Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3384523 - 10/02/13 12:44 PM Help me lift
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

I log anywhere from 22-30 miles a week and have been running like this for about 2 years now.I've lost 80 lbs but my upper body has really taken a hit.My arms are real slim,hardly no muscle tone to them and so is my chest.I almost look like one of those kenyan runners. \:D What i'm wanting to do is build a little muscle on my chest and my arms.I'm not talking going all out to be a muscle builder I would just like a little definition in my arms and my chest and not look anorexic.I've got some free space in my building and was thinking of getting a weight bench and putting out there.

What would be a good way to start out or what kind of routine should I do? I've never lifted any weights in my life and am totally lost.Do you lift every day? 2 times a day? Every other day? I have no idea,i'm sure someone here knows a little about it.and i'm going to continue to run at my current pace,no plans to slack up or stop running.Lord willing,I hope to be running when im 60 or 70 years old.

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3384783 - 10/02/13 03:22 PM Re: Help me lift [Re: cecil30-30]
Tenn.Guy
8 Point

Loc: Tenn

Cecil, the best advice that I can give you is this.

I still consider myself a novice. I did P90x to lose weight and start building muscle. I learned a ton from that program.

I would highly recommend you look into Beast Body. Buy the DVD set and stick to it. You will see results if you follow it. It helps keep you on track. You dont have to buy all the supplements but I would recommend getting some protein for after workouts. Workouts arent very long some only being 30 mnin and some 45. You would need dumbbells, curl bar, and a bench.

Edited by Tenn.Guy (10/02/13 03:23 PM)

#3384803 - 10/02/13 03:34 PM Re: Help me lift [Re: cecil30-30]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

Wod Shop

http://wodshop.org/wods.html

If you want to keep it simple, just do a body weight workout a couple/three times a week. It only takes 15-20 minutes a time. It will leave you whipped. Don't cherry pick. Just do the workout that comes up each time you click it.

#3393955 - 10/08/13 07:09 PM Re: Help me lift [Re: Buzzard Breath]
416wbymag
8 Point

Loc: Hardin Valley

Hey Cecil

I would highly recommend the StrongLifts 5x5 program. Simple compound movements that incorporate many muscles per. It really helps your core strength and makes sure you have great technique before it gets too heavy. All you need is a power rack with a bench. You work out 3 days a week.

5 sets of 5 reps - except for deads which is only 1 set
Mon - Squats, Overhead Press, Deadlift
Wed - Squats, Bench Press, Bent Over Row
Fri - Squats, Overhead Press, Deadlift

the next Monday you start with Wed exercises and alternating days as you go.

The best part of the program is that you start with the bar which only weighs 45lbs.

I have been on it for a few weeks, it is humbling for me to go backwards in weight but it has allowed me to correct some form problems that would have hurt me later on...

I have a PDF on it if you want to read up on it...

But it takes a bigger man to make him cry.

#3394772 - 10/09/13 08:25 AM Re: Help me lift [Re: 416wbymag]
VolHunter22
4 Point

Loc: Knox, TN and Cordova, TN

3 x a week is a good start. Your body builds muscle in the hours/days after you lift so giving it 24 hours in between workouts should be good given that you're getting enough sleep or eating enough to build muscle. For what you're doing I would recommend 8-12 reps especially on the upper body to build a little muscle. 5 x 5 is great for strength, but it doesn't really build much muscle because the body's response to it is a neural response instead of metabolic.

Edited by Mdavis71 (10/09/13 08:26 AM)

#3397026 - 10/10/13 07:11 PM Re: Help me lift [Re: VolHunter22]
416wbymag
8 Point

Loc: Hardin Valley

I will say this and no more, because weightlifting is like a religion. Everyone has their own take.

If you can't move an appreciable amount of weight, bodybuilder-style workouts in the higher rep ranges probably won't help you as much as they could.

The big compound lifts utilize core and stabilizer muscles and therefore will produce the most size, provided you are intaking enough protein and eating in a caloric surplus.

You can do chest (flat bench, incline bench, butterflies), arms (alternating curls, preacher curls, tricep extensions, rope pull downs), back (Rows, Lat Pulls), and shoulders (shrugs, overhead press, lateral raises and front raises) and for legs (presses, ham curls, calve extensions)

OR

You can do heavy squats, overhead press, deadlifts, bench, and bent over rows.

Both with mass gaining results

if you are benching 315, there is no way you can have a small chest. if you're deadlifting and squatting 405, chances are you're going to have some size.

But it takes a bigger man to make him cry.

#3398000 - 10/11/13 10:48 AM Re: Help me lift [Re: 416wbymag]
VolHunter22
4 Point

Originally Posted By: 416wbymag
I will say this and no more, because weightlifting is like a religion. Everyone has their own take.

If you can't move an appreciable amount of weight, bodybuilder-style workouts in the higher rep ranges probably won't help you as much as they could.

The big compound lifts utilize core and stabilizer muscles and therefore will produce the most size, provided you are intaking enough protein and eating in a caloric surplus.

You can do chest (flat bench, incline bench, butterflies), arms (alternating curls, preacher curls, tricep extensions, rope pull downs), back (Rows, Lat Pulls), and shoulders (shrugs, overhead press, lateral raises and front raises) and for legs (presses, ham curls, calve extensions)

OR

You can do heavy squats, overhead press, deadlifts, bench, and bent over rows.

