Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3372049 - 09/24/13 12:00 AM Re: Recipe approval [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: Poser
I got asked to do a game recipe for a Fall "outdoor" edition of a magazine.
I need to do something that is rather accessible with accessible ingredients and sounds good just by reading the name. The deadline is short notice and I only have venison necks in my freezer.

Thinking of doing a "Venison Pumpkin Chili" recipe using stew meat. The redients would be various chiles, oregano, tomatoes, pumpkin, Cocoa powder. Maybe a bit of bacon. Nothing you can't find at the local Kroger and the pumpkin makes it unique from other chili recipes not to mention, very Fall like. Does that sound enticing and accessible?

No

Absolutely not.

And I mean that with all the love and respect I can muster. My sole reason for this is that "Pumpkin anything" is becoming so overused, that I'm just fed up with it. Winter squashes aren't exactly on my top 100 list of favorites anyway, and now I'd rather Gangam style dance my way into a pair of skinny jeans and a "vintage punk leather jacket" than to jump onto the pumpkin bandwagon. The pumpkin fetish in the past few years has surpassed the "bacon in everything" fetish of recent memory.

I think what you've been doing with incorporating wild game back into some (seemingly) exotic recipes will be more catchy than just another "Pumpkin trend" recipe. Caribbean jerk, corned beef, simple loin recipes, and others are a much better utilization of game than another new twist on an old play.

Teach people to properly season and sear a backstrap. Oven roast a shoulder and turn it into thin-sliced French dip meat. Find a recipe for Jamaican "patties". But please, spare me the damnn pumpkins.

#3372136 - 09/24/13 06:33 AM Re: Recipe approval [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
 Originally Posted By: Poser
I got asked to do a game recipe for a Fall "outdoor" edition of a magazine.
I need to do something that is rather accessible with accessible ingredients and sounds good just by reading the name. The deadline is short notice and I only have venison necks in my freezer.

Thinking of doing a "Venison Pumpkin Chili" recipe using stew meat. The redients would be various chiles, oregano, tomatoes, pumpkin, Cocoa powder. Maybe a bit of bacon. Nothing you can't find at the local Kroger and the pumpkin makes it unique from other chili recipes not to mention, very Fall like. Does that sound enticing and accessible?

No

Absolutely not.

And I mean that with all the love and respect I can muster. My sole reason for this is that "Pumpkin anything" is becoming so overused, that I'm just fed up with it. Winter squashes aren't exactly on my top 100 list of favorites anyway, and now I'd rather Gangam style dance my way into a pair of skinny jeans and a "vintage punk leather jacket" than to jump onto the pumpkin bandwagon. The pumpkin fetish in the past few years has surpassed the "bacon in everything" fetish of recent memory.

I think what you've been doing with incorporating wild game back into some (seemingly) exotic recipes will be more catchy than just another "Pumpkin trend" recipe. Caribbean jerk, corned beef, simple loin recipes, and others are a much better utilization of game than another new twist on an old play.

Teach people to properly season and sear a backstrap. Oven roast a shoulder and turn it into thin-sliced French dip meat. Find a recipe for Jamaican "patties". But please, spare me the damnn pumpkins.

Thing is, its magazine that appeals to "soccer moms", so nothing exotic or that requires a multi day process is going to work. To be realistic, you have to think in terms of what is going to sound good to a soccer mom from Southaven who's husband sticks a deer or two in the freezer that they use only for taco night.

Plus, I have until 6 pm today to get it submitted, I have a half thawed neck sitting out and I have a bunch of work to get done before I skip town on Thursday. Chili is relatively easy to make no matter how you do it, I already know what needs to go in it, just need to figure out the exact proportions. Anything else is going to be a sciene experiment that I don't have much time to pay attention to.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3372354 - 09/24/13 10:25 AM Re: Recipe approval [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Simply said, I'd suggest to go with what you know. Play with pumpkin for dinner, but give the Shaven soccer moms something to do with a backstrap besides soaking it in milk before marinating in Dale's, and throwing it on the smoker all day.

Please, no pumpkin.

