Topic Options
#3370971 - 09/23/13 10:45 AM Most Americans know nothing about Common Core
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

content Online
Most Americans know nothing about Common Core

Bob Kellogg (OneNewsNow.com) Monday, September 23, 2013

A new poll reveals that most Americans have no idea what the Common Core Standards involve even though it will hugely impact their children and taxes.

Forty-five states have adopted the Common Core Standards. But a Phi Delta Kappa/Gallup poll on Americans' attitudes toward public education reveals that 62% are clueless when it comes to knowing what the standards are. Brittany Corona with the Heritage Foundation discusses the problem with that scenario.

Corona

“The scariest thing about the Common Core initiative right now is that 62% of American citizenry has no idea what is going on in the schools,” she tells OneNewsNow. “But of that 62%, the majority of them are going to have their children subjected to the common core standard very soon.”

She says many of the families who are taking notice don't like what they’re learning about Common Core.

“The best thing that parents and teachers can do is start to question their own Board of Education, start questioning their own State Department of Education, and ask them what exactly are the stipulations connected to the Common Core national consortia that their children are going to be subjected to very soon,” Corona says.

Corona emphasizes that this is yet another top-down approach to education reform that state officials adopted without prior examination because of the lure of stimulus funding.

http://onenewsnow.com//education/2013/09...re#.UkBj6ozD_RY

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3371290 - 09/23/13 02:29 PM Re: Most Americans know nothing about Common Core [Re: MUP]
Hangnail
12 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Wonder if the father that was recently arrested for asking questions at a Maryland school board meeting could use Brittany Corona's thoughts as a defense at his trial?
#3371652 - 09/23/13 07:39 PM Re: Most Americans know nothing about Common Core [Re: Hangnail]
94user
8 Point

Loc: Millington, Tn

happy Online
Three days ago I had no knowledge of it.

#3372023 - 09/23/13 10:27 PM Re: Most Americans know nothing about Common Core [Re: 94user]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Loc: Milan, TN

No one freak out, but what in the world is Common Core? I know it's got something to do with public school curriculum but beyone that, im lost. Any good links or info would be much appreciated.

Just because it's bad-a** don't mean it's a good idea.

#3372039 - 09/23/13 11:24 PM Re: Most Americans know nothing about Common Core [Re: DirtyBear0311]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: DirtyBear0311
No one freak out, but what in the world is Common Core? I know it's got something to do with public school curriculum but beyone that, im lost. Any good links or info would be much appreciated.

I'm in the same boat. "Good links," i.e., objective links that do not have a strong agenda, is the key phrase here.

#3372082 - 09/24/13 05:01 AM Re: Most Americans know nothing about Common Core [Re: Bambi Buster]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

content Online
Absolutely, the more information the better, just that it's kinda hard to get answers when you can apparently get arrested for asking the questions.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3372231 - 09/24/13 08:18 AM Re: Most Americans know nothing about Common Core [Re: MUP]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

The best most simple example I've seen about Common Core was shown on ABC News a couple weeks ago.

One of the questions on a school test was;

4 X 7 = ?

The girl put down

The girl scored 100% A+.

She was graded on "effort" rather than the "right answer". The thinking is if she saw the question as

4 + 7

then the answer would have indeed been 11 so they let her answer stand as right.

Down to it's very base level, in Common Core, EVERYBODY is right, everybody gets a trophy.

If you want more complex answers we will have to do some REAL research since most of those search engines will send you to the "pro" common core sites and they will try to BS their way.

#3372584 - 09/24/13 01:29 PM Re: Most Americans know nothing about Common Core [Re: Wildcat]
savageman
4 Point

Loc: east tn

I think it is a good thing.
It would be good for students in all 50 states to learn the same basic skills of English, Science and Math.

here is a link from the state of tennesse
http://www.tncore.org/about_common_core.aspx

Edited by savageman (09/24/13 01:31 PM)

#3372665 - 09/24/13 02:42 PM Re: Most Americans know nothing about Common Core [Re: savageman]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

As I understand it.....

The common core is like no child left behind on steroids. The Federal government basically takes over the schools with this program.

Having minimum achievement levels is not the problem. Dumbing down the curriculum is. Add in the indoctrination programs and it gets downright scary.

Once a school accepts common core money, they loose almost all say in what is taught in the school. Parents become mostly irrelevant.

Its my understanding that Warren Co Tn schools get 40-60% of their operating money from the Feds and they are all about getting a few extra bucks by adopting common core.

Most of the parents have never heard of common core and those that have, only got the "its going to be great and we get FREE federal money! " line. The ones that have heard of it and done extensive research are loosing their minds about how bad it is.

Two veteran teachers I have spoken with are considering running for school board to try and block it.

#3372692 - 09/24/13 02:55 PM Re: Most Americans know nothing about Common Core [Re: savageman]
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: savageman
I think it is a good thing.
It would be good for students in all 50 states to learn the same basic skills of English, Science and Math.

here is a link from the state of tennesse
http://www.tncore.org/about_common_core.aspx

I think that education decisions should be made locally, by the people closest to the problem, rather than have bloated federal bureaucracies drive all schools to lower performance.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
48 registered (Poser, Meathunter73, Southpaw, nwsg76, worriedman, dt-34715, 6 invisible) and 114 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85218 Topics
1029893 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.232 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.