Topic Options
#3361804 - 09/16/13 07:29 PM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: WMAn]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: WMAn
 Originally Posted By: redblood
 Originally Posted By: timberjack86
Great tips that can be used by shotgun hunters.

have never hunted with a shotgun. just dont think it would be my thing

You should try a single shot 410. Shot selection becomes almost as important as a 22, and the single shot provides an extra challenge in terms of reloading, when you are dealing with more than one squirrel in range.
I had a 16 gauge singleshot. I loved that gun. Times got hard and money was tight I like the extra pop of a 20 or 16 over a 410. But I love the challenge of a good single shot.

#3361904 - 09/16/13 08:16 PM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: ghostfive]
sure shot
8 Point

Loc: robertson,co TN

good read

#3367938 - 09/20/13 07:05 PM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: sure shot]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

i have tried 3 times to go since i broke my foot and couldnt get into the woods due to pain. but by the grace of god, i finally have full mobility back so sunday morn, i should be able to add another limit.

#3367964 - 09/20/13 10:24 PM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: redblood]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Great post Redblood.
Not much to add to all this.

But just a little . . . . . .

Fox squirrels have a tendency to not be as active in the early morning as gray squirrels; fox squirrels are more likely to be active during mid-morning than gray squirrels. Unfortunately, seems to be mostly gray squirrels most of my best squirrel woods.

You can see squirrels at all times of day, but I totally agree with Redblood that if you don't have your limit by around 8:30 or 9:00, you probably have about all you're going to get even if you hunt hard on until noon. It's not just an issue of the squirrels becoming less active, but an issue of the wind picking up and other factors making squirrels harder to hear, harder to see, and harder to hit.

A "cutter" in the typical morning early "calm" can be heard from a considerable distance, and easily killed when seen. But put him on a limb blowing in the wind, he's much harder to hit if seen, while you're more likely to never hear or see him. Need to have 6 to 8 squirrels by 8am to have a great chance of a limit by 9am.

#3368071 - 09/21/13 04:49 AM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: redblood]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

i have tried 3 times to go since i broke my foot and couldnt get into the woods due to pain. but by the grace of god, i finally have full mobility back so sunday morn, i should be able to add another limit.

I once had an ingrown toenail that kept me from hunting the KY juvenile deer hunt, so I feel your pain. Except in my case, it was more my mom than the pain that kept me at home.

I'm up working this morning so that I can go squirrel hunting on Monday morning.

This time last year, the squirrels were really in a grove of beech trees on a north facing river bluff. That's where I'll be headed.

#3368121 - 09/21/13 06:57 AM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: WMAn]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

monday looks prime. good luck to ya. sunday looks nice, but i am worried about a bit of north wind behind the front. i would say the conversion from hickories to oaks has begun. i have killed quite a few from beech trees over the yrs. it seems they have a small window of attraction, but that attraction is strong.

#3369256 - 09/21/13 08:59 PM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: redblood]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Has anybody else noticed that fox squirrels seem to really like pines ? I rarely see a fox squirrel in the pure hardwood stands. If there are some pines around my sightings go way up.

#3369533 - 09/22/13 08:02 AM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: fishboy1]
WMAn
8 Point

Originally Posted By: fishboy1
Has anybody else noticed that fox squirrels seem to really like pines ? I rarely see a fox squirrel in the pure hardwood stands. If there are some pines around my sightings go way up.

I have never noticed that fox squirrels have an affinity for pines. My experience is that fox squirrels are hit or miss. Certain woodlots have them others do not. I have noticed that along the Duck River fox squirrels really like river bluffs.

#3369838 - 09/22/13 01:48 PM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: WMAn]
WMAn
8 Point

Redblood,

How did you do this morning? The wind appeared to pick up a little bit here at the house around 7:30.

I ended up getting to go yesterday afternoon. I hunted from a kayak on the duck river. The wind made it tough. I managed just one gray squirrel out of the five squirrels I spotted.

I'll be back at it in the morning.

#3373247 - 09/24/13 10:50 PM Re: Squirrel limit tips.... (long read) [Re: redblood]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

To kill a limit, you need to be able to recognize a killable squirrel from an unkillable squirrel. After many years in the fall squirrel woods, i have come to the conclusion that all squirrels can be classified in 3 ways- barkers, travelors and cutters. Your success will be hinged to killing travelors. They work faster and offer kill shots more quickly.

Redblood,

Would you mind elaborating more on how you chase those "travelors"? \:\)

I've always preferred pursuing the "cutters", but maybe if I can learn better how to get the "travelors" . . . . . . . . .
Seems I do take as many "travelors", but usually while I'm waiting on a "cutter" to show himself, rather than deliberately pursuing a "travelor". Seems while I'm on to a "cutter", some "travelors" travel my way.

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
AKeys, GUIDO, Bnpainter, TannersDad, Bowkiller13
13380 Registered Users
Who's Online
57 registered (plinker22, DCOOK223, kel, paradis1142, mountain man 71, DEER REPELLANT, 4 invisible) and 97 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13380 Members
42 Forums
95604 Topics
1118869 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.051 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.