Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3352784 - 09/09/13 12:26 PM Wader Question
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I'm making it a goal to do more waterfowling this season. Most of my hunting will be in flooded timber on public land. When late season deer hunting, I have seen multiple areas that seem to hold wood ducks and do not appear to get hunted because the access requires a great deal of walking. As a result, most of my duck hunting will involve lots of walking and navigating flooded timber.

I was in Cabelas yesterday and they had some waders on sale for about $50 off. They are 5 mm Neoprene "armor flex" with 1600 gram boots. It was a bit of a impulse buy. My question is, do you think that this is the right thickness for what I am doing? I'm a little concerned that theses waders may be a little hot for my purposes.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3352801 - 09/09/13 12:39 PM Re: Wader Question [Re: Poser]
Kevin
8 Point

Loc: Jackson, TN

It all depends on what you wear under them. When i hunt public land, and i knnow there is going to be more walking involved, i will wear a lighter base layer. But if i am hunting our pits in arkansas and know i will be sitting in the blind for 5 hours, not moving around, i will wear some thick sweatpants. If your waders have a belt, you can wear a light layer in them but wear them unsnapped, but once you get there, snap em up and keep the warmth in.

I have 5mm, lacrosse Swamp Tuff, I do all i can to stay warm and dry.

A bad day fishing is better than a good day of work.

Roll Tide

#3352881 - 09/09/13 01:53 PM Re: Wader Question [Re: Kevin]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

The 5 mm should hold up well, but I think they are going to be too warm. I have used 3mm before and breathable waders, with fleece wader pants under them. I went to the breathable waders because even the 3mm got to hot on long walks. Never had trouble getting cold.

The 1600 thinsulate would worry me. That's a lot of bulk and weight for long walks.

A guy I hunted with in Mississippi used stocking foot waders for hunts that required long walks.

The first time I hunted with him, when he had them on, we were in a group of 4-5 hunters. We rode an atv a 1/2 mile and then walked another mile. He was wearing camo pants and a wool shirt over the waders with a pair of tennis shoes. He had on a backpack, and we all assumed he had his waders in the pack. We get to the slough and stand around talking for a bit. All the sudden he says, "you boys ready," and wades up to his waist. We're all freaking out thinking he forgot to put his waders on, when he lets us in on his secret.

The stocking foot waders worked well for him, and I have always wanted to give them a try.

#3352952 - 09/09/13 02:55 PM Re: Wader Question [Re: WMAn]
Southern Sportsman
6 Point

Loc: West TN

What area are you planning on hunting Poser? Im guessing AK since there isnt a lot of flooded timber on this side of the river. Also, how much duck do you eat?
#3353096 - 09/09/13 04:27 PM Re: Wader Question [Re: Southern Sportsman]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Southern Sportsman
What area are you planning on hunting Poser? Im guessing AK since there isnt a lot of flooded timber on this side of the river. Also, how much duck do you eat?

It will be in TN. There are some areas that stay flooded all year as well as some that flood depending on the amount of rain and what the beavers do. In all cases, I have bumped wood ducks consistently when there is water.

As far as eating, we usually find a lot of uses for ducks so I can go through a lot. Usually, I only kill a few myself and get batches of them as gifts from friends who are real duck hunters.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3353601 - 09/10/13 05:56 AM Re: Wader Question [Re: Poser]
Hawk
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: west tenn.

I would be more concerned about the durability of the neopreme. I had a almost new pair of light hip waders that I used turkey hunting at Reelfoot NWR. They had several small leaks after one day of hutning. They will not stand up to brush busting like rubber boots.

#3357267 - 09/12/13 06:35 PM Re: Wader Question [Re: Hawk]
Crazyeye
Spike

Loc: West TN

The group I hunt with has several guys with the cabelas supermag 1600 gram waders including myself. This is my second pair the last pair I had made it about 6 six years before I tore them to bad on some hog panel attached to a blind (long story). They are the toughest waders I have ever used. The only thing is they will be hot in warm weather. I wear blue jeans under mine all year unless it gets really cold and we are standing in water. Then I just wear my under armor and hunting pants. I was going to buy some Mack's prairie wing waders but found the cables on sale.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Taylor, CBU93, TurkeyBurd, Bobby G, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
21 registered (browtines, feldmutze, MUP, ImThere, dogman, pastorbmp, 2 invisible) and 118 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85591 Topics
1034237 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.227 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.