Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3396379 - 10/10/13 10:16 AM Re: 2013 Colorado Elk Bow hunt success (Long read) [Re: BAMA BOW MERKER]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

Oh that is epic!! This is a dream of mine to do.

#3398059 - 10/11/13 11:41 AM Re: 2013 Colorado Elk Bow hunt success (Long read) [Re: DntBrnDPig]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Tickweed,

Do you find a spotting scope be a critical tool for Sept Elk hunting?

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3399566 - 10/12/13 05:57 PM Re: 2013 Colorado Elk Bow hunt success (Long read) [Re: Poser]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

Originally Posted By: Poser
Tickweed,

No, I just use my Bios. The area I hunt has a few open areas, mainly around the bases of some big slides, so not a lot to glass. Lots of green leaves still on trees that time of yr, however in rifle its a different world. Once the leaves fall, you can see Elk for a long way. There is one big ridge of scrub oak that meets the Aspens, and I always can glass a few Elk slipping back into it to bed. Rifle opened today, kinda wish I was back again. Many think Elk hunting is really out of their reach. Its really not that much to it, they are very social animals, and come to a call rather easy. I lost a dandy, the best Bull I have ever shot, gun or bow on this hunt a few days earlier. Perfect hit behind the shoulder, watched him run down a slope 400 yds., then hit some really thick stuff. We looked two days, and I know he was close. He came in silent, I heard a stick break, looked up, and all I could see was antlers at 25 yds. But that's another story. Still to this day don't know how I could have hit him any better. You thinkin bout trying it?

Edited by tickweed (10/12/13 06:06 PM)

#3399934 - 10/12/13 10:20 PM Re: 2013 Colorado Elk Bow hunt success (Long read) [Re: tickweed]
Southern Sportsman
6 Point

Loc: West TN

How does one go about getting a tag? Are archery tags over the counter? Is there a muzzelloader season apart from gun season?
#3399947 - 10/12/13 10:39 PM Re: 2013 Colorado Elk Bow hunt success (Long read) [Re: tickweed]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: tickweed
 Originally Posted By: Poser
Tickweed,

No, I just use my Bios. The area I hunt has a few open areas, mainly around the bases of some big slides, so not a lot to glass. Lots of green leaves still on trees that time of yr, however in rifle its a different world. Once the leaves fall, you can see Elk for a long way. There is one big ridge of scrub oak that meets the Aspens, and I always can glass a few Elk slipping back into it to bed. Rifle opened today, kinda wish I was back again. Many think Elk hunting is really out of their reach. Its really not that much to it, they are very social animals, and come to a call rather easy. I lost a dandy, the best Bull I have ever shot, gun or bow on this hunt a few days earlier. Perfect hit behind the shoulder, watched him run down a slope 400 yds., then hit some really thick stuff. We looked two days, and I know he was close. He came in silent, I heard a stick break, looked up, and all I could see was antlers at 25 yds. But that's another story. Still to this day don't know how I could have hit him any better. You thinkin bout trying it?

Yeah, talking about it.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3400118 - 10/13/13 07:57 AM Re: 2013 Colorado Elk Bow hunt success (Long read) [Re: Southern Sportsman]
tickweed
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Southern Sportsman
How does one go about getting a tag? Are archery tags over the counter? Is there a muzzelloader season apart from gun season?
yes, archery tags are over the counter in most units. A bull tag or either sex is around $600. A cow tag is around $300. Muzzleloader tags are draw only, usually takes a couple yrs pref. points to draw one. Muzzleloader season is going on in the end of archery season, usually around the 20th of Sept.

#3400134 - 10/13/13 08:06 AM Re: 2013 Colorado Elk Bow hunt success (Long read) [Re: tickweed]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Congrats man, great story too.

#3400165 - 10/13/13 08:32 AM Re: 2013 Colorado Elk Bow hunt success (Long read) [Re: RUGER]
ghosthunter
10 Point

Loc: chattanooga

Awesome stuff!!! Congrats!!

#3400351 - 10/13/13 12:14 PM Re: 2013 Colorado Elk Bow hunt success (Long read) [Re: tickweed]
Southern Sportsman
6 Point

Loc: West TN

yes, archery tags are over the counter in most units. A bull tag or either sex is around $600. A cow tag is around $300. Muzzleloader tags are draw only, usually takes a couple yrs pref. points to draw one. Muzzleloader season is going on in the end of archery season, usually around the 20th of Sept.

Are the bulls still bugling in late September? A DIY elk hunt is a dream of mine, and I'm about two years away from being in position to give it a shot. I fully plan on trying it with a bow some day, but for my first hunt or two, I'd like to try it with a Muzzleloader until I learn may way around a little better. But I want to hunt them when they're responsive and bugling.

#3401010 - 10/13/13 08:50 PM Re: 2013 Colorado Elk Bow hunt success (Long read) [Re: Southern Sportsman]
tickweed
10 Point

Are the bulls still bugling in late September? A DIY elk hunt is a dream of mine, and I'm about two years away from being in position to give it a shot. I fully plan on trying it with a bow some day, but for my first hunt or two, I'd like to try it with a Muzzleloader until I learn may way around a little better. But I want to hunt them when they're responsive and bugling.
Yes. The later part of Sept. is better. Its cooler, and the rut is getting close. I have had bugling on the first rifle hunt, mid Oct.,but when the rifles start popping its over. I like the last ten days of bow season, less hunters, and usually muz. season is closed by then. I heard six or seven bugle, but this yr. all came in silent.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
25 registered (keystonecop, chrmayo, Eric Kilby, donkey5150, biglefty20, MObowman, 5 invisible) and 48 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91626 Topics
1070939 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.109 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.