Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3386083 - 10/03/13 10:37 AM Deer sausage recommendations
infoman jr.
10 Point

Loc: Elizabethtown, KY

content Online
Anyone have any tips for mixing pork or other ingredients. I bought a kit from Cabelas (sorry to you purists) and have deer quarters in a cooler. I'm going to try to fire up the smoker sometime this week.

Any help is appreciated!

#3386100 - 10/03/13 10:48 AM Re: Deer sausage recommendations [Re: infoman jr.]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Smoked sausage? Here is my Venison Pepperoni recipe: http://gocarnivore.com/2013/08/07/venison-pepperoni/

I have several more smoked venison sausage recipes that I have not officially codified yet, but can put together for you if you tell what kind of sausages you like.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3386552 - 10/03/13 03:22 PM Re: Deer sausage recommendations [Re: Poser]
infoman jr.
10 Point

content Online
My main question would be the amount of non-deer trimmings or fat I should add in to make the summer sausage. I'm going to stick to the sausage kit recipe for the most part but I don't recall it saying adding fat (but surely I would).

#3386585 - 10/03/13 03:50 PM Re: Deer sausage recommendations [Re: infoman jr.]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: infoman jr.
My main question would be the amount of non-deer trimmings or fat I should add in to make the summer sausage. I'm going to stick to the sausage kit recipe for the most part but I don't recall it saying adding fat (but surely I would).

Oh, got you. Between 20%-30% fat is ideal. 20% is minimum for sausage. Keep in mind that once you tip the scales at somewhere around 40% fat, your sausage will no longer taste like venison.

For a fat source, I prefer fatback for most sausages, but pork shoulder as well as trimmings will work fine, too. Get the highest quality pork shoulder or fat that you can find/afford/get your hands on. I highly suggest pasture raised, heritage pork if you can find it in your area.

Regardless of the instructions on your mix, follow these steps:

1. Cube the venison to grinder size cuts and place in the freezer for ~20 minutes.

2. Dice your fat with a cleaver, return it to the freezer for ~20 minutes.

3. Remove the Venison from the freezer and grind it. Return it to the freezer.

4. Remove the fat from the freezer and grind it. Return it to the freezer.

At this point, you will likely be adding your cure and season. Mix together and return the meat to the freezer for ~20 minutes.

5. Grind the venison and fat together.

By following this program, your venison and fat will bind together. It may seem like a lot of steps, but it will make a significant difference. The above sequence is the difference between amateur and professional quality sausage. Michael Ruhlman even goes so far to suggest that you the bowls you grind into be placed in larger bowls containing ice. Basically, you need to keep everything COLD. If you were in a butcher shop, you would be doing this entire process in a cold room.

#3386589 - 10/03/13 03:51 PM Re: Deer sausage recommendations [Re: infoman jr.]
thetoolman
8 Point

Loc: Charlotte, Tennessee

For my sausage I do a 70/30 mix. Some do a little more and some a little less, but I think the 70 deer meat and 30 pork fat is portioned rather nicely.

"Vegetarian" old Indian word for Bad Hunter

http://www.completepctherapy.com

#3387309 - 10/04/13 07:57 AM Re: Deer sausage recommendations [Re: Poser]
infoman jr.
10 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: infoman jr.

Oh, got you. Between 20%-30% fat is ideal. 20% is minimum for sausage. Keep in mind that once you tip the scales at somewhere around 40% fat, your sausage will no longer taste like venison.

For a fat source, I prefer fatback for most sausages, but pork shoulder as well as trimmings will work fine, too. Get the highest quality pork shoulder or fat that you can find/afford/get your hands on. I highly suggest pasture raised, heritage pork if you can find it in your area.

Regardless of the instructions on your mix, follow these steps:

1. Cube the venison to grinder size cuts and place in the freezer for ~20 minutes.

2. Dice your fat with a cleaver, return it to the freezer for ~20 minutes.

3. Remove the Venison from the freezer and grind it. Return it to the freezer.

4. Remove the fat from the freezer and grind it. Return it to the freezer.

At this point, you will likely be adding your cure and season. Mix together and return the meat to the freezer for ~20 minutes.

5. Grind the venison and fat together.

By following this program, your venison and fat will bind together. It may seem like a lot of steps, but it will make a significant difference. The above sequence is the difference between amateur and professional quality sausage. Michael Ruhlman even goes so far to suggest that you the bowls you grind into be placed in larger bowls containing ice. Basically, you need to keep everything COLD. If you were in a butcher shop, you would be doing this entire process in a cold room.

AWESOME! Thanks so much!

#3387347 - 10/04/13 08:23 AM Re: Deer sausage recommendations [Re: infoman jr.]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

I use boston butts in my mix. It's pretty easy to find and the local butcher will grind it for me.

#3398168 - 10/11/13 12:59 PM Re: Deer sausage recommendations [Re: DntBrnDPig]
infoman jr.
10 Point

content Online
I got the smoker rolling yesterday evening about 6:00. The lowest I could get my smoker to go was 200F, so I had to make it work. At 11:00pm, it was just at 110, so I went to bed and got up at 2 to check on it...140. Back to bed. Checked again at 7am. 110...CRAP! I guess the dew and colder ambient temps cooled the smoker down. I put them in the oven on 200 and went to work. They had reached 156 by 10am. Think they'll be ok? I hope I didn't mess up 15 pounds of summer sausage!

#3398185 - 10/11/13 01:10 PM Re: Deer sausage recommendations [Re: infoman jr.]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

So long as they were allowed to ferment properly before the smoking stage, they should be fine.

#3398474 - 10/11/13 06:12 PM Re: Deer sausage recommendations [Re: Poser]
infoman jr.
10 Point

content Online
Oh, it's goooood. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
58 registered (Big Pop, caretaker, Bow Hunter, THEdonkey0515, bowhunter163, Hangnail, 7 invisible) and 94 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93200 Topics
1088407 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.144 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.