Tndeer Logo

Page all of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3355299 - 09/11/13 11:27 AM In your opinion
VolHunter22
4 Point

Loc: Knox, TN and Cordova, TN

Why are most college undergrads liberal? In my four years it seemed that not only was being conservative looked down on, but anyone who was publicly conservative was considered beneath the "enlightened" left. Its something interesting I was thinking about and I was just wondering what others think causes this.
#3355312 - 09/11/13 11:36 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: VolHunter22]
de novo
10 Point

Loc: Middle TN

"If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty, you have no brain.”

― Winston Churchill

-----------------------------------------------

I was obviously a heartless twenty year old.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3355326 - 09/11/13 11:47 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: de novo]
JWW4
8 Point

Loc: Signal Mtn, TN

Liberal feels good. "We should help people", "We should feed people", "Everyone should have healthcare". It feels good.

Liberal has positioned itself as the view of the rebel. What 18-24 year old doesn't want to rebel.

Liberal tells college kids it can give them something for nothing. College kids are poor and pay no taxes. They want the free stuff.

Liberal tells people it isn't their fault. Credit card debt, Visa did it. Pay Day Load, predatory lending. Bad job, greedy corporations.

Liberal frees them of responsibility. Free food, sex with out parent hood...

Media, Hollywood et al tell them liberal is cool.

I could go on, but you get the idea

Journal: http://www.gymwhisman.blogspot.com/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mt-Top-Sheep-Farm/379848202142838

#3355385 - 09/11/13 12:14 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: JWW4]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

I have thought about this too.

College has changed from rigorous immersion in studies and developing yourself into a responsible enlightened adult to an adult adolescent period.

Instead of sacrificing most of your childish desires to excel and conquer a grueling curriculum, now you get to prolong your immaturity and put responsibility "on credit" until you graduate.

You are old enough to vote, buy alcohol, drive, enter into contracts, live on your own, have sex....BUT avoid the adult responsibility that goes with those privileges as most students are living off government loans or parents money. The majority of college curriculums have been watered down enough that students have plenty of time for social activities and causes. This further delays the maturity that comes with responsibility.

The communists of the 40's-50's knew that the only way to gain inroads in America was to indoctrinate the young and the education system was their #1 target. Many of the college professors are outright marxists who use students as "useful idiots" pushing a liberal agenda.

#3355769 - 09/11/13 04:44 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: fishboy1]
iowavf
10 Point

Loc: southwest iowa

Originally Posted By: fishboy1
I have thought about this too.

College has changed from rigorous immersion in studies and developing yourself into a responsible enlightened adult to an adult adolescent period.

Instead of sacrificing most of your childish desires to excel and conquer a grueling curriculum, now you get to prolong your immaturity and put responsibility "on credit" until you graduate.

You are old enough to vote, buy alcohol, drive, enter into contracts, live on your own, have sex....BUT avoid the adult responsibility that goes with those privileges as most students are living off government loans or parents money. The majority of college curriculums have been watered down enough that students have plenty of time for social activities and causes. This further delays the maturity that comes with responsibility.

The communists of the 40's-50's knew that the only way to gain inroads in America was to indoctrinate the young and the education system was their #1 target. Many of the college professors are outright marxists who use students as "useful idiots" pushing a liberal agenda.

Was thinking the same thing. Most not all college students are still living off their parents of government loans that they haven't started or even thinking about paying back and would bet most don't even have an idea how much they owe? Professors push their liberal agenda on students and this is what most of the students here are how great the liberal ideas are because they help people. Free this and free that so everyone can enjoy a good life is what they are told, but the most important part about who has to pay for all of these things are left out until it's too late. My oldest daughter and her husband voted for Obama the 1st time around, but after getting out of college and living in the real world they soon figured out the libs ideas didn't make much sense to the working people.

#3356034 - 09/11/13 08:09 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: iowavf]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

Liberal Professors.

17.9 Trillion http://www.usdebtclock.org/

#3356571 - 09/12/13 09:18 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: FLTENNHUNTER1]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

Originally Posted By: FLTENNHUNTER1
Liberal Professors.

Yep! Precluded by liberal government school teachers. The vast majority of school teachers label themselves as democrats or liberals. I know that there are exceptions, especially around here, but this has been the outcome of numerous surveys/studies over the years.

#3356589 - 09/12/13 09:29 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: EastTNHunter]
The ScubaCamper
6 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Liberalism can be summed up with a short phrase: "Good in theory"

It seems like every liberal ideological viewpoint seems good in theory and on paper, but once you input that pesky "human nature" aspect, zero liberal ideas work.

Since those who espouse liberal ideology cannot support their theories with actual facts & research, they must do whatever they can to continue their push - and what's left?

The only tactic remaining is to desparage the credibility of your opposition. Hence, below-the-belt attacks and ridiculous accusations.

