Tndeer Logo

Page all of 8 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3380129 - 09/29/13 09:39 PM Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did
rem270
18 Point

Loc: south fulton

I know DD is the big thing now for almost everyone and it by far is the best reality show for what it stands for. You never hear a cuss word, and prayer at the dinner table at the end of every show is just great. I believe their the real deal when it comes to their christianity and their very good role models for everyone, not just kids wanting to grow beards out. Although i dont watch the show anymore because like with every reality show, its gotten way to staged and the only one i think is funny is SI, I think its still a good show for what they stand for.

Here's my dilemma. They were supposed to be at a local high school 25 miles from where i live. I didnt have tickets, and never thought about buying one. But last week it got cancelled because they didn't sell enough tickets. They were just shy of 1000. I know this because my aunt and uncle are obsessed with them and have been a few times to see them, and were supposed to go to this one. Maybe im wrong in my thinking, but has greed overtaken their Will to preach the gospel? Matthews 18:20 states "Where two or three gather in my name, there i am with them". If they sold 900 tickets for $25 a pc ( and im sure some were way higher) thats $22,500 for an 8hr trip. Im not starting this thread to bash them as im sure their sponsors, etc may have been the one to cancel this. But I feel as if they want to travel around and preach the gospel then money shouldn't matter one bit.

Makes me wonder how many peoples lives could have been touched and changed this past Sat night by their word.

Maybe im totally wrong in my thinking and if i am someone please tell me. But i feel like its all turning into a money thing.

Its not what happens in life, but how you react to it that matters.

#3380137 - 09/29/13 09:43 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: rem270]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Loc: T County, TN

I'm inclined to agree. Phil came ro a church in my hometown a few months ago. Tickets were $50. $50??? To hear Phil Robertson? People lose their minds when it comes to "celebrities".

#3380143 - 09/29/13 09:45 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: rem270]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

the love of money is the root of all evil

i have no idea what their motive of canceling the event

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3380144 - 09/29/13 09:45 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Spurhunter]
Eric Kilby
10 Point

Loc: Tellico Plains

Well I'm sure they only get a % of the price of the tickets so by the time agents , school/ church etc. Gets their cut its no where near the money you think it is

#3380153 - 09/29/13 09:49 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Spurhunter]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Loc: Knox, TN / Palatka, FL

These guys were business men way before their T.V. program. There's a reason they are millionaires. I think dad is worth 6 mill, Willie 10 mill, and Jase 6 mill.
#3380159 - 09/29/13 09:53 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: gator-n-buck]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

Without knowing all the details who's to know. Maybe they had an opportunity to speak to 10,000 people instead of 900, so they cancelled the smaller venue.

#3380165 - 09/29/13 09:58 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: BamaProud]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

They are businessmen. Their junk is all over Walmart.

#3380166 - 09/29/13 10:00 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: BamaProud]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

i am glad people like the show and that they have a good message. i don't watch it, nothing against it, just seems dull and staged to me. i think it is important to not put too much stock in any celebrity.

#3380171 - 09/29/13 10:02 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Vermin93]
big 8's in Weakley county
16 Point

Loc: south fulton

Last I heard they were charging like 20 or 30k a piece to come plus all expenses
http://www.disabledsportsmenusa.proboards.com/index.cgi

#3380175 - 09/29/13 10:04 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: big 8's in Weakley county]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Loc: T County, TN

I don't think the issue is with them being business men. I think the issue with them using the Gospel as a business. As long as the price is right.

#3380189 - 09/29/13 10:13 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Vermin93]
Hangnail
12 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

It appears as though the Duck Dynasty bunch has been put on a pedestal for their lifestyle and religion. Now that they've reached a point where they can make hay or stay home, they're vilified for it. I like their show fine, but I wouldn't pay a dime to see them in person. They are just like a lot of guys I know and I'd imagine like a lot of people on here. What's the big deal?
#3380192 - 09/29/13 10:16 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Spurhunter]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

I've had to learn a lot since I first started preaching. It use to bother me to get a preaching date, and then when I pulled into the church parking lot, there only be 10 vehicles there, including my own. I was in the mentality that the more people, the better. Now days, I would rather preach in those meetings with those congregations of 10-20 people. I've since learned that it only takes one person to get saved or get help at the altar, to make all the miles worth it. No matter how many was there to listen...if you could be a help to just one, it is worth it all.

