Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3389735 - 10/06/13 08:40 AM Waiting.......
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

Well, it seems like either this afternoon or Monday afternoon will be the first day I go bow hunting. If it rains today, I may wait until Monday.

The temps and wind direction are much better now than earlier in the season, so instead of taking a chance of busting deer, I just waited.

I may be listening to farming equipment though.. The deer don't seem to mind but it sure makes it difficult to hear a deer coming...lol.

The reason for the late start is simple....I keep records. Even though I do, my ability to wait is never as strong as it needs to be, but this season it does. These records tell me that I see far less deer the first 2-3 weeks of bow season than I do anytime of the season, except very late in the gun season. Normally it seems to be because of the temperatures and wind directions. Most every time I get a north wind during bow season, THAT starts things to moving. The wind is supposed to shift out of the north late today and into tomorrow.

I may go this afternoon, but if not I'll surely go tomorrow afternoon. Even with a north wind, I like to give deer awhile before hunting in the mornings. Most of my stands are much better in the afternoon until the pre-rut starts...THEN, it's all day , most every day until they lock down. All of my access points are across crop fields. Need to stay out of them until they get the crop out. However, my new stand set up is accessible on foot, walking in between a cotton field and a bean field..I CAN walk in through the woods, but I'd rather stay out of the woods as much as possible...

I know BSK and a few others wait on better conditions before going . Anyone else?

good luck.

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3389870 - 10/06/13 10:48 AM Re: Waiting....... [Re: Bottom Hunter]
KANATI McD
8 Point

Loc: West, TN.

Smart man. Experience is key here. I try to wait on cooler weather, the years have taught me that I might kill a deer in warm weather, but odds are against me. I went last Sunday evening and will be in stand this afternoon. 8years ago I would've been in stand come h3ll or high water. The drive is still there, just a little smarter...

Edited by KANATI McD (10/06/13 10:52 AM)

#3389994 - 10/06/13 01:02 PM Re: Waiting....... [Re: KANATI McD]
kknights27
4 Point

Loc: Knoxville,TN

LOL, you guys are very smart and informative.... Ive been every day since it opened, and only seen 3 does..... I am dying to get a shot at one!! I know the conditions haventbeen ideal, but I got the deer fever.

"Greatness is acheived in steps, small building blocks, little by little"........Ray Lewis

"Dyin aint much of a livin, boy!"...... Josey Wales!!

#3390484 - 10/06/13 07:11 PM Re: Waiting....... [Re: kknights27]
G_Man
4 Point

Loc: Middle Tn

this is why im on tndeer...i know there are more experienced guys on here. i want to hunt every afternoon, but i have limited spots to hunt, so i'm taking heed to yalls advice and waiting for better conditions for my particular spots.

#3390514 - 10/06/13 07:22 PM Re: Waiting....... [Re: kknights27]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: kknights27
I know the conditions haventbeen ideal, but I got the deer fever.

I remember those days!

Many of us old guys have "been there and done that" and would prefer to take our time and wait until conditions are optimal. Unfortunately, the "fever" is long gone.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3390597 - 10/06/13 07:55 PM Re: Waiting....... [Re: BSK]
Adam Jackson
4 Point

Loc: West Tn

In southwest tn it varies with me. I have seen a butt load of deer first 2-3 weeks only to do the same regimen the following year and my sightings are next to none.
#3391158 - 10/07/13 07:13 AM Re: Waiting....... [Re: Adam Jackson]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

Originally Posted By: Adam Jackson
In southwest tn it varies with me. I have seen a butt load of deer first 2-3 weeks only to do the same regimen the following year and my sightings are next to none.

I have hunted Haywood County since 1974 and it took me some time to realize how to make better use of my time. Sure, I LOVE to hunt. However, when you get in your mid-50s and the season seems a bit long at times, you tend to pick and choose your days.

Let me clarify some points here. Sorry for maybe misleading some.

By keeping records as I do, I saw a trend years ago and just recently decided to pay attention to what the numbers were telling me. it's not that I don't see deer. In fact, it's rare that I do not see deer on every hunt. However, at this stage of the game I will only shoot a good buck or a nanny doe (big floppy eared and fat). I let lots of deer walk every season.

I see an occasion buck, normally a one or two year old during early to mid bow season and rarely see a good buck before the pre-rut. Where I hunt there is way too much woods and way too much food to pin a big deer down early. Instead, I wait until they begin to roam and follow the does. Once they do, I want to be where the does are and I prefer to NOT tip the older does off too early. If I tip the old does off when I'm not seeing bucks, then the older does may not be around when they bucks do come calling....When the pre-rut and rut is on, I hunt does. I want the does to still be coming through my area regularly and not all busted out by pressure....I'm a travel zone hunter, not a food source hunter. I tend to set up on bottle necks and natural funnels where deer like to travel....Food sources change from year to year and even within a given year, but these land features that offer good cover and ease of travel rarely do.

I love a good aerial photo and walk about...lol.!

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3391367 - 10/07/13 09:17 AM Re: Waiting....... [Re: Bottom Hunter]
Viper (tp)
14 Point

Loc: greenfield, tenn.

I have hunted Bottom Hunter for 30 plus years in Weakley county. hunting bottom land. My exsperience over those years is, if its below 60 degrees, they seem to move, if its above, forget it.Hot they move during the mid day time, and usually the bugs are ruff therefore they stay more in the hills to get away from them.

I have always killed more deer during the mid to late October month,being usually the acrons are dropping and also the temps are were they will move. JME

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
16 registered (mossyoakmantn, dhj, Vermin93, BuckDropper, reloadxx, Master Chief, 1 invisible) and 52 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91470 Topics
1069321 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.051 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.