Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3353526 - 09/09/13 11:12 PM The reason I am not a year-round archer
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Archery is like throwing a cast net... you can get good at it, and then something goes wack and leaves you wanting to destroy the equipment. Well actually, I am shooting decent groups, but it's frustrating getting it zeroed in. I was consistently shooting a little high and left, so after several days of this I adjusted the sight up and left. I may have over compensated the up adjustment, because the groups are now a little low, but are still left. And I cant touch the sight yet (wont let myself) just to be sure it's not my shooting that is inconsistent. A few more days of shooting and I will move the sight again... hopefully I can have a decent zero by season. Oh yeah, then I gotta shoot broadheads and re-adjust the sight again. Goal is to have a decent group at 30 "just in case" but mainly keep my shots to 20 yards or less in the woods.

The main motivation to shoot my bow comes from the desire to deer hunt with it... I rarely shoot it off-season until later in the summer with enough time to get good for deer season.

#3353681 - 09/10/13 07:40 AM Re: The reason I am not a year-round archer [Re: catman529]
UTGrad
16 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

Nothing worthwhile is easy
#3353806 - 09/10/13 09:16 AM Re: The reason I am not a year-round archer [Re: catman529]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

Originally Posted By: catman529
Archery is like throwing a cast net... you can get good at it, and then something goes whack and leaves you wanting to destroy the equipment.

I dunno about that...the more you do it, the easier it gets until it almost becomes auto pilot. From what I read in your text, most every problem you describe that you are having, could be fixed with just more days shooting during the year. The two biggest things I see with people are form and fatigue...which both are directly related to one another as well. I see people new to archery pick a bow up, and get all into shooting...and just keep shooting and shooting and shooting, and trying to make adjustments on their bow as they have progressively shot 60+ rounds out of their bow. They end up chasing arrows everywhere.

I'm not new to archery but I'm certainly not on the level of the top archers in the country...but at the same time, I'm not an average Joe archer either. I say that to say this...consistent form is where it's at. If you can't repeat the same thing every shot...you are gonna be shooting sloppy. At the level I'm at, I find myself having to do minor tweaks on left/right hits. That's why there are micro adjustments on sights if you ask me...things like time of day you shoot...because of lighting, etc, will throw you off on left/right hits by just a little bit. If you hang around the big ASA or IBO shoots, you will hear people use the term "turn the corner" when describing the course lay out. Often times...the courses are set up on both sides of a walking trail or road bed...in which on one side, you may be shooting directly towards the sun light...and the on the other side, it will be behind you...or maybe to the left or right of you. Anyway...it's a lighting issue...and on one half of the course, you might shoot everything a little to the left/right...and then when you "turn the corner" you are hitting dead center. It happened to me at the Classic this year...on the first 10 targets, I couldn't hit a 12 to save my life. I kept hitting just a little high and to the left. When we turned the corner...and started the next 10 targets, I shot nine 12s in a row without making any adjustment to anything.

#3353911 - 09/10/13 11:06 AM Re: The reason I am not a year-round archer [Re: Crow Terminator]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

Cat everything you state in your post is the reason TO shoot year round!
At some point you will shoot enough that your form is almost robotic and you will know beyond the shadow of a doubt When its you or your bow. 9.9 times out of 10 shooting problems lead you back to proper form. What ever factors lead to it, fatigue, arm drop, back tension, grip torquing, bad form is usually the culprit
IMO for what its worth

Edited by ImThere (09/10/13 11:11 AM)

#3353922 - 09/10/13 11:13 AM Re: The reason I am not a year-round archer [Re: ImThere]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

I figured it was my shooting and not the bow, nothing has changed about the bow except when I move the sight. One thing about fatigue, it's hard to stop shooting when you are trying to end on a good shot and your groups keep getting worse. Sometimes I just gotta quit because I cant hold the bow steady anymore from shooting a bunch.

#3353935 - 09/10/13 11:28 AM Re: The reason I am not a year-round archer [Re: catman529]
Grizzly Johnson
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Catman, in my past experience with shooting.... I have had an older not so good bow and a newer very nice bow.... I was marginal with the older (and slinging aluminum arrows) but with the newer bow and carbon arrows I was much more efficient. Not that having a new bow is a must, just that it made me that much more confident in my ability and my shooting reflected it.

I knowo what you are saying about quitting on a good shot.... but to be honest, if you try that, you will only hurt your shooting worse. You don't have to shoot 50-100 arrows a day.... 1-2 dozen can be just as effective. You get tired or fatigued, your form starts to suffer and after that your shot accuracy will suffer and show it.

As said, your form has to be repeated every time for best accuracy.... Your bow can shoot lights out but with poor irregular form you are not getting the constant, truely repeated shots. As said before, after a while of getting "it", you will become like a robot on autopilot....

You are a pretty accomplished hunter so I won't tell you what to do.... but in my experience your grip on the bow, arm straightness, draw/hold, and difference in anchor point can/will affect your accuracy.

#3353939 - 09/10/13 11:35 AM Re: The reason I am not a year-round archer [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
volsgo1
10 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN. 38017

With a torn rotator cuff on my bow holding side Im having to limit myself to 3 s arrow groups a day.

#3353946 - 09/10/13 11:47 AM Re: The reason I am not a year-round archer [Re: volsgo1]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

This biggest thing for me is to not overthink archery. A lot of archers over think their equipment and are so anal about the details of their equipment and shooting that the slightest variance (like wearing a different pair of gloves or a fleece hat) throws them off entirely. I look at it like playing an instrument. You can psych yourself out before you go on stage and be all uptight and nervous, or you can plug in and go out there and rock. Slightly out of tune? Who cares? Its rock n roll.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3353951 - 09/10/13 11:53 AM Re: The reason I am not a year-round archer [Re: Poser]
Eric Kilby
Fireball
10 Point

Loc: Tellico Plains

Quit messing with the bow and start adjusting your grip and making sure your sling isn't to tight .. do a shot and adjust your grip slightly and see what happens and just keep trying till you find something that works

#3354002 - 09/10/13 12:41 PM Re: The reason I am not a year-round archer [Re: Eric Kilby]
Urban_Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

Initiate : Flame Thrower

I'm going to disagree. If you moved your sight and hit low, and tryed the next day and hit low on your first couple shots... you are consistently hitting low when you are fresh. Move the sight down. If you hit the same spot 2 days in a row and have changed nothing else then your sight is slightly off. Hitting the same spot for another 4-5 days is only going to postpone the inevitable... moving your sight. My form isn't perfect... possibly not even good, but it is consistent. I would recommend shooting what is comfortable and if it is consistent then sweat the small stuff after season, it is too close to season to drag feet on a sight that is off. Just my opinion. The faster you get the group to the center the faster your confidence will grow, and in my book confidence is worth twice as much as the new Mathews.

You're never to old to learn something stupid.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (TennTurkeyHunter) and 44 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.