Sadly, I know some other local preachers that wont go preach to churches that small either; and get rather mad if they don't get a love offering....or a big love offering. Hey, I've drove an hour one way, and never got a dime for love offering, and it not bother me a bit. Some of the guys I know would have black balled such a church...and that shows where their heart really is.

#3380193 - 09/29/13 10:17 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Hangnail]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Hangnail
It appears as though the Duck Dynasty bunch has been put on a pedestal for their lifestyle and religion. Now that they've reached a point where they can make hay or stay home, they're vilified for it. I like their show fine, but I wouldn't pay a dime to see them in person. They are just like a lot of guys I know and I'd imagine like a lot of people on here. What's the big deal?
ditto

on things I dont need

#3380194 - 09/29/13 10:18 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Spurhunter]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Spurhunter
I don't think the issue is with them being business men. I think the issue with them using the Gospel as a business. As long as the price is right.

just like

jim baker
oral roberts
benny hinn

so forth and so on

on things I dont need

#3380203 - 09/29/13 10:35 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Spurhunter]
gasman
8 Point

Loc: South of the Hatchie

I haven't watched the show but twice in my life, I'm all about what they stand for but I just didn't find the show that good. If it has gotten to be a $$$ issue with them then they are doing it for the wrong reason. As BamaProud said tho, if it was just a chance to preach to a larger crowd then maybe it wasn't wrong of them for canceling. Maybe they should've rescheduled one or the other instead of canceling.

Hunt Hard. Pray Harder.

#3380210 - 09/29/13 10:44 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Spurhunter]
Hangnail
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Spurhunter

I don't think it's using the Gospel as a business. If you took their lifestyle out of the picture, would there be an audience outside of their local area? It's all of it together that drives the popularity.

#3380265 - 09/30/13 04:45 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: gator-n-buck]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

content Online
I know one thing...I would never pay to go to church. Not even to hear Billy Graham. I have no problem taking up a voluntary offering once there, but paying to come in...no.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3380275 - 09/30/13 05:21 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: MUP]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I am hired for a job, I quote a price. I am sure that is what they did, quoted the school a price. School did not sell enough tickets to meet the price, deal canceled.

Simple matter of economics and happens all the time.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3380278 - 09/30/13 05:33 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: bowriter]
Woodson223
8 Point

Loc: tn

$$$$$$$$$

#3380299 - 09/30/13 06:04 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: bowriter]
Tennrock
4 Point

Loc: Wayne County

Exactly, from what I hear they have a certain price for attending these events. I'm sure the host made the "cancel" decision.
 Originally Posted By: bowriter
I am hired for a job, I quote a price. I am sure that is what they did, quoted the school a price. School did not sell enough tickets to meet the price, deal canceled.

#3380300 - 09/30/13 06:05 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Woodson223]
eightpointer
14 Point

Loc: Birchwood, TN

We love love love them. Now we condemn them for something we really know nothing about. That makes us as bad as what we think they are doing wrong. Judge not fellas. They deliver a good message. I'll leave it at that for me. I know nothing about their business deals. I do know none of us can work for free.
#3380301 - 09/30/13 06:06 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Woodson223]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I can tell you this much: it was not their personal decision, it was their agent's decision. By keeping ticket sales to 1,000 minimum, they keep their value up. They were guaranteed the amount they would have made at 1,000 ticket sales regardless, but it doesn't look good for their numbers. It is a very common thing to do in the entertainment industry. -it's all about maintaining and increasing your value.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3380305 - 09/30/13 06:09 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Woodson223]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

I'll say it, pretty dang sorry is what that is.

They seemingly have let Business and $ become #1 - Sad situation considering all the folks they "could" be reaching and bringing closer to God. Pretty sure, regardless of "their business concept", that God would prefer they use these speaking opportunities to be a building block for folks to saving their soul

#3380325 - 09/30/13 06:33 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Spurhunter]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

They are ok, but the most ironic part to me is they make a terrible duck call.

#3380333 - 09/30/13 06:35 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: rem270]
Vermin93
12 Point

Anyone know if they are in the 6000 years old or the billions of years old camp?

#3380339 - 09/30/13 06:38 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Headhunter]
leader
16 Point

Loc: Knox

Originally Posted By: Headhunter

I laughed out loud, never heard a single comment about their calls but that's funny right thar \:\)

#3380346 - 09/30/13 06:46 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Vermin93]
Uncle Jesse
4 Point

Loc: Estill Springs

In season 1, Willie mentions that gators have been around for millions of years.

I like their show, staged or not. I wouldn't pay to see them and won't condemn them for canceling though.