#3372790 - 09/24/13 04:09 PM Re: Recipe approval [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
I'm seriously lagging on this project. Deadline is 6 pm and this was me at 2 PM with a single, big hunk of tough meat. Its all in the pot now (pumkin and all, TAFKAP). What can I say? you have to play to the crowd.

#3372808 - 09/24/13 04:19 PM Re: Recipe approval [Re: Poser]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

content Online
Not the pumpkin!!!!! You mine as well be drinking a pumpkin flavored beer with it. Better yet, place here in nashville makes a spiced gin. I think you'd been better of with roasting some type of squash (butternut) in lieu of the pumpkin.

Good luck with it.

#3372820 - 09/24/13 04:45 PM Re: Recipe approval [Re: jb3]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
In a survey of men, the smell of pumpkin scored consistently high on the erotic scale.

Edited by Poser (09/24/13 04:45 PM)

#3372841 - 09/24/13 05:13 PM Re: Recipe approval [Re: Poser]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
Alright, here you go:

Venison Pumpkin Chili (Aka Poser's "Soccer Mom" Chili). If you want to kick it up, change the spice serving from Teaspoon to Tablespoon. That's how we did and decided it was a little too much kick for the unwashed masses.

This recipe makes 10 servings, great for freezing and will keep in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 Pieces of Bacon, Diced
2 Lbs of Venison Stew Meat (trimmed of fat & sinew), in 2 inch cubes
1 Large White Onion, Diced
1 Bottle of Beer, (Lager or Dark Ale, or Oktoberfest)
2 Jalapeno Peppers, Chopped (seeds removed if desired)
3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Chipotle Chili Powder
1.5 Tsp Chili Powder
1 Tsp Oregano
1 Tsp Cumin
1 Tsp Cocoa Powder
1 15 oz can of of Pumpkin
1 32 oz can of Crushed Tomatoes
1 6 oz can Tomato Paste
1/2 Tbsp Salt
2 Tbsp Honey
4 Large Carrots, diced
2 cans of Black Beans, drained and Rinsed

Recipe
1. In a large heavy pot, heat 2 Tbsp Olive Oil over medium heat
2. Add bacon to oil and Sautee bacon for 6 minutes (or until brown and crispy).
3. Pat the meat dry with a towel and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Taking care not to crowd the pot, add the meat to the pot with the oil and bacon and brown on all 4 sides. When the meat has browned remove it from pot and reserve. Leave the fat in the pot. Do this step in batches, if necessary.
7. Add diced Jalapeno Peppers, and diced Onion to the same pot and saute for 3 Minutes.
8. Add Garlic and allow to cook for 1 minute
9. While garlic is cooking, add all of the spices and salt.
10. Add beer, tomato paste, pumpkin, canned tomatoes, and honey.
16. Add the browned meat and juices back to the pot and bring everything to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and allow to simmer for 2 hours.
17. Add Carrots and drained black beans to the pot and bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for another 30-45 minutes.

*Serve hot and Garnish with any combination of the following: Pumpkin Seeds, Sour Cream, Cheddar Cheese, Tortilla Chips, Cilantro.

#3372954 - 09/24/13 07:09 PM Re: Recipe approval [Re: Poser]
Inkstainz
14 Point

Loc: Memphis, Tennessee

I don't think I would have gone the pumpkin route. I bet most of the soccer moms will leave the pumpkin out because their kids won't eat it. But that is just my .02 and your the resident chef.
#3373236 - 09/24/13 10:43 PM Re: Recipe approval [Re: Inkstainz]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Well, if anyone could pull it off, you certainly could. Good job....wouldn't have been my pick ;\)

#3373238 - 09/24/13 10:43 PM Re: Recipe approval [Re: TAFKAP]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Can you mention the magazine yet?

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
OfficerBuck, rapalabuck, medic2fpc, MachDR, pop
13308 Registered Users
Who's Online
107 registered (jakeway, Master Chief, punkcat, Mike Belt, fourwheeler431, tn droptine, 13 invisible) and 159 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13308 Members
42 Forums
94056 Topics
1098784 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.113 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.