Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3355299 - 09/11/13 11:27 AM In your opinion
VolHunter22
4 Point

Loc: Knox, TN and Cordova, TN

Why are most college undergrads liberal? In my four years it seemed that not only was being conservative looked down on, but anyone who was publicly conservative was considered beneath the "enlightened" left. Its something interesting I was thinking about and I was just wondering what others think causes this.
#3355312 - 09/11/13 11:36 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: VolHunter22]
de novo
10 Point

Loc: Middle TN

"If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty, you have no brain.”

― Winston Churchill

-----------------------------------------------

I was obviously a heartless twenty year old.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3355326 - 09/11/13 11:47 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: de novo]
JWW4
8 Point

Loc: Signal Mtn, TN

Liberal feels good. "We should help people", "We should feed people", "Everyone should have healthcare". It feels good.

Liberal has positioned itself as the view of the rebel. What 18-24 year old doesn't want to rebel.

Liberal tells college kids it can give them something for nothing. College kids are poor and pay no taxes. They want the free stuff.

Liberal tells people it isn't their fault. Credit card debt, Visa did it. Pay Day Load, predatory lending. Bad job, greedy corporations.

Liberal frees them of responsibility. Free food, sex with out parent hood...

Media, Hollywood et al tell them liberal is cool.

I could go on, but you get the idea

My Training Journal
http://www.gymwhisman.blogspot.com/

Like my farm on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mt-Top-Sheep-Farm/379848202142838

#3355385 - 09/11/13 12:14 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: JWW4]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

I have thought about this too.

College has changed from rigorous immersion in studies and developing yourself into a responsible enlightened adult to an adult adolescent period.

Instead of sacrificing most of your childish desires to excel and conquer a grueling curriculum, now you get to prolong your immaturity and put responsibility "on credit" until you graduate.

You are old enough to vote, buy alcohol, drive, enter into contracts, live on your own, have sex....BUT avoid the adult responsibility that goes with those privileges as most students are living off government loans or parents money. The majority of college curriculums have been watered down enough that students have plenty of time for social activities and causes. This further delays the maturity that comes with responsibility.

The communists of the 40's-50's knew that the only way to gain inroads in America was to indoctrinate the young and the education system was their #1 target. Many of the college professors are outright marxists who use students as "useful idiots" pushing a liberal agenda.

#3355769 - 09/11/13 04:44 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: fishboy1]
iowavf
10 Point

Loc: southwest iowa

Originally Posted By: fishboy1
I have thought about this too.

College has changed from rigorous immersion in studies and developing yourself into a responsible enlightened adult to an adult adolescent period.

Instead of sacrificing most of your childish desires to excel and conquer a grueling curriculum, now you get to prolong your immaturity and put responsibility "on credit" until you graduate.

You are old enough to vote, buy alcohol, drive, enter into contracts, live on your own, have sex....BUT avoid the adult responsibility that goes with those privileges as most students are living off government loans or parents money. The majority of college curriculums have been watered down enough that students have plenty of time for social activities and causes. This further delays the maturity that comes with responsibility.

The communists of the 40's-50's knew that the only way to gain inroads in America was to indoctrinate the young and the education system was their #1 target. Many of the college professors are outright marxists who use students as "useful idiots" pushing a liberal agenda.

Was thinking the same thing. Most not all college students are still living off their parents of government loans that they haven't started or even thinking about paying back and would bet most don't even have an idea how much they owe? Professors push their liberal agenda on students and this is what most of the students here are how great the liberal ideas are because they help people. Free this and free that so everyone can enjoy a good life is what they are told, but the most important part about who has to pay for all of these things are left out until it's too late. My oldest daughter and her husband voted for Obama the 1st time around, but after getting out of college and living in the real world they soon figured out the libs ideas didn't make much sense to the working people.

#3356034 - 09/11/13 08:09 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: iowavf]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

Liberal Professors.

#3356571 - 09/12/13 09:18 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: FLTENNHUNTER1]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

Originally Posted By: FLTENNHUNTER1
Liberal Professors.

Yep! Precluded by liberal government school teachers. The vast majority of school teachers label themselves as democrats or liberals. I know that there are exceptions, especially around here, but this has been the outcome of numerous surveys/studies over the years.

#3356589 - 09/12/13 09:29 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: EastTNHunter]
The ScubaCamper
4 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Liberalism can be summed up with a short phrase: "Good in theory"

It seems like every liberal ideological viewpoint seems good in theory and on paper, but once you input that pesky "human nature" aspect, zero liberal ideas work.

Since those who espouse liberal ideology cannot support their theories with actual facts & research, they must do whatever they can to continue their push - and what's left?

The only tactic remaining is to desparage the credibility of your opposition. Hence, below-the-belt attacks and ridiculous accusations.

Colleges are full of liberal ideology because the underpinning of colegiate campuses are the professors. And what are professors? Professors are those who have devoted their life & vocation to education and literature (not literature as in works of art, literature as in information in writing).

When you spend your life inside a book, you have no real grasp on reality. You might think you do, but if you haven't actually gone out and DONE what you're teaching, you don't REALLY know....

This is why so MANY professors are such drones and push liberal ideology - it sounds good & plausible to them, so why not??

Also, just like JWW4 said - liberalism is feel-good-ism. Our culture has really lurched to the emotional side of life, wanting to live our lives in a way that "feels" best - because afterall, this is what we're taught! From the media, to the textbooks, to the teachers, to even some of our parents!

I keep my head level by consistenly returning to logic and life experience (and the Bible of course). Feel-good-ism is attractive and tempting, but life is not that pretty and it's not that nice. This is what liberals do not seem to understand.

That quote from Winston Churchill is quite accurate and appropriate.

#3360958 - 09/16/13 07:22 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: The ScubaCamper]
Steverino
4 Point

Loc: CT US

One of the interesting and not much talked about outcomes especially here in the Peoples Republics in the Northeast is that alot of colleges here don't turn out graduates with any kind of business skills. For years weve hemorrhaged jobs offshore and down south because the libs in the high school systems push for Liberal Arts degrees or anything just to get you in college - like its a panacea. I've worked in a couple of places where we had PHDs doing jobs way below their skill level simply because no one wanted to pay them a PHD salary or because their degree wasnt something in demand.

Lately - private colleges here and a few state run are now pushing things like CNC machine programming or something manufacturing oriented - however too little too late.

Don't let them do that down south because if they do you'll get the dependent class like we have up here - and they vote.

#3361145 - 09/16/13 10:23 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: Steverino]
Rebel
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee USA

Last time I was in CT I was less than 5 miles from downtown Hartford.... Looked more like Mogadishu...

Tolerance is a virtue of those who believe in nothing.

Deo Vindice

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
86 registered (7mm08, shelbydeer, deerkiller300wsm, waterfowlwidowmaker, cdw338, KyRick, 15 invisible) and 127 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85399 Topics
1031883 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.326 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.