Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3354434 - 09/10/13 07:55 PM Help for an old wannabe runner :-)
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

I put old painful 50 yr old knees totin 6' 223lbs to the test today - 55 minutes of cardio, soaking wet, with a mile just under 11 minutes during the workout which is monumental for my roughed up worn out frame... Knees are really aching right now - hit it pretty hard yesterday as well.

Is there a decent stretch that will help with the muscles on the side of my shin bone?? Even running a little 4 yrs ago I had pretty decent pain there - noticed today along with the knee pain \:\(

Pain is NOT my friend \:\)

#3354720 - 09/10/13 11:16 PM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: Kimber45]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Listen PeePaw, you keep overdoing it like that, you'll be in a world of hurt ;\) Ice baths will really help you.

Here are the stretches I do for the outside of my leg:

1) Stand up, cross one leg over the other, and reach for your toes. Switch legs.
2) Sitting down with one leg outstretched and your other foot tucked behind you, reach towards your outstretched foot. Lean and roll around a bit to feel it stretch various points of your outstretched leg.
3) Spend a lot of time doing calf exercises. Standing on your tiptoes will help stretch that muscle. Roll your ankle around to stretch out more.

#3354889 - 09/11/13 06:36 AM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: TAFKAP]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

PeePaw \:D

I was expecting to be pretty dang sore this morning but am not really, however there's definitely some soreness in the shin area. Ole PeePaw will give those stretches a try and see what happens ;\)

#3354890 - 09/11/13 06:37 AM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: Kimber45]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Oh and an Ice Bath... Heck that sounds flippin painful!

#3355591 - 09/11/13 02:26 PM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: Kimber45]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Kimber45
Oh and an Ice Bath... Heck that sounds flippin painful!

The first 15 seconds are.....you won't feel much after that.

Fill the tub with 6" of cold tap water. Jump in & sit down while dropping a bag of ice between your knees.

It'll really help with the pain & inflammation.

#3357026 - 09/12/13 03:28 PM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: TAFKAP]
Zulu
4 Point

Loc: Lakeland TN

happy Online
Kimber,
I know you're a P90X fan -- the shin stretches and ankle rotations that they do at the end of the X-stretch video really help with my shins after running. I also think that upward dog helps out too.

Z

#3357311 - 09/12/13 07:20 PM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: Zulu]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Added some stretches today - 2 miles running!!! Shins are sore.....we'll see what happens. It's been nearly 2 yrs since Ive done any running - and have run off/on 4 days in a row this week!!

I'm going to hit the mountain bike this weekend and just ride the country and field roads a little - give the shins a rest.

My BIGGEST issue this week....the more cardio Ive done, the hungrier I've been \:\( Got to overcome that one!

Edited by Kimber45 (09/12/13 07:20 PM)

#3357572 - 09/12/13 11:29 PM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: Kimber45]
TAFKAP
14 Point

My BIGGEST issue this week....the more cardio Ive done, the hungrier I've been \:\( Got to overcome that one!

You have to keep that old body of yours fueled \:D

Check out the Sports Tracker app for your phone. It inputs your weight and uses your speed to determine the calories burned. It really helps you keep track of your calories.

#3358711 - 09/13/13 10:34 PM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: TAFKAP]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP

You have to keep that old body of yours fueled \:D

Check out the Sports Tracker app for your phone. It inputs your weight and uses your speed to determine the calories burned. It really helps you keep track of your calories.

\:D
Thanks

#3358863 - 09/14/13 08:02 AM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: Kimber45]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

PeePaw ( \:D ) has logged an amazing 10+ miles this week \:\)

While only 2 days movement for most it was an accomplishment for me I can assure you.

Problems to date:

1) STUPID hungry all the time!
2) Have been skipping weekend workout but am going to push my sorry butt to get there Saturday and Sunday if ONLY for 20 mins cardio OR ride the mountain bike
3) HATE the thought of the ice-bath however, my hip joints hurt, my shins hurt, knees hurt and crapped up right shoulder hurts SO I plan to try the ice bath thing. (tried ice packs on the knees 2 nights and it really seemed to help!)

At this point, I am going to HAVE to seek out a medicinal (whether natural or not) form of appetite suppressant. I've got to gain control there - too much other stuff is being done right for me to allow my furnace to constantly be hollering "More Coal - More Coal" \:\) ANY suggestions??

#3359733 - 09/14/13 10:45 PM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: Kimber45]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Feed the furnace.

#3363970 - 09/18/13 06:28 AM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: TAFKAP]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Well, so far the added cardio is helping the end game goal!!

