Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3359733 - 09/14/13 10:45 PM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: Kimber45]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Feed the furnace.

#3363970 - 09/18/13 06:28 AM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: TAFKAP]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

Well, so far the added cardio is helping the end game goal!!

Down 3lbs from where I'd been weighing every morning for a while!!

I'm hitting the gym (6-days last week) with this plan:

Mon - 20 minutes of high heart rate cardio - Arms - 20/25 minutes of high heart rate cardio - home
Tue - 45-50 mins of high heart rate cardio - abs
Wed - 20 minutes of high heart rate cardio - Back/Chest - 20/25 minutes of high heart rate cardio - home
Thu - 45-50 mins of high heart rate cardio - abs
Fri - 20 minutes of high heart rate cardio - Legs/Shoulders - 20/25 minutes of high heart rate cardio - home
Saturday - Cardio for an hour but transitioning from: Run 5-7 mins, elyptical 5-7 minutes, bike hard for 5-7 minutes - water then all again. Going to add abs to that this week as well

Edited by Kimber45 (09/18/13 06:28 AM)

#3363973 - 09/18/13 06:31 AM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: Kimber45]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Sunday is an off-day for now and may keep it that way. Also once I get this routine behind me as a "routine" I'm going to add in some morning workouts and a few lunch day workouts even if they are only Yoga based stretching etc. That Yoga stuff sure make the old achy joints feel better for me!

#3382121 - 10/01/13 06:09 AM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: Kimber45]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Still STARVING BUT ran a mile in under 10 mins yesterday!! Pretty good for an old guy with knee pain who HATES cardio and STILL weighs 223

#3389662 - 10/06/13 07:45 AM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: Kimber45]
HDUKE1986
4 Point

Loc: Hamilton

Hey kimber45 if your shins hurt after running try running in the grass or somewhere easier on your joints cause its crazy how hard concrete or asphalt are on your joints when I ran cross country in college I noticed that my shins would kill me after running on the roads but if I went to the park and ran in the grass it was much better and also get you some of those little Dixie dentist cups and fill them with water and freeze them and when you get done running get a couple out and rub them up and down both sides of your shins it will work wonders for you sounds to me you may be developing shin splints and that will surely hinder your progress and for your hip look up stretching for your hip flexor and do it before and after every run cause if you mess it up it will hurt from here on out thats what put a end to my competitive running for the most part
#3390289 - 10/06/13 04:59 PM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: Kimber45]
tnfirefighter
8 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

3 causes of shin splints, overpronating in your running step, not stretching and bad shoes. Get a pair of good running shoes! I recommend Brooks, or Saucony motion control Ive got a pair of Brooks Beasts. My foot hits outside heal first. As far as the hunger part...might try eating more protein. I pop a spoonfull of peanut butter in my pie hole and it helps with the cravings lol

#3391121 - 10/07/13 06:39 AM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: tnfirefighter]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: tnfirefighter
3 causes of shin splints, overpronating in your running step, not stretching and bad shoes. Get a pair of good running shoes! I recommend Brooks, or Saucony motion control Ive got a pair of Brooks Beasts. My foot hits outside heal first. As far as the hunger part...might try eating more protein. I pop a spoonfull of peanut butter in my pie hole and it helps with the cravings lol

Have a top o the line pair of Brooks and always stretch before running. I don't think protein is an issue as I get more than my share \:\) with supplements and daily meat intake.
Is probably a result of the way my feet hit the ground but not sure on that. And, feeding the "cravings" has been my biggest issue lately - always craving and always feeding \:D

#3391126 - 10/07/13 06:41 AM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: HDUKE1986]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: HDUKE1986
Hey kimber45 if your shins hurt after running try running in the grass or somewhere easier on your joints cause its crazy how hard concrete or asphalt are on your joints when I ran cross country in college I noticed that my shins would kill me after running on the roads but if I went to the park and ran in the grass it was much better and also get you some of those little Dixie dentist cups and fill them with water and freeze them and when you get done running get a couple out and rub them up and down both sides of your shins it will work wonders for you sounds to me you may be developing shin splints and that will surely hinder your progress and for your hip look up stretching for your hip flexor and do it before and after every run cause if you mess it up it will hurt from here on out thats what put a end to my competitive running for the most part

Actually 100% of my running is on a treadmill right now since I'm just getting back into this - and was fearing the impact the blacktop will have on feet, knees and hips. I could probably add a few more stretches but I do several now before any runs or high impact cardio.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
7 registered (Mr.Squirrel, Mudbone, rabbit hunter, mossyoakmantn, Prowler, Britlab, 1 invisible) and 51 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93135 Topics
1088561 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.107 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.