 01:50 PM Re: Shelby Forest WMA....anyone hunt it? [Re: BZ911]
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies. I figured my thermacell would come in handy. Kinda scary about the vandalism. Guess I'll give it a shot as I have no where else to hunt. I'll probably just be bow huntin.
#341714 - 08/14/07 02:03 PM Re: Shelby Forest WMA....anyone hunt it? [Re: BZ911]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Goodwin and BZ911:
I spent almost all of my adult life 13 miles from the park(Raleigh), and it was my favorite destination for many years. I know that times have changed as mentioned, but it was the only source of deer and turkey hunting for most of us for many years. So basically your deer season consisted of one two day hunt, if your were lucky and got drawn. Ditto, for turkeys, and it was the source of much of the restocking efforts in the state of Tennessee. The fact that the deer hunting, I believe to be available nowadays without too much suspense(as in Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays) tells me that the popularity has subsided since the old days. That's understandable with hunting opportunites now so widespread. And the warning about the mosquitos aint no joke! They were so bad, particularly during the turkey season, that you could not breath without inhaling a quantity. I have hunted the hills further East for years, primarily as a result of those critters. At any rate, if I lived closer to the park now, I would have to check out the hunting just for old times sake.

No one's eyes go bad looking on the bright side of life.

#342078 - 08/14/07 04:53 PM Re: Shelby Forest WMA....anyone hunt it? [Re: 4onaside]
Unregistered

Ok so looks like the "squitos" are going to be a problem. My thermocell works great when I'm sitting in one spot, but can you do anything else to keep them away when you are moving? Guess I'll hunt out of my ground blind alot too to keep them off of me. I would like to get out there early season I'm going to tuff it out...well at least try to.
#342898 - 08/15/07 12:51 AM Re: Shelby Forest WMA....anyone hunt it? [Re: ]
JohnnyDollar
8 Point

Loc: tipton co. tn

Goodwin have you looked at Wolf River WMA in Fayette county? There is alot of land out there and they were farming it with corn and beans. I haven't been out there in a couple of years but I believe there are alot more and nicer deer at Wolf River.

#343177 - 08/15/07 09:10 AM Re: Shelby Forest WMA....anyone hunt it? [Re: JohnnyDollar]
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: sirhuntsalot
Goodwin have you looked at Wolf River WMA in Fayette county? There is alot of land out there and they were farming it with corn and beans. I haven't been out there in a couple of years but I believe there are alot more and nicer deer at Wolf River.

No I haven't checked that out but read a little on it. The only reason I'm so interested in Shelby Forest b/c it's so close to me (I live downtown). I have heard so good things about it though.

#343372 - 08/15/07 10:54 AM Re: Shelby Forest WMA....anyone hunt it? [Re: ]
BigAl
16 Point

Loc: Fayette County, TN US

content Online
 Originally Posted By: GOODWIN
Ok so looks like the "squitos" are going to be a problem. My thermocell works great when I'm sitting in one spot, but can you do anything else to keep them away when you are moving? Guess I'll hunt out of my ground blind alot too to keep them off of me. I would like to get out there early season I'm going to tuff it out...well at least try to.

Treat your clothes with permanone and wear a headnet to keep them off your face and ears.

#343406 - 08/15/07 11:11 AM Re: Shelby Forest WMA....anyone hunt it? [Re: BigAl]
shelbydeer
8 Point

Loc: memphis

goodwin.... i have recently moved to memphis in the past six months and have been looking at shelby forrest to hunt. just too hot to scout it now . maybe we can get together and go take a look at it here soon
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
120 registered (Tn_Va_Hunter, JCS, Labboy, TN RDG RNR, shouler mt, sc8point, 10 invisible) and 195 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95874 Topics
1122664 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.057 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.