Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#3397643 - 10/11/13 07:31 AM Re: Acorn crop 2013 [Re: Swampster]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

We have tons but,,,,, when you cut the white oaks open they are rotten from the inside out. Deer wont touch them and I suspect its from the excessive rain,
#3397668 - 10/11/13 07:51 AM Re: Acorn crop 2013 [Re: Fordman]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: Fordman
We have tons but,,,,, when you cut the white oaks open they are rotten from the inside out. Deer wont touch them and I suspect its from the excessive rain,

Very interesting, and this is one reason I'm hesitant to pronounce a "good acorn crop" even when you can glass their abundance on the trees. Sounds like you have a "great acorn crop", but it may be of little consequence.

I usually don't talk much about my localized acorn crop until after Oct 15th, unless it's just obvious there are none on the trees (mast failure). Seems to be plenty in most of my hunting areas, but most are still on the trees. I know some that have hit the ground are "good", but can't rule out yet that most may be "rotten". Ironically, one of my traditionally best oak "woods" initially seems to have the poorest crop. Go figure.

You may be on to something about the excessive rain, initially helping the growth, then causing it to mold or rot.

#3397705 - 10/11/13 08:06 AM Re: Acorn crop 2013 [Re: Swampster]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Swampster
Can you expand on the persimmons? I didn't think they would drop until November? Mine are still hard and green this time of year. I know the possums will climb the tree and start eating them as soon as they start turning, and well before they are ripe and dropping. Do they knock enough off the tree that the deer can get to them?

Different persimmons mature/drop at different times, and I don't think there is any way to look at the tree and tell which they are. Some ripen and drop in September and some don't ripen and drop until November.

My next-door neighbor has two mature persimmon trees in her yard, and the fruit on both of them have been ripe in the tree and dropping for weeks. Deer are hammering them. Sitting on my back porch at night I will hear the clatter of hooves as deer coming running across driveways to get to the persimmons.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3397709 - 10/11/13 08:08 AM Re: Acorn crop 2013 [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish

Very interesting, and this is one reason I'm hesitant to pronounce a "good acorn crop" even when you can glass their abundance on the trees.

Good points.

So far, the whites I've been finding on the ground at my place are fully-formed, ripe, and good inside. But perhaps the ones still in the trees are bad.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3397783 - 10/11/13 08:47 AM Re: Acorn crop 2013 [Re: BSK]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Swampster
Can you expand on the persimmons? I didn't think they would drop until November? Mine are still hard and green this time of year. I know the possums will climb the tree and start eating them as soon as they start turning, and well before they are ripe and dropping. Do they knock enough off the tree that the deer can get to them?

Different persimmons mature/drop at different times, and I don't think there is any way to look at the tree and tell which they are. Some ripen and drop in September and some don't ripen and drop until November.

My next-door neighbor has two mature persimmon trees in her yard, and the fruit on both of them have been ripe in the tree and dropping for weeks. Deer are hammering them. Sitting on my back porch at night I will hear the clatter of hooves as deer coming running across driveways to get to the persimmons.
deer are like that every night with our neighbors chinkapin.

#3398212 - 10/11/13 01:31 PM Re: Acorn crop 2013 [Re: BSK]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish

Very interesting, and this is one reason I'm hesitant to pronounce a "good acorn crop" even when you can glass their abundance on the trees.

Good points.

So far, the whites I've been finding on the ground at my place are fully-formed, ripe, and good inside. But perhaps the ones still in the trees are bad.

I hope that's not the case here as well, as we seem to have plenty still on the trees but they are behind in falling. Im speaking of both the Red and White oak families of acorns.

#3399058 - 10/12/13 09:11 AM Re: Acorn crop 2013 [Re: Winchester]
BSK
Non-Typical

Lots of acorns have fallen in the last week. I was out at my place Friday, and in places, the ground was absolutely covered with full-size, ripe, and good white oak acorns.

But I was surprised at how "spotty" this production was. Some areas were absolutely covered in acorns, yet other areas with a similar number of white oak trees had not an acorn on the ground. Very strange. Literally there were patches of 5 acres or more without an acorn, and then you would find a 150 yard stretch where acorns were like marbles--every tree just pouring them out. The only pattern I could find to this was the trees at the highest point of the ridgelines did not produce well, but those just off the crest--down along the breakline (military crest)--produced very well.

#3399839 - 10/12/13 08:58 PM Re: Acorn crop 2013 [Re: BSK]
buckaroo
8 Point

Loc: easttennessee

In Greene co. I've only found a handfull of post oaks, no hickory, no white or red. I was in Hancock co, after walking for 3 hrs finding nothing but hickory nuts on the ground I was about to leave but checked a small patch of bottomland woods before giving up. They were raining out of the whiteoaks, I managed to kill a doe there that eve. Strange pattern
#3401200 - 10/13/13 10:46 PM Re: Acorn crop 2013 [Re: buckaroo]
Greg M
6 Point

Loc: Riverview, FL/ Bluff City, TN

I am on my third straight year with extremely low acorn production in Sullivan. Really expected this year to have a good crop, but it just isn't on the trees. Hunted 4 days the 4th through the 7th and never saw a deer. Of course the morning I left, the 8th, the temp dropped 20 degrees and I saw a dozen within 5 minutes of getting on the road. Sure hope gun is better.

#3402196 - 10/14/13 03:41 PM Re: Acorn crop 2013 [Re: Greg M]
redheadshooter
6 Point

Loc: Here

I have never seen an acorn crop like the one we have in Henderson County right now. It is absolutlely unbelievable. All white oaks.

Page 6 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Kyle Coulahan, Mathews_Killer, jrbookingtn, pb10point, TEXAS
13535 Registered Users
Who's Online
198 registered (midtndeerhunter, LawDawg55, Team Passintime, Bucket, TNReb, hunter drew, 12 invisible) and 295 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13535 Members
42 Forums
99152 Topics
1165958 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.048 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.