Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3404237 - 10/15/13 09:19 PM Re: Beagle dogs [Re: rabbit hunter]
Coyote Slayer
Spike

Loc: Hamblen, TN

Thanks for the advise. I will get on google and ask around in my area to see about starting pens. Some other stuff I want to ask is, I have already introduced them to a rabbit and they like to chase it and catch it. Theres a pile of unsplit firewood on my land that is probably 20ft wide and 100 yards long that they chase him into. They try to sniff him out and stuff but I want to know should I even be letting them do this now?...Is it too early and could it hinder them in some way when they get older or is it good for them. I just don't want to screw up and get them into bad habits. Ive been taking about 20 minutes with each one everyday and doing some kind of obiedience training. They are doing really good with basics like recognizing their name and stuff, Im not having much luck in keeping them from jumping on me though.

#3404240 - 10/15/13 09:23 PM Re: Beagle dogs [Re: rabbit hunter]
Coyote Slayer
Spike

If I cant find a starting pen nearby...how vital is that for the pups? Is there something I can do in place of it?

#3404245 - 10/15/13 09:26 PM Re: Beagle dogs [Re: Coyote Slayer]
Coyote Slayer
Spike

I also wanted to ask if anyone has ever ran or trained their dogs on Henderson Island? Its a 525 acre WMA that some people says would be a good place.

#3404393 - 10/16/13 03:46 AM Re: Beagle dogs [Re: Coyote Slayer]
rabbit hunter
14 Point

Loc: Beech Bluff, TN

A training pen is NOT vital, it's just another tool. You can't screw up by letting them around nature and rabbit sniffing. They need exposure. The jumping is a puppy thing that they should grow out of. As they get older, when they jump on you, gently knee them back down and say no firmly. They will be full of piss and vinegar until they get close to 1 year old. Sounds like you are doing everything right. Just keep handling them and exposing them to rabbits. When it's time, it will click, so don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen as quickly as you might think. The fastest I ever had pups start hunting was 8 months old. I would consider getting an older seasoned dog to run with them to give them a little jump start. The first time they sound off when they smell a rabbit trail will bring chills to you. Good luck brother.

#3404828 - 10/16/13 10:36 AM Re: Beagle dogs [Re: rabbit hunter]
Coyote Slayer
Spike

I sure appreciate all this advice. Im working on the seasoned dog right now. You just answered in one paragraph what ive been searching a week for on the internet. Im sure ill have alot more questions. Thanks again

#3404928 - 10/16/13 11:40 AM Re: Beagle dogs [Re: Coyote Slayer]
tailchaser
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

There don't seem to be many on this site that fools with beagles ,but the 1 or 2 that does, knows what their talking about and are good to help out.
#3404983 - 10/16/13 12:17 PM Re: Beagle dogs [Re: tailchaser]
Mud Creek
4 Point

Loc: Mid TN

Just a thougbt on pens..be careful!! They can ruin dogs be it the owner leaving them in too long,too many lanes,pen not big enough,or the worst too many rabbits in a small pen!! Dogs develop bad habits in there i cant be convinced otherwise! I think like stated above their a tool imo best used for conditioning a started dog. If a dog cant hunt/jump one in the wild ill be danged if i take him in a cage full of them and make it easy for him! Just take pups on little walks especially around dark youll probably see a rabbit out somewhere walk them over let them get a whiff!! A trapped wild rabbit(get live trap slice apple in half pour vanilla extract all over the apple and a little at entrance cover trap with cedar branches..i have a homemade rabbit trap thatcworks great! Also rabbit droppings from even a tame rabbit attract them without bait) when you put them with seasoned dog its important its a slower smooth dog that runs clean you dont want some wild banshee out there causin breakdowns and swinging in the check area!

Be patient with it. If it comes from good hunting stock he should come around if by 18months they aint with it id move on JMO.Worst thing you can do is rush the dog and blow it up . At 3mo old i wouldnt plan on much of a hunting season with them just teaching..maybe toward end of season if their really gettin it! Hard to type on a phone! Ask questions and dont stop its only way to learn!

#3405063 - 10/16/13 12:55 PM Re: Beagle dogs [Re: Mud Creek]
Coyote Slayer
Spike

Ok thanks sounds great to me

#3405073 - 10/16/13 01:03 PM Re: Beagle dogs [Re: Mud Creek]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

Originally Posted By: Mud Creek
Just a thougbt on pens..be careful!! They can ruin dogs be it the owner leaving them in too long,too many lanes,pen not big enough,or the worst too many rabbits in a small pen!! Dogs develop bad habits in there i cant be convinced otherwise! I think like stated above their a tool imo best used for conditioning a started dog. If a dog cant hunt/jump one in the wild ill be danged if i take him in a cage full of them and make it easy for him! Just take pups on little walks especially around dark youll probably see a rabbit out somewhere walk them over let them get a whiff!! A trapped wild rabbit(get live trap slice apple in half pour vanilla extract all over the apple and a little at entrance cover trap with cedar branches..i have a homemade rabbit trap thatcworks great! Also rabbit droppings from even a tame rabbit attract them without bait) when you put them with seasoned dog its important its a slower smooth dog that runs clean you dont want some wild banshee out there causin breakdowns and swinging in the check area!

Be patient with it. If it comes from good hunting stock he should come around if by 18months they aint with it id move on JMO.Worst thing you can do is rush the dog and blow it up . At 3mo old i wouldnt plan on much of a hunting season with them just teaching..maybe toward end of season if their really gettin it! Hard to type on a phone! Ask questions and dont stop its only way to learn!

I agree 100% on what you said. An overstocked pen can ruin a puppy. Makes them lazy and if you leave them too long all they want to do is jump the rabbit, but they give up on the trailing because its too easy just to move on and jump the next rabbit. Some would stock their pens with San jauns or tn red backs, but we only had wild rabbits in our pens.
I consider myself very fortunate to have hunted with some of the finest rabbit dogs anywhere. Most of these dogs were grade dogs that were not registered except ARHA. I have only saw it once, but my partner had a litter of pups that would rival old dogs at 4 months old. Every pup would jump and circle the rabbit on their own at 4 months and all 3 were naturally broke. It was like they couldn't even smell a deer! Together as a pack, they were unstoppable and we killed over a hundred rabbits in front of them before they were 8 mos old. One year later, we bred the exact same pairing. Those pups were mediocre at best. They had the drive, but I swear they would've drug their a$$es across hot coals to run a deer. We were never able to break them so we give them to some buddies that ran deer dogs. I said that to say this. There are a lot of variables you can control, but sometimes nature and god will have a sense of humor. Me personally, if my dogs couldn't run their own rabbit by 16 months old, they were sold. Some I regret, but most never really did much.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3421974 - 10/27/13 11:22 AM Re: Beagle dogs [Re: tailchaser]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

nice pictures
Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Moore Land, jackal, baydog, blueticks, always_running92
13301 Registered Users
Who's Online
97 registered (T2D2, gatodoc, 260rem, AT Hiker, tiecampdeerslayer, David, 10 invisible) and 136 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13301 Members
42 Forums
85720 Topics
1035928 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.226 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.