Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3400589 - 10/13/13 04:14 PM hunting someone else's land is tough
TNReb
Formally known as Nyper
16 Point

Loc: Lebanon

I got permission to hunt about 125 acres this year. Turns out, I'm not the only one. Just had 3 guys driving a diesel about 75 yards from me. They appear to be out scouting.

I have a feeling there may be a problem when gun season arrives. \:\(

#3400698 - 10/13/13 05:53 PM Re: hunting someone else's land is tough [Re: TNReb]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

That sucks. On 125 acres I'd ask the owner how many people have permission. Could be a safety issue.

#3400762 - 10/13/13 06:37 PM Re: hunting someone else's land is tough [Re: TNReb]
TNReb
Formally known as Nyper
16 Point

Well... the truck drove right by my stand shortly after. He had the windows down, and I flagged him down.

Nice guy.. about my age. He said the owner has told him he has exclusive permission to hunt there.

I said, "well, I got the same story".

I called the owner (we'll call him Bob) and got it all straightened out. The owner is technically Bob's mother, but she hasn't even laid eyes on the place in 20 years. Bob is the one who leases it out to the farmers for her and makes sure the property is taken care of. Bob is the one who told me I could hunt there.

Bob's mother told the other guy he could hunt there.

It's not a huge deal to me. This other guy said he only bow hunts, and I said the place is big enough for the both of us as far as I'm concerned.

But.. here's the kicker. The other stands up on this properly don't belong to this guy. There is someone else hunting out there that we don't know. Probably someone that was given permission a long time ago or something.

I'm going to ask Bob if he would consider leasing the hunting rights solely to me (even if it doesn't start until 2014) for a reasonable fee....

#3400774 - 10/13/13 06:45 PM Re: hunting someone else's land is tough [Re: TNReb]
hunttherut
Spike

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Been there and done that. Not fun at all.
#3400777 - 10/13/13 06:46 PM Re: hunting someone else's land is tough [Re: TNReb]
DEER REPELLANT
6 Point

Loc: SODDY DAISY TN

Almost had the same thing happen to me yesterday. A friend was feeling sorry for me loosing my first deer and invited me over. He told me about his honey hole and said that he guarantees me to see a deer. Heck yea, i loaded up and went over. He told me how to walk in and where to sit. 45 minutes a guy came walking up with normal cloths on. I whistled and he had to look for me, i waved, he waved, then walked out. I thought i was on somebody's elses property so i went back to friends house. Man was he furious because he said that unless you got a boat ya ant gettn in to where i was. He said that the guy probably has some drugs being grown lol.

Sorry to hear about your luck but my friend gave me some good advise when i got back to his house. Never Give Up Your Hunting Spot, asking for a lease would help but then you have to worry about your stuff.

#3400849 - 10/13/13 07:26 PM Re: hunting someone else's land is tough [Re: DEER REPELLANT]
TRIGGER
Michael Waddell stunt double
10 Point

Loc: Cunningham TN

Been there done that. Feed em all year, film them, plant food plots, scout them and then have people all over you on opening day of ml or rifle season. I was fortunate enough to buy the land after 2 yrs of that.
#3400975 - 10/13/13 08:36 PM Re: hunting someone else's land is tough [Re: TRIGGER]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Loc: T County, TN

I was hunting a farm. The idiot brother in law always hunted up on the hill close to the truck and rarely saw deer. I put in the time and effort, found the deer, started killing deer, and he takes over my spot. I found somewhere else to deer hunt because it was a great turkey spot and he didn't turkey hunt. Until I started killing birds there. Guess who turkey hunts it now. I've been there once in the last couple years. It's not worth having to deal with a bonafide idiot. BTW, he hunted it all spring and never killed a bird. I guess turkey hunting is a little harder than he thought.

#3401682 - 10/14/13 09:43 AM Re: hunting someone else's land is tough [Re: Spurhunter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

If you lease it, get in writing no matter how honorable you think Bob is. Make sure it plainly says, in at least three places, you have exclusive hunting rights.

Now, before you pay a dime, make sure Bob can lease it. If he is not the owner, the lease may not be legal. That can come back and bite you no matter how friendly you think everybody is. If you need a copy of my standard lease agreement, I can send it to you. It is a straight forward agreement that spells out just about everything that can be of importance including liability issues etc. Also consider when the lease payment(s) are to be made and lease for the calendar year, not just deer season.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3401772 - 10/14/13 10:45 AM Re: hunting someone else's land is tough [Re: bowriter]
TNReb
Formally known as Nyper
16 Point

Originally Posted By: bowriter
If you lease it, get in writing no matter how honorable you think Bob is. Make sure it plainly says, in at least three places, you have exclusive hunting rights.

Now, before you pay a dime, make sure Bob can lease it. If he is not the owner, the lease may not be legal. That can come back and bite you no matter how friendly you think everybody is. If you need a copy of my standard lease agreement, I can send it to you. It is a straight forward agreement that spells out just about everything that can be of importance including liability issues etc. Also consider when the lease payment(s) are to be made and lease for the calendar year, not just deer season.

I actually talked to "Bob" last night. I mentioned leasing it, and he said "There's no sense in you paying me. I'm telling you that you can hunt it. If it becomes a problem with other people hunting there you let me know and I'll put an end to it for you."

I just said "It's your land. If you tell other people they can hunt there, that's fine. My concern is if there are 5 or 6 people all hunting there... with or without permission.. it can be dangerous - especially during gun seasons."

It doesn't sound like he wants to actually lease it.. but he did stress that if anybody gets in my way to let him know and he'll put an end to it all.

I was excited to have a place so close by to hunt instead of having to drive back "home" 2.5 hours where I grew up... but this may not be worth the headache.

#3401815 - 10/14/13 11:14 AM Re: hunting someone else's land is tough [Re: TNReb]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Maybe just use it as a weekday spot and go to your other area on the weekends.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
9 registered (Living2Hunt, Tenn.Guy, 105, aubow, mayberryrick, JBing) and 78 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.