#3380361 - 09/30/13 07:03 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Kimber45]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

I do not watch the show. I have seen it a few times, parts of it anyway, but I never have been a fan. I'm not a reality show fan , simply because they are all scripted. None of it is truly their day to day lives, which is what "reality" means, right?

With that beings said, Christianity is still and likely will always be the most popular religion on the planet,imo. Realizing that the South is much more Christian oriented than say out on the west coast or along the east coast, the DD guys may have understand who their watchers are and being "strong in their faith" may have been more scripted than we realize. I will go out on a limb here and say that "being Christian" has not hurt their ratings at all and most likely drew people to them. I'm in no way saying the any of them is faking being Christian, but many people do shows, even reality shows, and never bring their religion in to it.

Being Christian and making that a part of their show has been a cash cow for the DD boys and for many Americans...People use their proclamation of faith but not necessarily their faith based actions to earn business every day. That's why we have local businesses that announce in their commercials that they are a christian based company....etc. Religion, especially Christianity, is huge business in this country... Joel Osteen seems to be doing pretty well, right? How many "famous" preachers do you see giving away their fortunes to the needy? Instead, they build huge cathedrals to honor God, as they put it, but in many ways it glorifies themselves. I could go on and on but will spare you my rant today. I think most here know my feelings on religion and the church in regards to faith and a holy deity, and man's attempt to 'cash in" on it on a daily basis...it pisses me off!

I guess God will sort it all out one day, and some of the people that you expect to see in Heaven, just might not be there...Oh and some you would never expect, might be in the front row..lol.

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3380372 - 09/30/13 07:19 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Kimber45]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Kimber45

They seemingly have let Business and $ become #1 - Sad situation considering all the folks they "could" be reaching and bringing closer to God. Pretty sure, regardless of "their business concept", that God would prefer they use these speaking opportunities to be a building block for folks to saving their soul

I don't watch the show, not a fan, in fact, I wish the DD fad would go away, BUT, who are they not reaching by canceling this event? Every single attendee is a fan of the show, owns hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise etc. If you consider that the show reaches millions, what real impact would speaking to 900 fans actually have? By your reasoning, they should be speaking daily for audiences of any size. If their mission is to reach as many people as possible, then they shouldn't even be doing public speaking event since the show reaches so many more people.

#3380380 - 09/30/13 07:26 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Bottom Hunter]
Steverino
6 Point

Loc: Giles Co

God will sort it out. I'm grateful to people like the Robertsons for transmitting the message of Christ to places it wouldn't go otherwise - its planting millions of seeds.

I have a friend in ministry, a writer, and he's pretty well known in Christian cicles. Because he does it for a living, he has expenses to pay and needs the income to survive and allow him the freedom to write and do other things. There are few people I know with more of a heart for Christ than him.

When you volunteer your time and have other sources of income as I do and have, I can afford to goto a place and play for an audience of 2 or 1000. Done both. So I don't really know the inner workings of the Robertsons. All I know is they must be doing something really right to get Rolling Stone to trash them big time.

#3380382 - 09/30/13 07:27 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Poser]
348Winchester
6 Point

Loc: Coon Creek

Jesus said "Freely you have received......" you know the rest!
#3380389 - 09/30/13 07:34 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Bottom Hunter]
PalsPal
8 Point

Loc: TN

So, are their appearances strictly for preaching ;\) ?

Of course not, they are average Joes who built a duck call business. Someone sees their hunting DVDs and gets the idea to put together the show.

Their humor, "down homeness", and Christianity strike a chord with viewers and the show explodes.

As a result of the popularity, their appearance fees go up. It's simple supply and demand.

Also, where in the show do you see them "preaching"? They are simply living their lives and their spiritual light shines through.

#3380406 - 09/30/13 07:47 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: PalsPal]
Hangnail
12 Point

This thread is toxic.
#3380424 - 09/30/13 08:04 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Steverino]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

What is a Duck Dynasty?!?!?? \:\)

Is that like Duck Dodgers of the 21st and a half Century?

#3380434 - 09/30/13 08:10 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Deer Assassin]
Snake
18 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

Originally Posted By: Deer Assassin
the love of money is the root of all evil

i have no idea what their motive of canceling the event

They have fell to this sin ...My oinion but when is enough is enough ? Check out their charities . Used to like them but they (Willie & Si) are on a lot of commercials on things they have no ideal what they represent !

