Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3363739 - 09/17/13 09:45 PM Re: Looks like KY is on top of it [Re: fredfred]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Another thing I noticed in the KY deal, the Big South Fork is not included in the hunt. So there goes most of the public land opportunities, because I would think it would go the same way for us. That leaves Pickett State Forest and Scott State Forest, that I can think of, at least in the core bear area. Be glad to have private land.

#3363800 - 09/17/13 10:19 PM Re: Looks like KY is on top of it [Re: fredfred]
BowGirl
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Hope they open it soon. Great job Ky!
#3365879 - 09/19/13 12:02 PM Re: Looks like KY is on top of it [Re: BowGirl]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

You know, if every bear "outside" the Big South Fork was considered legal game during the regular deer season, there would likely remain a viable bear population going in the Big South Fork.

There's good reason why many large predators were very purposely eliminated or reduced in numbers from Tennessee and Kentucky over 100 years ago: Many large predators generally don't mix well with humans on a day-to-day basis, and that includes the humans in rural areas.

Call me crazy, but I'm perfectly fine with no bears outside BSF, and only a few within. They are not endangered, and we have a surplus for your viewing pleasure in the Smokies. Outside a few uninhabited by humans areas, I believe it's a mistake to be purposefully building up and expanding bear populations. Just allow hunters to take them incidentally outside places like BSF, and hopefully these bears will retain some natural fear of man.

I realize there's more reason not to re-introduce some other large animals which once freely roamed across Kentucky & Tennessee, but it's only to a little lesser degree of problems to people that bears are being re-introduced, while we're not re-introducing free-roaming bison and timber wolves. There's a place for all these, but "protected" to free-roam private property even in say Cumberland or Fentress Counties?

Kudos to the KDFWR for their proposal.

#3366435 - 09/19/13 07:08 PM Re: Looks like KY is on top of it [Re: Wes Parrish]
dovahkiin
4 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
You know, if every bear "outside" the Big South Fork was considered legal game during the regular deer season, there would likely remain a viable bear population going in the Big South Fork.

There's good reason why many large predators were very purposely eliminated or reduced in numbers from Tennessee and Kentucky over 100 years ago: Many large predators generally don't mix well with humans on a day-to-day basis, and that includes the humans in rural areas.

Call me crazy, but I'm perfectly fine with no bears outside BSF, and only a few within. They are not endangered, and we have a surplus for your viewing pleasure in the Smokies. Outside a few uninhabited by humans areas, I believe it's a mistake to be purposefully building up and expanding bear populations. Just allow hunters to take them incidentally outside places like BSF, and hopefully these bears will retain some natural fear of man.

I realize there's more reason not to re-introduce some other large animals which once freely roamed across Kentucky & Tennessee, but it's only to a little lesser degree of problems to people that bears are being re-introduced, while we're not re-introducing free-roaming bison and timber wolves. There's a place for all these, but "protected" to free-roam private property even in say Cumberland or Fentress Counties?

Kudos to the KDFWR for their proposal.

agreed

#3367184 - 09/20/13 10:03 AM Re: Looks like KY is on top of it [Re: dovahkiin]
fredfred
8 Point

Loc: crossville, tn

mad Online
The reason they were eliminated years ago was for the hides. Black bear are not considered predators ether. 85% of the black bear's diet consists of vegetation. They will how ever feed on very young or sick/weak animals if given an easy opportunity and carrion

Democrats and liberals have turned our country into a bunch of SISSYS

#3367418 - 09/20/13 12:17 PM Re: Looks like KY is on top of it [Re: fredfred]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: fredfred
Black bear are not considered predators ether. 85% of the black bear's diet consists of vegetation.

On an annual basis, I'm sure most of the black bear's diet consists of vegetation. But they are predators, and they can be very good at preying on deer fawns. In some studies, black bear have consumed a majority of the deer fawns born each year. I'd describe a black bear as being much like a gigantic raccoon, the main difference being the black bear is able to prey on larger animals, sometimes including humans.

#3367472 - 09/20/13 12:48 PM Re: Looks like KY is on top of it [Re: Wes Parrish]
fredfred
8 Point

Loc: crossville, tn

mad Online
 Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
a gigantic raccoon

That is a very accurate description actually. People just need to be educated on how to live around them and there won't be any problems to speak of.

Democrats and liberals have turned our country into a bunch of SISSYS

#3368352 - 09/21/13 09:37 AM Re: Looks like KY is on top of it [Re: fredfred]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

They are now offering Grey wolf hunts!

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/watchdogearth/2013/08/15/yes-it-was-a-wolf-in-kentucky/

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3370658 - 09/23/13 07:30 AM Re: Looks like KY is on top of it [Re: AT Hiker]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: AT Hiker
They are now offering Grey wolf hunts!

If you go up there looking for wolf, watch out for the cougars ---- lots of cougars in Kentucky. \:D

#3373052 - 09/24/13 08:15 PM Re: Looks like KY is on top of it [Re: Wes Parrish]
Doskil
6 Point

Loc: NC USA

There is little room left for bears in modern America.

Not really sure why the TWRA wants bear populations to expand?

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
101 registered (eastTN270, killerford, Lady's man, deadhead870, woodyard, Country1, 10 invisible) and 155 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91528 Topics
1069996 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.