Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3369017 - 09/21/13 05:52 PM Re: Shoulder shots with a bow [Re: RUGER]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: RUGER
Ok this will be kind of long to set up but I am curious as to other people's thoughts on it.

Friend at work got a new place to hunt in KY.
It is alot of bottom area with alot of water.

The guy that got him in on the land told him if you shoot a deer, especially a big buck, you need to blow through both shoulders so we can find him.

If they run off in all this water you won't ever find him.

Now...

I told him that I suppose with the new fast bows out there, like his, I guess it is possible to do that.
However, I would HIGHLY recommend NOT intentionally shooting towards the shoulders.
In the first place if it is not totally broadside you are probably not gonna break but one shoulder and then you won't get alot of blood more than likely and could very well miss the vitals enough that he would run like a mile.

Also, if you did punch through both I doubted you would get a pass thru and then very little blood.

I told him I would take my chances with a good double lung shot and even if you don't have alot of blood you can track deer in water by watching the mud.

Was I wrong in my advice?

No, you were not wrong.

I talk to so many archers each year who don't truly understand the anatomy of a deer. "Shoulders" are comprised mostly of ball sockets and scapula, and humerus. Both the ball socket and the humerus are VERY thick and tough to get through, even with a high powered rifle bullet.
And if you do choose to shoot a deer through these bones, you are pretty much guaranteed to lose that shoulder meat.

I would guess shooting through both humerus bones and or ball sockets on both shoulders, with an arrow, (I don't care how much KE) is near impossible.

Now, getting an arrow through both scapulas, also referre to as "shoulder" is VERY possible with arrow, even light poundage, low KE arrows. I have been successful at doing this many times.

But NOTHING beats the high percentage shot of an arrow through BOTH lungs. BEHIND the shoulder.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3369120 - 09/21/13 07:40 PM Re: Shoulder shots with a bow [Re: 102]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

Good advise Ruger, as others have stated, a double lung shot will not be hard to track even in water; I dare say you will hear the splash!

#3369186 - 09/21/13 08:24 PM Re: Shoulder shots with a bow [Re: DMAG]
Hoss
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville , TN

A lot of people think the shoulder is not where it truly is. So a big part of the problem is in lack of familiarity with the anatomy of deer. Shoot for 3-4 inches above the center of the leg where it joins the body for top of heart/center of lungs on a perfectly broadside deer at the same level as the shooter.

Edited by Hoss (09/21/13 08:29 PM)

A mere shadow of the man I once was... Me!

#3369468 - 09/22/13 06:35 AM Re: Shoulder shots with a bow [Re: Hoss]
Grill-n-man
4 Point

Loc: rhea county tn

I agree that one should not try to shoot thru both shoulders but lets not forget that the perfect buckmaster broadside shot is not always there leaving us with angled shots that at times end up going thru a shoulder, rib, or brisket. Speed is not what drives the arrow thru it simply gets it there. Arrow weight and energy is what drives it thru. Think of it this way, a 22-250 is faster than a 45-70 but a 45-70 will penetrate better. I say this because now and days it seems most are getting hung up simply on how fast you can get the arrow there. It don't do you no good to shoot 330fps if you can't get to and thru the vitals. If you find a good mix of speed, weight, and energy you don't have to wait on the buckmaster shot and can get a good pass thru even if you have to go thru a shoulder, rib, etc.
#3369479 - 09/22/13 07:10 AM Re: Shoulder shots with a bow [Re: Grill-n-man]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

never a shoulder with any weapon for me, hate to lose meat with a rifle & too much bone for a arrow ,lost my first bow deer due to rain & the deer ducked & pulled back & I suspect it hit shoulder bone some as it wasn't a pass thru,even with my xbow & close I will pass if that's the only shot.I don't feed the yotes

#3370666 - 09/23/13 07:36 AM Re: Shoulder shots with a bow [Re: mike243]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

I never shoot for the shoulder with a bow!!!!

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
101 registered (doubledownranch, huntintn, DocT, Pic IN the Casa, bigcntry, TNRazorback, 14 invisible) and 140 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93278 Topics
1089194 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.117 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.