Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3348406 - 09/05/13 04:12 PM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: BSK]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

BSK,

More than once the article stresses dawn and dusk peaks in movement, but it does not discuss peaks in movement during hunting season.

Even under hunting pressure, are dawn and dusk the most active time for mature bucks?

I know you do not see much mid-day activity on your property. On the properties where you run cameras that experience a bump in activity mid-day, how large is the increase in activity? Is there a difference in mid-day activity before hunting season versus during hunting season?

#3348629 - 09/05/13 07:43 PM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: BSK]
fairchaser
8 Point

Loc: TN, USA

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: fairchaser
But, its interesting they can put a number on it when there seems to be so many other variables.

I seriously doubt they are suggesting hunter density is the ONLY factor. However, it is certainly a major factor. I also believe they are suggesting very low level hunting pressure (very low hunter density) has minimal impact on older buck movement, even if applied over a long period of time. But as hunter density increases, bucks react more strongly and more rapidly to it.

For years, I tracked hunting hours per acre, and I could really tell when it reached a given point on a property (generally, around 0.50 hunting hours per acre). However, as anyone would realize--how rapidly that hunting pressure is accumulated (hunter density) would certainly effect the results.

Now that is the kind of research that I can relate to.

#3349131 - 09/06/13 08:12 AM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: fairchaser]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

For years, I tracked hunting hours per acre, and I could really tell when it reached a given point on a property (generally, around 0.50 hunting hours per acre). However, as anyone would realize--how rapidly that hunting pressure is accumulated (hunter density) would certainly effect the results.

fairchaser,

What I really should have been looking at was not just accumulated hunting pressure, but the rapidity of that accumulated hunting pressure. I have no doubt that accumulating 0.5 hours of hunting pressure per acre (50 hours of hunting time for every 100 acres) over two months is different than accumulating that same level of pressure over just two weeks.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3349142 - 09/06/13 08:21 AM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: WMAn]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: WMAn
BSK,

More than once the article stresses dawn and dusk peaks in movement, but it does not discuss peaks in movement during hunting season.

Even under hunting pressure, are dawn and dusk the most active time for mature bucks?

I think the big difference between camera research and GPS-collar research is that the GPS-collar follows the deer, while cameras are placed where deer are most likely to move. However, few hunters or researchers want to place cameras in places where very hunter-wary deer are most likely to move during daylight once hunting pressure is applied, most notably, in sanctuaries. Personally, I'm almost never willing to crawl into a sanctuary to place and check a camera. That would defeat the purpose of the sanctuary. I would need to look at the actual GPS positions plotted on a habitat map, but I would bet good money the continued peaks of dawn and dusk movement of older bucks reported in these studies are occurring in very thick cover, where neither hunters nor cameras are located.

With camera data, I see the greatest peaks in older buck movement at night because my cameras are placed outside of sanctuary cover. If I had cameras in sanctuaries, I would probably get different results.

Quote:
I know you do not see much mid-day activity on your property. On the properties where you run cameras that experience a bump in activity mid-day, how large is the increase in activity? Is there a difference in mid-day activity before hunting season versus during hunting season?

My property appears to be an anomaly, as I definitely see a blip of mid-day movement of older bucks on other properties. But it is just that, a blip--about a quarter of the intensity of night-time peaks.

These mid-day peaks appear to be non-natural, in that they are hunting pressure induced. They are definitely strongest during hunting season, and I don't seem them in fall on unhunted properties.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3349163 - 09/06/13 08:32 AM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: BSK]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

Remember this article is emphasizing mature bucks. Heck, if I even check my trail cam during the summer, I usually donít get a mature buck on it for 4-5 days. I have noticed that mature bucks could be visiting the site daily and as soon as I check the camera they are gone for a few days. I am sure they are still in the area, but it does show that just the slightest intrusion effects there movements. I still get pics of 2.5 year old that same day, but not the big boys.
#3349368 - 09/06/13 11:36 AM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: Bayou Buck]
fairchaser
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Bayou Buck
Remember this article is emphasizing mature bucks. Heck, if I even check my trail cam during the summer, I usually donít get a mature buck on it for 4-5 days. I have noticed that mature bucks could be visiting the site daily and as soon as I check the camera they are gone for a few days. I am sure they are still in the area, but it does show that just the slightest intrusion effects there movements. I still get pics of 2.5 year old that same day, but not the big boys.

Several of us have added cameras that send pics to our phones and one thing we have noticed is the lack of camera activity for the first three days on all deer, especially mature bucks.

#3349374 - 09/06/13 11:43 AM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: BSK]
fairchaser
8 Point

fairchaser,

What I really should have been looking at was not just accumulated hunting pressure, but the rapidity of that accumulated hunting pressure. I have no doubt that accumulating 0.5 hours of hunting pressure per acre (50 hours of hunting time for every 100 acres) over two months is different than accumulating that same level of pressure over just two weeks.

An interesting chart might show doe/buck/mature buck sightings versus hunting pressure as measured by hunting hours per acre. I wonder if I can get Ames management to produce this since they have the data for such a chart, as they record sightings, grids, hours and dates.

#3349699 - 09/06/13 04:37 PM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: Bayou Buck]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Bayou Buck

You do have to be extraordinarily careful when checking cams. I've implemented a procedure that regularly produces mature buck photos within hours of my visit. Now I don't for a second think I'm having no impact at all, but I have learned how to greatly minimized my impact over the years, all through trial and error.

#3349702 - 09/06/13 04:38 PM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: fairchaser]
BSK
Non-Typical

An interesting chart might show doe/buck/mature buck sightings versus hunting pressure as measured by hunting hours per acre. I wonder if I can get Ames management to produce this since they have the data for such a chart, as they record sightings, grids, hours and dates.

I have those types of charts, but honestly, I need to find a way to add the "rate" of hunting pressure accumulation to the equation.

#3350904 - 09/07/13 07:08 PM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: BSK]
primos32
6 Point

Loc: Savannah, TN

I really enjoyed reading this article.
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
16 registered (papaw, Actionfishing, cleatus2506, catman529, deergetter243, Master Chief, 2 invisible) and 64 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89295 Topics
1044337 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.272 seconds in which 0.021 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.