Down 3lbs from where I'd been weighing every morning for a while!!

I'm hitting the gym (6-days last week) with this plan:

Mon - 20 minutes of high heart rate cardio - Arms - 20/25 minutes of high heart rate cardio - home
Tue - 45-50 mins of high heart rate cardio - abs
Wed - 20 minutes of high heart rate cardio - Back/Chest - 20/25 minutes of high heart rate cardio - home
Thu - 45-50 mins of high heart rate cardio - abs
Fri - 20 minutes of high heart rate cardio - Legs/Shoulders - 20/25 minutes of high heart rate cardio - home
Saturday - Cardio for an hour but transitioning from: Run 5-7 mins, elyptical 5-7 minutes, bike hard for 5-7 minutes - water then all again. Going to add abs to that this week as well

Edited by Kimber45 (09/18/13 06:28 AM)

#3363973 - 09/18/13 06:31 AM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: Kimber45]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Sunday is an off-day for now and may keep it that way. Also once I get this routine behind me as a "routine" I'm going to add in some morning workouts and a few lunch day workouts even if they are only Yoga based stretching etc. That Yoga stuff sure make the old achy joints feel better for me!

#3382121 - 10/01/13 06:09 AM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: Kimber45]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Still STARVING BUT ran a mile in under 10 mins yesterday!! Pretty good for an old guy with knee pain who HATES cardio and STILL weighs 223

#3389662 - 10/06/13 07:45 AM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: Kimber45]
HDUKE1986
4 Point

Loc: Hamilton

Hey kimber45 if your shins hurt after running try running in the grass or somewhere easier on your joints cause its crazy how hard concrete or asphalt are on your joints when I ran cross country in college I noticed that my shins would kill me after running on the roads but if I went to the park and ran in the grass it was much better and also get you some of those little Dixie dentist cups and fill them with water and freeze them and when you get done running get a couple out and rub them up and down both sides of your shins it will work wonders for you sounds to me you may be developing shin splints and that will surely hinder your progress and for your hip look up stretching for your hip flexor and do it before and after every run cause if you mess it up it will hurt from here on out thats what put a end to my competitive running for the most part
#3390289 - 10/06/13 04:59 PM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: Kimber45]
tnfirefighter
8 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

3 causes of shin splints, overpronating in your running step, not stretching and bad shoes. Get a pair of good running shoes! I recommend Brooks, or Saucony motion control Ive got a pair of Brooks Beasts. My foot hits outside heal first. As far as the hunger part...might try eating more protein. I pop a spoonfull of peanut butter in my pie hole and it helps with the cravings lol

#3391121 - 10/07/13 06:39 AM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: tnfirefighter]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: tnfirefighter
3 causes of shin splints, overpronating in your running step, not stretching and bad shoes. Get a pair of good running shoes! I recommend Brooks, or Saucony motion control Ive got a pair of Brooks Beasts. My foot hits outside heal first. As far as the hunger part...might try eating more protein. I pop a spoonfull of peanut butter in my pie hole and it helps with the cravings lol

Have a top o the line pair of Brooks and always stretch before running. I don't think protein is an issue as I get more than my share \:\) with supplements and daily meat intake.
Is probably a result of the way my feet hit the ground but not sure on that. And, feeding the "cravings" has been my biggest issue lately - always craving and always feeding \:D

#3391126 - 10/07/13 06:41 AM Re: Help for an old wannabe runner :-) [Re: HDUKE1986]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: HDUKE1986
Hey kimber45 if your shins hurt after running try running in the grass or somewhere easier on your joints cause its crazy how hard concrete or asphalt are on your joints when I ran cross country in college I noticed that my shins would kill me after running on the roads but if I went to the park and ran in the grass it was much better and also get you some of those little Dixie dentist cups and fill them with water and freeze them and when you get done running get a couple out and rub them up and down both sides of your shins it will work wonders for you sounds to me you may be developing shin splints and that will surely hinder your progress and for your hip look up stretching for your hip flexor and do it before and after every run cause if you mess it up it will hurt from here on out thats what put a end to my competitive running for the most part

Actually 100% of my running is on a treadmill right now since I'm just getting back into this - and was fearing the impact the blacktop will have on feet, knees and hips. I could probably add a few more stretches but I do several now before any runs or high impact cardio.

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
101 registered (Mike Belt, HenryCohunter, tn/kyhunter, redblood, Roost 1, Slacker, 17 invisible) and 146 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89314 Topics
1044540 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.234 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.