#3380443 - 09/30/13 08:16 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Spurhunter]
REM7
10 Point

Loc: GRUNDY COUNTY

Bottom line is its all about money to them. They may be great god loving people but they still charging people to hear them speak of their religious views. Im personally not interested in that. Phil is no better of a speaker than my pastor. And my pastor doesnt charge me to talk about God or hunting.
#3380465 - 09/30/13 08:28 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Poser]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser

I don't watch the show, not a fan, in fact, I wish the DD fad would go away, BUT, who are they not reaching by canceling this event? Every single attendee is a fan of the show, owns hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise etc. If you consider that the show reaches millions, what real impact would speaking to 900 fans actually have? By your reasoning, they should be speaking daily for audiences of any size. If their mission is to reach as many people as possible, then they shouldn't even be doing public speaking event since the show reaches so many more people.

There will be those who've never watched the show that would acquire tickets and be at The Show vs watching the program on TV. See it as a revival if you will.
IMO, if they are what they claim to be then the #1 focus should be the message and that it be delivered.. Again, just my opinion.
I'll still watch the show - not a problem, just think it was pretty sorry that those who bought tickets missed the show because there was not enough $ to draw them in.......again, just my opinion \:\)

#3380482 - 09/30/13 08:34 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: bowriter]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

John, you are correct in what you are saying (typing). The Duck Dynasty staff has a very rigid personal appearance fee schedule. It was more than likely the venue that cancelled the Duck Dynasty appearance due to number of tickets sold. If they can't cover the appearance fee, no use in having them show up.

#3380534 - 09/30/13 08:53 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Kirk]
tailchaser
6 Point

It's all about the money,plain and simple,
#3380538 - 09/30/13 08:56 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Kirk]
de novo
10 Point

Loc: Middle TN

If they "preached" at every event that requested them, they would run themselves crazy. If they tried to please every crazy fan they would run themselves crazy. They have a price to leave Louisiana and talk to a group, if you want to book them then you have to pay the price. I would assume they do countless charitable things in their lives but their charity and giving is between them and God.

"I do not know the secret to success, but the secret to failure is to try to please everyone!" - a wise man

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3380568 - 09/30/13 09:12 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: de novo]
Viper (tp)
14 Point

Loc: greenfield, tenn.

I thought that Satie,her mom and John Luke was going to be there, not the main guys, was the reason the tickets didn't sale,Jusy what I heard.

#3380571 - 09/30/13 09:14 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Kimber45]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

There will be those who've never watched the show that would acquire tickets and be at The Show vs watching the program on TV. See it as a revival if you will.
IMO, if they are what they claim to be then the #1 focus should be the message and that it be delivered.. Again, just my opinion.
I'll still watch the show - not a problem, just think it was pretty sorry that those who bought tickets missed the show because there was not enough $ to draw them in.......again, just my opinion \:\)

It's not a matter if money to draw them in. The hosting party was on the hook for a guaranteed amount of money which was based on a sell out. The reason that they cancelled was because a non sell out would hurt their value in other markets. The sellout was likely a clause in the contract. Based in the popularity of the show, the hosting party/promoter did not do their job promoting the event. It should have been a sellout. Period.

#3380580 - 09/30/13 09:21 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Poser]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

It's not a matter if money to draw them in. The hosting party was on the hook for a guaranteed amount of money which was based on a sell out. The reason that they cancelled was because a non sell out would hurt their value in other markets. The sellout was likely a clause in the contract. Based in the popularity of the show, the hosting party/promoter did not do their job promoting the event. It should have been a sellout. Period.

No doubt you're correct however that just points back to what others have mentioned... Seem to be using Christianity to profit, then when the projected profits aren't enough - $, or the lack thereof, wins out.

#3380606 - 09/30/13 09:33 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: gasman]
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

I gotta say, Rem, that for not wanting to start a bashing thread, you may as well pitch a ball to a kid with a bat and say, "I don't intend for you to hit this." LOL

I sometimes feel guilty for steering away from any thread that has a "religious" direction, me being a man of the (camo) cloth and all, but shortly into this thread I remembered why. The amount of opinionated yet uneducated conjecture into the hearts, minds and business of this family is repellent. There's enough logs here to turn an eye doctor into a lumberjack.

Here's all I know, and it's not me that even knows it. It's just something I read somewhere:

"15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice."

Now can we go back to hunting??