Colleges are full of liberal ideology because the underpinning of colegiate campuses are the professors. And what are professors? Professors are those who have devoted their life & vocation to education and literature (not literature as in works of art, literature as in information in writing).

When you spend your life inside a book, you have no real grasp on reality. You might think you do, but if you haven't actually gone out and DONE what you're teaching, you don't REALLY know....

This is why so MANY professors are such drones and push liberal ideology - it sounds good & plausible to them, so why not??

Also, just like JWW4 said - liberalism is feel-good-ism. Our culture has really lurched to the emotional side of life, wanting to live our lives in a way that "feels" best - because afterall, this is what we're taught! From the media, to the textbooks, to the teachers, to even some of our parents!

I keep my head level by consistenly returning to logic and life experience (and the Bible of course). Feel-good-ism is attractive and tempting, but life is not that pretty and it's not that nice. This is what liberals do not seem to understand.

That quote from Winston Churchill is quite accurate and appropriate.

#3360958 - 09/16/13 07:22 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: The ScubaCamper]
Steverino
6 Point

Loc: Giles Co

One of the interesting and not much talked about outcomes especially here in the Peoples Republics in the Northeast is that alot of colleges here don't turn out graduates with any kind of business skills. For years weve hemorrhaged jobs offshore and down south because the libs in the high school systems push for Liberal Arts degrees or anything just to get you in college - like its a panacea. I've worked in a couple of places where we had PHDs doing jobs way below their skill level simply because no one wanted to pay them a PHD salary or because their degree wasnt something in demand.

Lately - private colleges here and a few state run are now pushing things like CNC machine programming or something manufacturing oriented - however too little too late.

Don't let them do that down south because if they do you'll get the dependent class like we have up here - and they vote.

#3361145 - 09/16/13 10:23 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: Steverino]
Rebel
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee USA

Last time I was in CT I was less than 5 miles from downtown Hartford.... Looked more like Mogadishu...

Tolerance is a virtue of those who believe in nothing.

Deo Vindice

#3362077 - 09/16/13 10:17 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: Rebel]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Loc: Milan, TN

I think its all about the geographic location of the college. I went to UT Chattanooga and I about lost my mine every day due to the liberal teachers and students that were everywhere. Any impressionable conservative student or independent would quickly become liberal due to everyone else being one and they wanted to fit in. In contrast, I now go to UT Martin and its about reverse from what ive seen thus far. Most of the teachers and students are conservative and the few libs (you can kinda tell), just keep to themselves in little packs.

Just because it's bad-a** don't mean it's a good idea.

#3362126 - 09/16/13 11:16 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: DirtyBear0311]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: DirtyBear0311
I think its all about the geographic location of the college. I went to UT Chattanooga and I about lost my mine every day due to the liberal teachers and students that were everywhere. Any impressionable conservative student or independent would quickly become liberal due to everyone else being one and they wanted to fit in. In contrast, I now go to UT Martin and its about reverse from what ive seen thus far. Most of the teachers and students are conservative and the few libs (you can kinda tell), just keep to themselves in little packs.

I'll admit to never having given that factor much thought. At any rate, it's good to know that there are at least a few refuges of something resembling common sense somewhere in public education.

#3362195 - 09/17/13 04:38 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: Bambi Buster]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Having just graduated from TN Tech back in December, I will agree with much of what has been mentioned above. One thing I'll add, most people that are great in their field will not be teaching, IMO, they will be running a business somewhere making alot more money, not saying thats always the case though before anybody gets their undies in a wad. It is my opinion that this helps funnel "underperformers" into PHD required professor positions. Coming from Fentress Co., TN, I couldnt believe the amount of liberal crap spewing at TN Tech. I didnt know that many idiots existed. Thats alot of the reason I left the wildlife department and headed to the agriculture department. The School of Agriculture there is like a haven for conservatives, outside of that it's pretty bad.

#3362340 - 09/17/13 07:13 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: smstone22]
The ScubaCamper
6 Point

....I'm at UTC right now. Albeit studying accounting but most (if not all) of my professors have been gun-toting conservatives....I have my doubts on a few though.... The good thing is, I have yet to hear liberal propoganda coming from the podium, but I do see it in the textbooks...

#3362635 - 09/17/13 10:45 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: The ScubaCamper]
preds1
12 Point

Loc: Sumner County

It starts well before college.......

Controversy is brewing around a school district in Denton, Texas, that is said to be using a United States history book that seems to summarize the Second Amendment inaccurately. However, the Denton Independent School District maintains it only uses the book as “supplemental” material and is “disseminating the correct information on the Second Amendment” from other texts.

But there are several other schools that appear to be using the book, too.

“The people have the right to keep and bear arms in a state militia,” the definition in the book, “United States History: Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination,” which acts as a study guide for the Advanced Placement U.S. history test, reads.

