Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#339052 - 08/13/07 09:32 AM Re: Weather forecast [Re: BigAl]
Mathews Hunter
12 Point

Loc: Southern Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BigAl
I hope you're right. Its so dry I caught a catfish the other day and it had a tick on it.

Good One!

#339093 - 08/13/07 10:32 AM Re: Weather forecast [Re: Mathews Hunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Models still indicate an increased chance of precip next Sunday through Tuesday.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#339112 - 08/13/07 10:45 AM Re: Weather forecast [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
The pastures--even the bottomland ones--look terrible in my area too. My lawn is burnt brown.

However, I've been amazed at how well the native weed species deer relly on at this time of year are doing, such as ragweed, desmodium and polk.

I was amazed at some of the native forb patches I observed yesterday evening --- there were still some very lush ones on the north sides of every ridge line.

Also, while 100% of the ridge-top food plots were dead, I still had a few very lush bottomland clover patches -- of course the deer seemed more interested in the ragweed. (I think we've had a tad more rain this summer to the north of you.)

I walked around quite a bit, visited one spring that's the closest water to many ridge-running deer ---- it was still providing a beautiful fresh water supply --- and there were no dead deer near it. Was worried I'd find a lot of dead dear this weekend, but didn't find a one.

#339493 - 08/13/07 04:08 PM Re: Weather forecast [Re: ]
BSK
Non-Typical

Google "weather models."

My personal favorite model site is:

http://weather.cod.edu/forecast/

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#339623 - 08/13/07 05:36 PM Re: Weather forecast [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Hey BSK,

We had another nice shower this afternoon in Stewart County!
At least enough to settle the dust! ;\)

#339672 - 08/13/07 05:59 PM Re: Weather forecast [Re: Wes Parrish]
156p&y
10 Point

Loc: Franklin Tn

Originally Posted By: WesParrish
Hey BSK,

We had another nice shower this afternoon in Stewart County!
At least enough to settle the dust! ;\)

Oh just rub it in why don't you Wes! \:D

#340694 - 08/14/07 07:06 AM Re: Weather forecast [Re: 156p&y]
BSK
Non-Typical

I saw that on Radar yesterday. Of course, it evaporated just before getting to my place. \:\(

Even the forecast rain early next week is looking more iffy. \:\(

#340834 - 08/14/07 08:50 AM Re: Weather forecast [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
I saw that on Radar yesterday. Of course, it evaporated just before getting to my place. \:\(

It has been amazing over the years how many times I've pulled up the radar for Tennessee statewide, and the only place there was any rain was over Stewart County.

Being this "land between the lakes" is frequently causing some "lake effect" rainfall. IMO, this augmented rainfall may be causing Stewart to have some larger antlered bucks (relative to their age class) than some surrounding counties with better soils AND more agriculture.

A few years ago I overheard some comments at the LBL check station from some green suits, and in retrospect, it's possible one of them may have been Alan Peterson, as this would have been before I knew him. The comment went something like this:
"I can't believe all these good bucks coming in, and this is some of the sorriest soil in the region!"

Think about it.
How good are the "good" soils of Texas without adequate rainfall?

Or, how could it be that the neighboring Henry County, with better soils and much soybean & corn agriculture ---- and a better buck:doe ratio ---- and having recorded perhaps over ten times as many buck harvests during the past 30 years ---- yet Henry has produced few TN registry bucks compared to Stewart County. Why?

My contention is Stewart County, despite some less desirable soils and a relative lack of agriculture, consistently gets a little more rainfall than Henry County.

#340868 - 08/14/07 09:11 AM Re: Weather forecast [Re: Wes Parrish]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Guess this is a little "soapbox" issue of mine:
I like to focus on all the factors that come together to help produce larger antlered bucks, more than just saying it's all about the soil. The soil may very well be the single most important factor, or wait, could it be age, or sometimes even rainfall? Or do all the other factors collectively have a greater impact than the soil? Guess it depends on the soil. ;\)

#340875 - 08/14/07 09:14 AM Re: Weather forecast [Re: Wes Parrish]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Now wait a minute Wes, I thought the size of antlers didnt concern you? You have repeatedly posted that you are more interested in age than antlers!! LOL just razzin ya a little, somebody's gotta keep it honest!!
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Deadeye14, woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
60 registered (Master Chief, TN Whitetail Freak, scn, Planking, Wrangler95, ruger7mag, 7 invisible) and 104 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
89003 Topics
1041203 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.227 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.