#3380613 - 09/30/13 09:34 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Nimrod777]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Nimrod777
I gotta say, Rem, that for not wanting to start a bashing thread, you may as well pitch a ball to a kid with a bat and say, "I don't intend for you to hit this." LOL

I sometimes feel guilty for steering away from any thread that has a "religious" direction, me being a man of the (camo) cloth and all, but shortly into this thread I remembered why. The amount of opinionated yet uneducated conjecture into the hearts, minds and business of this family is repellent. There's enough logs here to turn an eye doctor into a lumberjack.

Here's all I know, and it's not me that even knows it. It's just something I read somewhere:

"15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice."

Now can we go back to hunting??

\:\) Good post Nim!

#3380651 - 09/30/13 09:58 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Kimber45]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

lots of OPINIONS in here when the actual facts of why it was cancelled or the events leading to it are not really known.

he who is without sin be the first to cast a stone.

John 3:16

#3380663 - 09/30/13 10:13 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: REN]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: REN
lots of OPINIONS in here when the actual facts of why it was cancelled or the events leading to it are not really known.

he who is without sin be the first to cast a stone.

Not sure about the others but I, as I mentioned in my comments, will continue to watch the show. I'm sure there are MANY a factor tied to contract agreements etc.. Sure would have been great if they'd have announced that, "regardless of the fact that this trip will be without profit" "we'll be there anyway".
At the end of the day I'll be watching the show simply because as a whole I agree with the moral values and Word that comes from the show.................yet again, wish they'd have put on a show for those folks regardless.

#3380686 - 09/30/13 10:31 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Kimber45]
IceMann
6 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

(GRAVES COUNTY, KY (KFVS) - "A&E’s Duck Dynasty" television stars’ planned appearance Sept. 28 at Graves County High School in far western Kentucky has been canceled, due to insufficient ticket sales, according to GCHS athletic director Doug Gloyd.

“I am blessed that the [show’s starring] Robertsons were willing to work with us and not allow us to take a loss on this event,” Gloyd said. “At Graves County, I have been successful with some of these events in the past; however, this one did not go over so well.”

A previous appearance several of the show’s cast members was very successful, selling out the Eagles’ Nest Gymnasium with far more than 4,000 spectators. Feedback from those in attendance also was very positive. Other speakers in the past couple of years included National Football League quarterbacks Tim Tebow and Peyton Manning.

“We probably have done too many of these in such a short period of time,” Gloyd surmised. “As John Maxwell says, ‘Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.”)

Sounds to me it was this idiot,Gloyds fault,even admits it's his fault.....

Edited by IceMann (09/30/13 10:34 AM)

http://10thdtf.com/index.html

http://www.tbi.state.tn.us

#3380728 - 09/30/13 10:56 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Headhunter]
Vermin93
12 Point

I've been wondering about this. I don't duck hunt and so I don't own any Duck Commander products. Do they make any quality calls or are they mass-produced, low-end calls like a lot of the Chinese-made, plastic junk that Primos and Hunter's Specialties flood the market with? When I saw their life-size carboard cut outs all over Walmart advertising Duck Dynasty sunglasses and other things, I couldn't help but think their products might be of typical Walmart quality.

#3380734 - 09/30/13 11:01 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Vermin93]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Vermin93

I've been wondering about this. I don't duck hunt and so I don't own any Duck Commander products. Do they make any quality calls or are they mass-produced, low-end calls like a lot of the Chinese-made, plastic junk that Primos and Hunter's Specialties flood the market with? When I saw their life-size carboard cut outs all over Walmart advertising Duck Dynasty sunglasses and other things, I couldn't help but think their products might be of typical Walmart quality.

I've not picked up one their calls that I liked but that's a very subjective thing anyway. There are thousands of call-makers and with my limited talent with calling a Haydel is about all I'm comfortable with \:\)

#3380736 - 09/30/13 11:03 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Vermin93]
ferg
Cancer Free
16 Point

Loc: At the TNDeer shirt factory %^...

They 'say' all hand made one by one -

ferg....

USCG(Ret)
Semper Par !

#3380745 - 09/30/13 11:09 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Vermin93]
WingNut
Woodpile Boys
8 Point

Loc: Chapel Hill

Originally Posted By: Vermin93

I duck hunt and know about their calls. They are junk. They are exactly what you said above. They are mass produced. You can buy a "high end" call from them but they are still not that good, in my opinion. I know if I were to buy one of their calls and be in the area I couldn't just walk into their shop and one of them tune it for me and work out a few issues I may be having. Now you buy an RNT call and have a question or need it tuned or a new reed and quark put in it. You can walk into their shop and Butch Richenback himself will fix it for you. That is fact.

