Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3377118 - 09/27/13 06:59 PM Open carry ends soccer game
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

MUSKEGON, MI -- A man who openly carried a holstered gun at a high school soccer game Thursday led Muskegon Western Michigan Christian leaders to halt the contest against Hudsonville Freedom Christian with 30 minutes remaining.

The man, whose identity was not immediately available, was spotted with the weapon by a Warriors assistant coach, who alerted head coach David Hulings and assistant athletics director Fred VandenBrand.

VandenBrand asked the man to leave, but he refused. Instead, he apparently took the firearm to his car and left it there before returning to the stands. His presence, and the uncertainty if the gun was still being carried, resulted in the game being stopped with 15 minutes into the second half.

"I thought it was necessary to clear the field of players and parents," Hulings said. "It is regretful that the boys on both teams could not finish. I am sorry for the inconvenience, but I thought it best to err on the side of caution.

"Although I personally have no objection to, and do support, his right to carry, the school also has a right under the law to ask him to leave."

Police were called to the scene, but it was unclear if the man with the gun was questioned about his intent or his interaction with Western Michigan Christian school officials. VandenBrand said an officer told him that the private school had a right to ask the man to leave, and that the scenario is unprecedented in his career.

"Talking to the officer...we had a right to ask him to leave, and if he returned without meeting our conditions, he could be charged with trespassing," he said.

"I agree with our coach 100 percent. The safety of our players and students is our highest priority and our coach did the right thing in making sure our players and the fans were going to be safe before anything else.

"We don't want our players on the field with someone who has a gun in the stands."

The game ended in a 2-0 win for Freedom Christian as Sam Moss scored once and assisted on David Brown's goal.

Freedom Christian coach Nate Sharpe said it was a weird way to end a game, but he agreed that the school was within its rights to ask the man to leave in a desire to protect players and fans. As far as the game is concerned, Sharpe felt it was one of the best performances his team gave all season.

"I felt like our guys carried the chunk of the play," Sharpe said. "I think it was only the second time in history we beat them on their field. It's a great rivalry and I have nothing but respect for coach Hulings and the soccer culture they have.

"There are no hard feelings."

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/a...yer-fan-safety/

- Keep it real

#3377220 - 09/27/13 08:22 PM Re: Open carry ends soccer game [Re: Super8]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

Here in the Paducah area ALL of the sports courts, baseball, football and soccer are on the high school property with the high school buildings on the same property.

If I tried to open carry or ever concealed would result in me not passing Go but to go straight to jail.

One question, why don't everybody in Tennessee open carry to their children's football games???

#3377516 - 09/28/13 07:34 AM Re: Open carry ends soccer game [Re: Wildcat]
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

TN law also forbids carrying a weapon on school property, unless you're a HCP holder and picking up/dropping off someone at school.

#3377563 - 09/28/13 08:06 AM Re: Open carry ends soccer game [Re: Crappie Luck]
Beekeeper
Good ol' Boys "Team Buckcreek"
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co. Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Crappie Luck
MUSKEGON, MI --
"We don't want our players on the field with someone who has a gun in the stands."

I wonder how many concealed weapons were in those same stands?

#3378292 - 09/28/13 07:56 PM Re: Open carry ends soccer game [Re: Beekeeper]
Big Ben
10 Point

Loc: North of Nashville across the ...

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Beekeeper
MUSKEGON, MI --

That's one of the problems with some people that carry. They seem to want everyone to see they are packing. Like Wildcat said there are several places even with CCDW permit you can't carry in Ky....School grounds being a main one.

#3378531 - 09/28/13 10:52 PM Re: Open carry ends soccer game [Re: BMan]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

Originally Posted By: BMan
TN law also forbids carrying a weapon on school property, unless you're a HCP holder and picking up/dropping off someone at school.

that is not exactly correct.

#3378534 - 09/28/13 10:55 PM Re: Open carry ends soccer game [Re: redblood]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

TENNESSEE CODES ANNOTATED

TCA 39-17-1309

(c) (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection (c) for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

#3378717 - 09/29/13 07:26 AM Re: Open carry ends soccer game [Re: Big Ben]
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: Big Ben
MUSKEGON, MI --

That's one of the problems with some people that carry. They seem to want everyone to see they are packing.

Maybe you should go back and read the article. This guy wasn't trying to make a statement - he was following the law.

#3378841 - 09/29/13 09:22 AM Re: Open carry ends soccer game [Re: BMan]
Hangnail
12 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I have mixed thoughts on this. On one hand, saying the school officials didn't know the man's intentions is lacking. I think the school officials had the opportunity to go with the guy and make sure he put his weapon in his vehicle, yet chose to take the scared crapless approach. On the other hand, given the number of crazy people we have these days, you can't be too careful. As a parent, under the same circumstances, I doubt it would bother me or either of my kids. Play ball.
#3378932 - 09/29/13 10:58 AM Re: Open carry ends soccer game [Re: BMan]
Big Ben
10 Point

Loc: North of Nashville across the ...

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BMan
 Originally Posted By: Big Ben
MUSKEGON, MI --

That's one of the problems with some people that carry. They seem to want everyone to see they are packing.

Maybe you should go back and read the article. This guy wasn't trying to make a statement - he was following the law.

I think the school was following the law by asking him to leave which he chose not to do. I bet just like Tennessee and Kentucky there are laws against open or concealed you can't carry on school property. That would get your carry permit revoked in Ky not sure about Tennessee. I say anytime someone straps on a firearm for all to see in places they are not allowed is trying to make a statement... Don't mess with me.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
106 registered (Pic IN the Casa, Bullfrog, G5PRIME, John3, david k., Blackdog, 14 invisible) and 141 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85156 Topics
1029134 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.228 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.