Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3378286 - 09/28/13 07:54 PM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: Wes Parrish]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
 Originally Posted By: redblood
To kill a limit, you need to be able to recognize a killable squirrel from an unkillable squirrel. After many years in the fall squirrel woods, i have come to the conclusion that all squirrels can be classified in 3 ways- barkers, travelors and cutters. Your success will be hinged to killing travelors. They work faster and offer kill shots more quickly.

Redblood,

Would you mind elaborating more on how you chase those "travelors"? \:\)

I've always preferred pursuing the "cutters", but maybe if I can learn better how to get the "travelors" . . . . . . . . .
Seems I do take as many "travelors", but usually while I'm waiting on a "cutter" to show himself, rather than deliberately pursuing a "travelor". Seems while I'm on to a "cutter", some "travelors" travel my way.

i try to them off, by trying to locate a good rest tree in their path. if they are moving fast without pausing i let them go

#3378921 - 09/29/13 10:36 AM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: redblood]
JAD
4 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro,Tennessee

Redblood, have you ever tried using a mono/bipod as a rest? I also like to find a tree to rest the gun on, but sometimes getting to one that provides a clear shot causes me to get busted....and things usually go south from there.
#3380158 - 09/29/13 09:52 PM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: JAD]
redblood
16 Point

i use mono pods for note calling but have never for squirrels

#3383476 - 10/01/13 08:12 PM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: ghostfive]
LA man
18 Point

Loc: spencer, tn/houma, la.

Great info, thanks for sharing

#3421965 - 10/27/13 11:19 AM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: ghostfive]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

great post
#3731658 - 08/11/14 08:28 PM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
redblood
16 Point

I guess Its that time of year again.

#3732288 - 08/12/14 02:51 PM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: redblood]
JAD
4 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro,Tennessee

Looking forward to it, haven't missed a squirrel opener in many years.
#3732301 - 08/12/14 03:10 PM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: redblood]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

I guess Its that time of year again.

YES IT IS!!! \:\)

A few very key things you pointed out, and for which I wholeheartedly agree . . . . . .

. . . . . in August or September. Limits ride on the limbs of hickories not Oaks.

And it is often just 2 or 3 individual trees from which you take 10 squirrels. You may not actually take all 10 directly from those 2 or 3, but they are often "traveling" to or from those 2 or 3.

To kill a limit, you need to be able to recognize a killable squirrel from an unkillable squirrel. . . . . . squirrels can be classified in 3 ways- barkers, travelers and cutters. Your success will be hinged to killing travelors. They work faster and offer kill shots more quickly. Barkers often take too much time to locate and spook before you locate them. Remember, they are barking for a reason- they are spooked. Cutters can be nice bonuses but can be tough to locate in the early season. I usually ony mess with cutters if i know that my limit is not in jeopardy and if the cutter is in a small tree.

While I agree with you, I enjoy the actual hunting of "cutters" most. About half my limits are typically "cutters" and half "travelers". Fewer than 1 in 10 will be a "barker". I've learned to just ignore distant barkers, looking only for those barkers that sound within close shooting range of current position. And then, if they stop barking, move on, as you need to cover some ground.

My take is that many I would classify as "cutters" become "travelers" soon as I take that first one or two "cutters", which begin "traveling" away from that dangerous hickory tree. I often hunt in a large circle, but making it twice before 9AM. This allows a re-visit to a good hickory visited an hour or two earlier. Take what you can quickly, then move on, but reserve the option to come back to a good tree before 9A (really best before 8A).

The magic harvest time has been best for me between 6:30 am and 8:00 am. I see more then (late August to early September) than the entire rest of the day. Realizing this, this is what can mean the difference between spending too much time trying to see a "cutter" high in a huge hickory vs. simply not spending too much time with any one squirrel. Sometime around 8am to 9am, most squirrels simply become inactive during the early fall season.

I think squirrel hunting is the purest form of hunting. What could be better than trying to harvest a limit of animals who have the vantage point on us. It incorporates stealth, accuracy, tree ID, mobility, tracking and time management. It is truly a southern heritage and for some, it is an untapped resource.

I agree.
It's a shame so many start out deer hunting only, only to give up hunting because they never really learned so much about basic "hunting" skills which may be more enjoyably acquired by hunting small game such as squirrels. Become a good squirrel hunter and you will more quickly become a better turkey and deer hunter.

#3732320 - 08/12/14 03:39 PM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: Wes Parrish]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

I can't think of a better "hunting" opportunity to introduce a young or novice hunter, than a morning squirrel hunt.

IMO, it allows much more opportunity for an inexperienced person to come to enjoy the hunting experience, especially those who may have less patience and more distractions. The morning squirrel hunt is typically only about 2 or 3 hrs total time afield, there is no worry about scent or wind direction, it's more "active" than sitting in a blind or a stand, typically much more shooting and much more "hunting" than just sitting watching a food plot.

#3732392 - 08/12/14 05:42 PM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: Wes Parrish]
Mud Creek
4 Point

Loc: Mid TN

Mr. Wes i agree but I think its small game hunting in general thats the best way to get people involved. Good post!
Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
37 registered (Bow Hunter, 94user, harley 2008, downthebrown, ruthunter, MUP, 3 invisible) and 81 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91472 Topics
1069341 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.