#3380750 - 09/30/13 11:10 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: bowriter]
doubledownranch
8 Point

Loc: Old Hickory / Watertown

Plain and simple. Not much more to it.

Team Run 'N Gunners

πKa

#3380753 - 09/30/13 11:12 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: WingNut]
Frank G
8 Point

Loc: Hardin Co, TN Pickwick Lake

The DD guys sure have a marketing "king" behind them. Come on man, Chiea Pet for Willie in Walmart? You can get a hat at Kroger markets.

#3380758 - 09/30/13 11:14 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Hangnail]
Pic IN the Casa
TurdFarmer2.0
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Hangnail

Agree. Surely the school read the contract about the tickets.

#3380761 - 09/30/13 11:17 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Uncle Jesse]
Pic IN the Casa
TurdFarmer2.0
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Uncle Jesse
In season 1, Willie mentions that gators have been around for millions of years.

I like their show, staged or not. I wouldn't pay to see them and won't condemn them for canceling though.

And this too ^^^^

#3380764 - 09/30/13 11:21 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
Pic IN the Casa
TurdFarmer2.0
14 Point

Preaching about Christianity at a Gubment School?????

How can this be????

Where's the ONE anonymous person that will complain about this and cause the ACLU to come in and save the day???

#3380805 - 09/30/13 11:42 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: IceMann]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: IceMann
(GRAVES COUNTY, KY (KFVS) - "A&E’s Duck Dynasty" television stars’ planned appearance Sept. 28 at Graves County High School in far western Kentucky has been canceled, due to insufficient ticket sales, according to GCHS athletic director Doug Gloyd.

“I am blessed that the [show’s starring] Robertsons were willing to work with us and not allow us to take a loss on this event,” Gloyd said. “At Graves County, I have been successful with some of these events in the past; however, this one did not go over so well.”

A previous appearance several of the show’s cast members was very successful, selling out the Eagles’ Nest Gymnasium with far more than 4,000 spectators. Feedback from those in attendance also was very positive. Other speakers in the past couple of years included National Football League quarterbacks Tim Tebow and Peyton Manning.

“We probably have done too many of these in such a short period of time,” Gloyd surmised. “As John Maxwell says, ‘Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.”)

This confirms what I sted above: DD crew Would have been paid their guarantee regardless of attendance, it is the promoter's fault that it failed. He admits to over saturating the market. So, even though I don't watch the show nor give 2 craps about DD, blaming them for the cancellation is misplacing the blame.

#3380999 - 09/30/13 01:47 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Poser]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I can talk "duck" a little. I hunt with guys in Arkansas that did not have an umbilical cord in the womb, they were attached to a duck call. They tell me I more than pass at calling ducks, and it is not the competition calling that is used, at least not in the timber. Most of them use the high end rich-n-tones, mine was about $150. I wasted a couple hundred dollars on cheap calls until I figured out I just needed to buy one good one. They did show me an affordable call last year, about $50, and it is a great one, handmade by a local, the Drake Brake. They use it a lot to. I have never seen a duck commander call even on someone's lanyard there, much less being used. That said, I would go hunt with the Robertson's in a hearbeat. No doubt they kill ducks and have access to great places to kill them.

#3381004 - 09/30/13 01:50 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Headhunter]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

just think about how many people ask them to speak. if they didn't have a big price tag on it they would speak 24/7 I mean they have a life and a business to run to so I understand it. but it does kind of suck.

#3381728 - 09/30/13 08:42 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: deerhunter10]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Loc: over here

They have a fee for appearances. It is set. Most gospel singing groups are the same. Country music, rock bands, inspirational speakers, magicians and comics have a set fee. These guys are no different. The booking agent gives the venue the details and the venue can hire them under the guidelines or choose to pass.

There is a difference between being proud and being conceited

Beware the skillet ---O

#3381763 - 09/30/13 08:58 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Bowdacious]
Nealmeally
8 Point

I understand them charging for hunting shows and things dealing with hunting...But I strongly disagree with them charging to speak at churches.. Suprised Phil is a part of that.

#3381774 - 09/30/13 09:05 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Spurhunter]
BIGB
6 Point

Loc: TN.

School down the road had Phil come speak and they sold enough tickets to cover Phil and put turf on the football feild.
#3381794 - 09/30/13 09:18 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Kimber45]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

Most of their money goes to churches and charity anyways.I don't think greesd is an issue
#3381819 - 09/30/13 09:28 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Spurhunter]
BIGB
6 Point

Loc: TN.