#3365886 - 09/19/13 12:11 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: preds1]
The ScubaCamper
6 Point

...makes me sick....and anxious for the education of my children...
I'm so sick of these propogandist leftists.
Why can't we just rest on our own values & ideology and let the chips fall where they may??

#3366788 - 09/19/13 11:44 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: FLTENNHUNTER1]
in the dog house!
14 Point

Loc: west tn

Originally Posted By: FLTENNHUNTER1
Liberal Professors.

^^^ This ^^^^

Μολων λαβε

#3366962 - 09/20/13 07:43 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: in the dog house!]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

Because no one in college, (including the professors) have yet to experience real life.

You have a bunch of "adults" who have never left academia informing thousands of students who have yet to leave academia how the real world does or should function.

My niece was nearing her Master's degree in psychology when we met for Thanksgiving last year. For hours I listened to her brain dead comments politics, the Buffet Rule, Universal healtcare etc.

Then, this past spring, we gathered for her commencement. I asked her how starting her own business was going and her reply was "The taxes, OMG, the TAXES are killing me".

She had only been a graduate for a few hours and was 3 weeks into opening her own practice and had already shed 6 years of liberal echo chamber fantasy theories.

Real life has a way of breaking through the BS. Liberalism can only exist in a vacuum. How do you make a conservative? Make them live by fund their own ideas

#3367351 - 09/20/13 11:31 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: Crappie Luck]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Hey now, not everyone in college has zero life experience outside of school. But I do agree with everything else you said.

#3367430 - 09/20/13 12:23 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: DirtyBear0311]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Hey now, not everyone in college has zero life experience outside of school. But I do agree with everything else you said.

I know some other exceptions to that rule with similar life experience like yours. They all tell me it's like being back in kindergarten.

#3367462 - 09/20/13 12:40 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: Bambi Buster]
Hangnail
12 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Things I learned in college:

1) A college degree lets others know you're capable of learning, nothing more.

2) The professors that are the most liberal have never had another job.

3) A good percentage of Freshmen that were goody-goody in high school aren't anymore. (Cheryl, Susan, Karen and Kim, thank you from the bottom of my heart)

Other life lessons:

1) Nobody gives a crap what you think except you.

#3367467 - 09/20/13 12:42 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: Hangnail]
The ScubaCamper
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Hangnail

It also proves that you're capable of accomplishing a long-term goal and overcoming certain adversity.

#3367566 - 09/20/13 02:03 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: Bambi Buster]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Bambi Buster

I know some other exceptions to that rule with similar life experience like yours. They all tell me it's like being back in kindergarten.

I often feel like Happy Gilmore. The immaturity level of many college age kids is amazing.

#3367694 - 09/20/13 03:23 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: DirtyBear0311]
Rebel
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

I often feel like Happy Gilmore. The immaturity level of many college age kids is amazing.

0-3-1-1 hmmm, Grunt?

Deo Vindice

#3367704 - 09/20/13 03:34 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: The ScubaCamper]
Hangnail
12 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Originally Posted By: The ScubaCamper
 Originally Posted By: Hangnail

It also proves that you're capable of accomplishing a long-term goal and overcoming certain adversity.

Of course it does, for some. Some college students are there because they don't know what they want to do and don't want to work in the meantime. Still others experience absolutely no adversity of any kind. The point being that a prospective employer knows nothing about the job applicant other than what is in front of him in a cover letter/resume.

#3367941 - 09/20/13 07:09 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: Rebel]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Rebel

0-3-1-1 hmmm, Grunt?

Yup. rifleman to be exact

#3372203 - 09/24/13 07:53 AM Re: In your opinion [Re: DirtyBear0311]
Rebel
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Rebel

0-3-1-1 hmmm, Grunt?

Yup. rifleman to be exact

Welcome home my brother. I was also 0311... My son, being raised by a crazy marine must've decided he didn't want to be one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, so at this moment he's in week 4 of his Navy basic training. He's gonna be a corpsman.

Deo Vindice

#3372834 - 09/24/13 05:02 PM Re: In your opinion [Re: Rebel]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

My reasons; 1.) Liberal Arts Colleges, notice the irony 2.) College prices have sky rocketed that most are in debt up to their eyeballs without a concern on how to pay it off, notice the irony once again 3.) Once most finish college they expect a good paying job without really working for it, wow more irony!

Dont get me wrong, I have a B.S. and a M.S. and have nothing against colleges or college students, but in the past 10 years this society has changed dramatically and colleges seem to be pushing the liberal agenda full time. This full time push will without a doubt attract like minded people.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

Page all of 3 123>

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
104 registered (jameseboy, buckbstr_1, JN, Deer Assassin, chasinsmallies, Stumpy, 12 invisible) and 160 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96063 Topics
1124806 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.076 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.