Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#340694 - 08/14/07 07:06 AM Re: Weather forecast [Re: 156p&y]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I saw that on Radar yesterday. Of course, it evaporated just before getting to my place. \:\(

Even the forecast rain early next week is looking more iffy. \:\(

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#340834 - 08/14/07 08:50 AM Re: Weather forecast [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
I saw that on Radar yesterday. Of course, it evaporated just before getting to my place. \:\(

It has been amazing over the years how many times I've pulled up the radar for Tennessee statewide, and the only place there was any rain was over Stewart County.

Being this "land between the lakes" is frequently causing some "lake effect" rainfall. IMO, this augmented rainfall may be causing Stewart to have some larger antlered bucks (relative to their age class) than some surrounding counties with better soils AND more agriculture.

A few years ago I overheard some comments at the LBL check station from some green suits, and in retrospect, it's possible one of them may have been Alan Peterson, as this would have been before I knew him. The comment went something like this:
"I can't believe all these good bucks coming in, and this is some of the sorriest soil in the region!"

Think about it.
How good are the "good" soils of Texas without adequate rainfall?

Or, how could it be that the neighboring Henry County, with better soils and much soybean & corn agriculture ---- and a better buck:doe ratio ---- and having recorded perhaps over ten times as many buck harvests during the past 30 years ---- yet Henry has produced few TN registry bucks compared to Stewart County. Why?

My contention is Stewart County, despite some less desirable soils and a relative lack of agriculture, consistently gets a little more rainfall than Henry County.

#340868 - 08/14/07 09:11 AM Re: Weather forecast [Re: Wes Parrish]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Guess this is a little "soapbox" issue of mine:
I like to focus on all the factors that come together to help produce larger antlered bucks, more than just saying it's all about the soil. The soil may very well be the single most important factor, or wait, could it be age, or sometimes even rainfall? Or do all the other factors collectively have a greater impact than the soil? Guess it depends on the soil. ;\)

#340875 - 08/14/07 09:14 AM Re: Weather forecast [Re: Wes Parrish]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Now wait a minute Wes, I thought the size of antlers didnt concern you? You have repeatedly posted that you are more interested in age than antlers!! LOL just razzin ya a little, somebody's gotta keep it honest!!
#340883 - 08/14/07 09:16 AM Re: Weather forecast [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I would also add a higher percentage of the land in timber for a factor of why Stewart beats Henry. Henry has the soils and the agriculture, but not enough cover to allow bucks to grow old.

That's always one of the "Catch 22" problems of areas with extensive timber. That timber allows bucks to grow old, but doesn't do much for antler development.

I can grow a lot of old bucks in my timber, but unless I can draw some of the bucks out of the nearby agricultural bottomlands, I'm not going to see any large-antlered old bucks. I'll have to count them up, but I guess I've photographed around a dozen mature bucks on my place over the last few years. But very few of those bucks would make the TN Registry.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#340911 - 08/14/07 09:36 AM Re: Weather forecast [Re: BSK]
tellico4x4
6 Point

Loc: Killen, AL

We took advantage of the hot, dry weather ths past weekend to do a little weed killing in the plots. Bush hogged,and sprayed them all. Plan on going back up and disking this weekend. Hopefully all the weeds will be history by the time the weather allows us to plant...

#340981 - 08/14/07 10:08 AM Re: Weather forecast [Re: tellico4x4]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Spraying doesnt work as well/fast when the plants arent actively growing. Good luck!
#341155 - 08/14/07 11:25 AM Re: Weather forecast [Re: Winchester]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Winchester
Now wait a minute Wes, I thought the size of antlers didnt concern you? You have repeatedly posted that you are more interested in age than antlers!!
Of course I'd rather have an older buck with larger antlers than one with smaller antlers.

Only point I was trying to make here is that in any given circumstance, collective other factors can be as important, and even more important than the base soil.

A yearling buck on the best soil seldom competes (antlers or weight) with a 3 1/2-yr-old buck on relatively poor soil. Likewise, put more rainfall on average soil than inadequate rainfall on better soil, and the average soil may grow larger deer and bucks with larger antlers (at all ages classes).

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway
13288 Registered Users
Who's Online
11 registered (sgtwebb1, 416wbymag, FLTENNHUNTER1, leader, garry, BuckDropper, 1 invisible) and 86 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13288 Members
42 Forums
85366 Topics
1031524 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.223 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.