The riches are in the blessings. Think about it, they haven't paid for a shotgun or the shells for it in years. Clothes, decoys, boats all that has been covered for a while now. These days people are set them up with trucks to drive and who knows what all else. Yet, they give God the father the thanks and glory for it.
#3381820 - 09/30/13 09:29 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Loc: Knox, TN / Palatka, FL

Not uncommon...... Professional Baseball Player RA Dickey to Speak at First Baptist Concord.

http://familyfriendlyknoxville.com/profe...aptist-concord/

https://secure.acceptiva.com/?cst=58ca94

Edited by gator-n-buck (09/30/13 09:30 PM)

#3381827 - 09/30/13 09:33 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
Hangnail
12 Point

Can't have success that isn't tainted, right boys?
#3382004 - 09/30/13 11:38 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: bowriter]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

You mean you won't travel the country, ignore your "day job", and work for free????

#3382015 - 10/01/13 12:16 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: TAFKAP]
ROB
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Murray, KY USA

My guess is that the Robertson family never even knew this engagement was scheduled or cancelled. Bodacious hit they nail on the head. Once they became popular & folks started to ask them to come speak, their agent contracted with a booking agency that negotiates speaking engagements. The Robertsons are probably way too busy doing the stuff that really makes them money, like DD, Duck Commander & Buck Commander, as well as running their duck call business. Graves County HS contacted the booking agency, they negotiated a contract, & GCHS wasn't able to hold up their end. Personally, I think it was mighty nice that GCHS was let out of the deal when they saw it was goining to be a money loser for them. The big reason a contract is made to begin with is in case one of the parties decides to back out. I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever that the Robertsons weren't willing to hold up their end of the deal.

#3382045 - 10/01/13 04:05 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: IceMann]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Originally Posted By: IceMann

There it is in black/green/white- just as I suspected. They gave Gloyd a price and signed a contract. Rather than hold him to the contract, they let him out. Sounds to me like they did the Christian thing.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3382061 - 10/01/13 04:46 AM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: TAFKAP]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP

You mean you won't travel the country, ignore your "day job", and work for free????

That's all well and good if you are doing a secular job as speaking engagements. But when you try to throw Christianity into the mix, and make it the theme of why you are speaking, it makes it totally different IMO.

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." Mammon = money.

Remember how Jesus recruited his disciples? He didn't say "hey fellas...I'm only speaking when I get a certain amount of money from these people". Those disciples had day jobs too. What did Jesus tell 'em to do? Drop everything and follow him!

"And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

And they straightway left their nets, and followed him."

They didn't say "hey man, we gotta work to eat". But you find a lot of folks today that will talk big about being all committed to following the Lord, but try to back peddle and say "well I gotta work to eat...gotta do this or that before I can follow".

"And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.

But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead."

Pretty bold statement...and would not be popular with folks today.
----------------------------

Bottom line is this: If you are a Christian and really doing the bidding of the Lord's work. Then your earthly belongings shouldn't hold much clout for you. Money and earthly treasures the moths will eat, thieves can steal, and rust will eat through.

#3383286 - 10/01/13 05:59 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Crow Terminator]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Loc: over here

Originally Posted By: Crow Terminator

That's all well and good if you are doing a secular job as speaking engagements. But when you try to throw Christianity into the mix, and make it the theme of why you are speaking, it makes it totally different IMO.

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." Mammon = money.

Remember how Jesus recruited his disciples? He didn't say "hey fellas...I'm only speaking when I get a certain amount of money from these people". Those disciples had day jobs too. What did Jesus tell 'em to do? Drop everything and follow him!

"And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.

They didn't say "hey man, we gotta work to eat". But you find a lot of folks today that will talk big about being all committed to following the Lord, but try to back peddle and say "well I gotta work to eat...gotta do this or that before I can follow".

"And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.

Bottom line is this: If you are a Christian and really doing the bidding of the Lord's work. Then your earthly belongings shouldn't hold much clout for you. Money and earthly treasures the moths will eat, thieves can steal, and rust will eat through.

It may not seem right but it is what it is. You should try hiring a well known gospel quartet. It's the same as trying to hire a country singer or rock band. As for making money, the business, show and speaking engagements are their income.
As a side note, how many pastors do you know that lead a church for free? Do they not get paid? Believe it or not, some in the larger churches get paid good money. They also pay the music minister, youth pastors, secretaries and some hire their nursery workers. They spread the gospel. I am glad for that.

