Page 5 of 5 <12345
Topic Options
#3391730 - 10/07/13 01:15 PM Re: Shoot him? [Re: BSK]
Thicketmaster
4 Point

Loc: eads,tn

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BSK
No scientific evidence exists that large-antlered bucks produce large-antlered offspring, or that small-antlered bucks produce small-antlered offspring. In fact, just the opposite is true, small and large-antlered bucks produce male offspring of all sizes and shapes.

The evidence does not exist? Why do people all over the country buy breeder bucks for there farms & ranches I think if you have big antler deer on your farm they are passing the genes on I've got a farm that I've been hunting for 15 years and almost all the bucks have short or no brow tines I think either the bucks or does one has got to be throwing these deer? I know soil has got a lot to do with antler growth but I've seen places that some huge bucks have come from and there are some big 4 point 5 year olds running around.

#3391815 - 10/07/13 02:35 PM Re: Shoot him? [Re: Thicketmaster]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: thicketmaster
No scientific evidence exists that large-antlered bucks produce large-antlered offspring, or that small-antlered bucks produce small-antlered offspring. In fact, just the opposite is true, small and large-antlered bucks produce male offspring of all sizes and shapes.

The evidence does not exist? Why do people all over the country buy breeder bucks for there farms & ranches...

Because there are suckers born every day. The breeder buck business is one of the biggest scams going. Unfortunately, most buyers don't have the scientific background to understand they are being scammed.

Quote:
I think if you have big antler deer on your farm they are passing the genes on.

And your proof of that? I would say, if you regularly have large-antlered bucks on your farm, you have some good habitat in the area.

Quote:
I've got a farm that I've been hunting for 15 years and almost all the bucks have short or no brow tines I think either the bucks or does one has got to be throwing these deer?

Not necessarily anything genetic. Could be less than optimal nutrition. But IF something genetic is going on, I would suggest it is coming from the does, not the bucks, as MOST bucks disperse from their birth-range and travel considerable distances before establishing a new range. This means most of the older bucks in your area were not born there, hence could not be passing on a local genetic trait. Most of the bucks that would be carrying a local genetic trait dispersed and left the area.

Quote:
I know soil has got a lot to do with antler growth but I've seen places that some huge bucks have come from and there are some big 4 point 5 year olds running around.

And did that mature 4-point's father have just 4-point antlers? That's the question. In penned research, bucks do not produce male offspring with antlers that look just like their's. In fact, each buck produces male offspring with every possible size and shape rack, from small to large. However, individual females often do produce male offspring with similar antlers, which suggest does may be passing on hereditary antler information.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3391818 - 10/07/13 02:36 PM Re: Shoot him? [Re: KANATI McD]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: KANATI McD
How old in this pic?

Now in THAT picture he looks mature.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3391868 - 10/07/13 03:17 PM Re: Shoot him? [Re: BSK]
KANATI McD
8 Point

Loc: West, TN.

Originally Posted By: KANATI McD
How old in this pic?

Now in THAT picture he looks mature.

Ok, now compare the two. Look at G-1 on right antler. 1st pic looks like something going on like a split G-1, second pic not noticeable. And the body, pics speak for themselves. I'm beggining to think its two different deer, possible brothers. But racks are two much alike.
Also pics are from different cameras, 1st one is with a 8 year old moultrie m-40. second pic taken with brand new moultrie 990i. Can the cameras cause them to look so different body wise, or is it the standing position of the deer?
Do you think its the same deer or brothers?

#3391914 - 10/07/13 04:08 PM Re: Shoot him? [Re: KANATI McD]
BSK
Non-Typical

Not different cameras, just different camera angles can make the same buck look VERY different.

#3392331 - 10/07/13 08:34 PM Re: Shoot him? [Re: BSK]
Thicketmaster
4 Point

Loc: eads,tn

content Online
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/game_management/deer/genetics/

I think antler genes are half from the does and half from the buck thus larger antler bucks are going to produce larger antler offspring IMO Kanatis bucks is a mature cull that I would not want breeding does in my area even though I know that they will desperse and go down the road to my neighbors! \:\)

Page 5 of 5 <12345

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
100 registered (leader, Bigmonts, HDUKE1986, dh1984, cbarron19, 10takum, 14 invisible) and 124 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85151 Topics
1029093 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.244 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.