Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3392458 - 10/07/13 09:45 PM Redblood, Poser - InLaws Response to Facebook Post
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

I posted to my FaceBook page on Saturday that I was getting ready to cook some squirrels and got this response from my mother-in-law:

When eating wild squirrel meat, you should be aware that there are some dangers. squirrels can ingest the tapeworm eggs that are present in dog feces. These eggs can hatch inside the animal and the larvae can migrate to all parts of the animal's body, within the tissues. If eaten in this state the infection can be passed onto a human. The tissue of the animal should be inspected thoroughly before consumption, and the signs to look out for include a bad smell, discoloration and the appearance of abscesses. Squirrels carry prions, which are infectious particles in their bones and their brain. The brain of a squirrel should never be eaten as cooking will not entirely destroy the prions. Prions are similar to the infection that causes mad cow disease. The rest of the squirrel can be eaten but should be cooked thoroughly prior to consumption.
So, I hope Melissa and the girls did not eat squirrel!!!!!

Thoughts?

I'm not going to respond, but I will discuss with her in person if she brings it up. I have my own thoughts, but I would like to hear yours.

#3392538 - 10/07/13 10:45 PM Re: Redblood, Poser - InLaws Response to Facebook Post [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
Very mild chance of getting sick from eating brains. There was an outbreak of deaths related to squirrel brains in KY about 10 years ago. As a result, squirrel brains are not recommended for consumption by many game agencies including TWRA. The tapeworm part is laughable, at best. You should be much more concerned about the chicken you ate for dinner. Think about it. Most of us eat wild game regurarly if not predominately. Those who do not partake know many people who do eat wild and regurarly. Name one incident of someone you know personally who got sick from eating wild game. I bet not one person can come up with one real example. Your MIL copied and pasted that from somewhere. Given their diets, Squirrels are organic as you can get. If you are afraid to eat squirrel, you should be afraid to eat meat. Period.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3392557 - 10/07/13 11:12 PM Re: Redblood, Poser - InLaws Response to Facebook Post [Re: Poser]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

content Online
Name one incident of someone you know personally who got sick from eating wild game.

I can name one... ME.. I ate about a limit and a half of grilled doves one year and got sick because I ate so many!!!

#3392572 - 10/08/13 12:45 AM Re: Redblood, Poser - InLaws Response to Facebook Post [Re: Poser]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

Originally Posted By: Poser
Very mild chance of getting sick from eating brains. There was an outbreak of deaths related to squirrel brains in KY about 10 years ago. As a result, squirrel brains are not recommended for consumption by many game agencies including TWRA. The tapeworm part is laughable, at best. You should be much more concerned about the chicken you ate for dinner. Think about it. Most of us eat wild game regurarly if not predominately. Those who do not partake know many people who do eat wild and regurarly. Name one incident of someone you know personally who got sick from eating wild game. I bet not one person can come up with one real example. Your MIL copied and pasted that from somewhere. Given their diets, Squirrels are organic as you can get. If you are afraid to eat squirrel, you should be afraid to eat meat. Period.

i actually agree. although as a person choice, i would steer clear of brains and nervous tissue. of course i don't have the stomach for brains anyway so admittedly that isn't much of a consetion

#3392677 - 10/08/13 06:12 AM Re: Redblood, Poser - InLaws Response to Facebook Post [Re: redblood]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Yeah, I don't eat squirrel brains. Now, my grandfather was a different story. The only time he ever raised his voice to me was when I brought him a bunch of squirrels that were already cleaned. He let me know real quick not to remove the heads next time.

#3392849 - 10/08/13 08:24 AM Re: Redblood, Poser - InLaws Response to Facebook Post [Re: WMAn]
huntinkev
8 Point

Loc: East Tenn

content Online
She's worried about you eating free range organic meat and she probably has no thoughts of putting a steroid injected antibiotic filled piece of chicken or beef on the table that who knows how it was handled or who handled it.

I have an aunt that is the same way. She won't eat meat unless it comes from Food city. I have tried to give them some beef: hamburger, steaks, roasts in the past from fresh cow and she won't touch it. She won't even eat anything I fix because it's either deer or Fresh beef and not from a store. The last time I gave my uncle a Boston butt she wouldn't touch it, thought it was deer.

#3392901 - 10/08/13 08:56 AM Re: Redblood, Poser - InLaws Response to Facebook Post [Re: huntinkev]
wildb1
6 Point

Loc: Northern Texas

Easy. Say, "Thanks for the info. Note to self, no squirrel dishes at Thanksgiving dinner. :)"

#3392908 - 10/08/13 09:05 AM Re: Redblood, Poser - InLaws Response to Facebook Post [Re: wildb1]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
Speaking of which, post up pics of that Hmong dish you cooked.

#3392936 - 10/08/13 09:25 AM Re: Redblood, Poser - InLaws Response to Facebook Post [Re: huntinkev]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

A couple of things:

1. "Wild" squirrel meat"? Is there another kind of squirrel? "wild" is just an adjective to make the meat sound unappetizing to folks who don't like game.

2. How does a squirrel come in contact with dog feces?

3. That entire article may be 100% true, or 100% made up. I really don't know, but it appears to have been copied/past from this blog
http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/2011/08/troll-speaks-again.html

I'd worry more about domestic meat than wild game...but for the most part I don't worry about meat from any source.

#3392946 - 10/08/13 09:31 AM Re: Redblood, Poser - InLaws Response to Facebook Post [Re: BamaProud]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BamaProud
A couple of things:

1. "Wild" squirrel meat"? Is there another kind of squirrel? "wild" is just an adjective to make the meat sound unappetizing to folks who don't like game.

2. How does a squirrel come in contact with dog feces?

3. That entire article may be 100% true, or 100% made up. I really don't know, but it appears to have been copied/past from this blog
http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/2011/08/troll-speaks-again.html

I'd worry more about domestic meat than wild game...but for the most part I don't worry about meat from any source.

Yep, you are right. MIL saw the FB post, went searching on the internet "Squirrel+Diseases+Health" or similar and copied and pasted the first thing she saw.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
115 registered (jameseboy, dr, Backstrapcrazy, Diesel81, Bigswede3423, Bigg'un4214, 17 invisible) and 148 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13172 Members
42 Forums
90829 Topics
1060748 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.248 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.