There is a difference between being proud and being conceited

Beware the skillet ---O

#3383344 - 10/01/13 06:58 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Bowdacious]
Snake
18 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

Originally Posted By: Bowdacious

It may not seem right but it is what it is. You should try hiring a well known gospel quartet. It's the same as trying to hire a country singer or rock band. As for making money, the business, show and speaking engagements are their income.
As a side note, how many pastors do you know that lead a church for free? Do they not get paid? Believe it or not, some in the larger churches get paid good money. They also pay the music minister, youth pastors, secretaries and some hire their nursery workers. They spread the gospel. I am glad for that.

Matthew 19 (KJV)
18He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
He didn't say it is impossible but hard especially when you have the love of money . This is not what I said but is the Word Of God (bible) . I think they should be paid when they depend solely upon the preaching , singing, etc. for their livelyhood but to be wealthy beyond all imagination ... don't think that is biblical !

Edited by Snake (10/01/13 07:00 PM)

#3383398 - 10/01/13 07:41 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Snake]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Snake

Matthew 19 (KJV)
18He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
He didn't say it is impossible but hard especially when you have the love of money . This is not what I said but is the Word Of God (bible) . I think they should be paid when they depend solely upon the preaching , singing, etc. for their livelyhood but to be wealthy beyond all imagination ... don't think that is biblical !

Word!

#3383417 - 10/01/13 07:49 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Spurhunter]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

I was told by someone who was going to book them back last summer that its 15,500 for a pair, such as Willie and wife or Jase and wife plus travel expenses and lodging. They have agents now so its probably out of there hands.

#3383546 - 10/01/13 08:39 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: BIGB]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

Originally Posted By: BIGB
The riches are in the blessings. Think about it, they haven't paid for a shotgun or the shells for it in years. Clothes, decoys, boats all that has been covered for a while now. These days people are set them up with trucks to drive and who knows what all else. Yet, they give God the father the thanks and glory for it.
I think they was giving god the glory before the riches came

#3383618 - 10/01/13 09:17 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: Bowdacious]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Ahhh but that's the thing. I'm not a fan of gospel quartets for that very reason. You are exactly right...most are exactly the same as a country singer or rock band. They are in it to cash in on ENTERTAINMENT. You ought to hear some of the messages I've preached over the years about that very thing \:\) I get my blessing by hearing families/groups that are singing to give glory and honor to the Lord. Most that are in it for that will be singing for nothing more than a love offering...and all that is for, is to get them down the road to the next singing instead of paying for the Silver Eagle with 8 rooms and a shower.

As for the paid offices in the church, I think that's a big part of why churches are in the shape they are in today. That's just my opinion though. I would rather go to one where folks are doing the "job" because they feel led to do it, and because they realize it as a duty vs those that only do it because they can get paid to do so. I'm glad I go to a church where folks have been doing their jobs for years without a dime. I was youth director and teenage Sunday school teacher for 6 yrs, and my payment has been seeing folks saved and turn into good adults that are doing their part in the church. I think in the form of pastors, that too many have gone the way of being self called for a job, instead of being God called. But THAT is a whole other topic for another discussion.

#3383745 - 10/01/13 10:21 PM Re: Not sure i agree with what duck dynasty did [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
bowhunterfanatic
8 Point

Loc: McNairy County

[/quote]I think they was giving god the glory before the riches came[/quote]

Exactly. I get the feeling many people on here haven't read their book. I highly recommend reading it if you haven't. I'm somewhat surprised many people on here feel the way they do. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I don't see anything wrong with what happened. I highly suspect that they had nothing to do with the event being cancelled. I also don't see anything wrong with them profiting off of speaking about Christ to a large group of people, as much of the money they make is used to further spread God's word. As far as I can tell, not only do they talk the talk, they also walk the walk, which is very uncommon in today's world. Only the Robertson's and God know the Robertson's heart, but they almost walked away from the tv show when A&E tried to nix the prayer at the end of each show. That pretty clearly shows that they are more concerned with glorifying God than making money. This is another reason I don't see anything wrong with them making a modest amount of money off of speaking engagements. I might feel differently if they were turning down invitations to preach revivals or literal church services where the sole purpose of the event was to spread God's word, but like many here have already stated some of the people who bought tickets bought them solely for entertainment value and just so they could say "I met xxxxxx Robertson". Would you not want to be compensated for traveling x number of miles just so people could say they met you???

Page all of 8 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
43 registered (Zulu, tn gunman, skippy1058, cozy23, MUP, utfan1, 4 invisible) and 67 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95796 Topics
1121484 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.057 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.