Both with mass gaining results

if you are benching 315, there is no way you can have a small chest. if you're deadlifting and squatting 405, chances are you're going to have some size.

Exactly.

#3402170 - 10/14/13 03:25 PM Re: Help me lift [Re: 416wbymag]
redheadshooter
6 Point

Loc: Here

Originally Posted By: 416wbymag
Hey Cecil

I would highly recommend the StrongLifts 5x5 program. Simple compound movements that incorporate many muscles per. It really helps your core strength and makes sure you have great technique before it gets too heavy. All you need is a power rack with a bench. You work out 3 days a week.

5 sets of 5 reps - except for deads which is only 1 set
Mon - Squats, Overhead Press, Deadlift
Wed - Squats, Bench Press, Bent Over Row
Fri - Squats, Overhead Press, Deadlift

the next Monday you start with Wed exercises and alternating days as you go.

The best part of the program is that you start with the bar which only weighs 45lbs.

I have been on it for a few weeks, it is humbling for me to go backwards in weight but it has allowed me to correct some form problems that would have hurt me later on...

I have a PDF on it if you want to read up on it...

I have done this. Definitely recommend starting low. I was working at a gym, working out twice a day and I started to high and it kicked my butt. I was working out with a guy a lot stronger than me so I stuck with it, but I felt it. I noticed my results really weren't size but strength gains. My bench went up 30 lbs, and my squats went from a max of 315 to repping 405 in the 5x5 workout. We just added it to the end of the body part we worked out for the day. Great workout.

Edited by redheadshooter (10/14/13 03:26 PM)

#3406065 - 10/17/13 06:21 AM Re: Help me lift [Re: redheadshooter]
BIGB
6 Point

Loc: TN.

I like redhead's plan. I believe you could do just as well with 3 sets of 5 reps. I would never do more than 6 reps of anything. If you are wanting to build mass then lift as heavy as you can stand. 3 or 4 times a week would be great. A time saver would be to do multiple joint movements such as a hang clean to an overhead press. or a front squat to overhead press. pushups, wide and tight hand placement, dips and pullups are effect bodyweight exercises. I would do my lifting before my running.
#3431666 - 11/01/13 11:54 PM Re: Help me lift [Re: BIGB]
bjohnson
6 Point

Loc: Ft. Hood, TX / Afghanistan

A little late on this but...my workout routine is split up by muscle groups. Day one is shoulder/traps/back. Day two is arms/chest. Day three is abs/lower body. Then reset. I work out 6 days a week and run for 30 to 45 minutes after each workout.I do 3 sets per exercise. 15 reps then 12 then 10 increasing weight by 5 lbs each set. This way I don't get too bulky but still build muscle and strength.

#3439355 - 11/06/13 02:36 PM Re: Help me lift [Re: bjohnson]
-DRM-
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Be careful with the 5x5 routine... You reach a point where the weight increase ends up coming on faster than you are actually getting stronger. As I was nearing 300# squat, adding 5# every few days was just too much.

#3439591 - 11/06/13 05:21 PM Re: Help me lift [Re: bjohnson]
VolHunter22
4 Point

Strength and hypertrophy aren't mutually exclusive. You could start a 4 day strength/hypertrophy split and experience substantial gains in both.
#3443008 - 11/08/13 09:24 PM Re: Help me lift [Re: bjohnson]
postal rage
8 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Remember, everyone is different. What works for some will not work for everyone. I train my son who did his first bodybuilding event last June, he's 16 yrs old. I've ben a trainer for years. So from yrs of experience and being a trainer, find someone that can educate you on proper technique. Its more important than anything. Don't worry about how much you can lift, worry about proper form. Strength and mass will come with time. Diet is 80+ percent of lifting as well. If you have any questions, shoot me a pm.
#3503977 - 12/16/13 10:31 PM Re: Help me lift [Re: postal rage]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: postal rage
Remember, everyone is different. What works for some will not work for everyone. I train my son who did his first bodybuilding event last June, he's 16 yrs old. I've ben a trainer for years. So from yrs of experience and being a trainer, find someone that can educate you on proper technique. Its more important than anything. Don't worry about how much you can lift, worry about proper form. Strength and mass will come with time. Diet is 80+ percent of lifting as well. If you have any questions, shoot me a pm.

He is right about the diet. Forming your body has to do with 2 things ALONE, Protein intake and target blood flow. I competed bodybuilding for 5yrs until I got hurt. Your muscles get nowhere if you stay in a planned rep routine. Look at the "everydayers" that keep the same reps day in and out and look the same all the time. You have to push yourself each set. Not with heavy weights but it has to be done to failure so more blood can be pumped to that specific muscle (feeling "a pump"). If you split up different muscles each day your not concentrating enough blood to that specific muscle to grow. Protein makes the growth final. Just remember the formula. To maintain muscle mass you consume 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. To increase muscle consume 1.5-1.75 game per pound of bodyweight. With your age make sure Glutamine is part of your daily vitamins. It assists your muscle fibers in the repairs of your workouts. Like potassium only better.

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
86 registered (Vermin93, randy, huntinkev, Double00, slinger, Tn Joe, 10 invisible) and 131 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91759 Topics
1072376 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.093 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.