Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3347922 - 09/05/13 09:11 AM Planting a Buck Rub?
tnbucs1
4 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

content Online
http://www.qdma.com/articles/stop-a-buck-in-his-tracks-plant-a-buck-rub

I didn't want to hi-jack the other thread regarding 10 things we know about mature bucks which is a great article but found this one interesting.
Has anyone tried this? Do you think it would be effective?

#3347968 - 09/05/13 09:55 AM Re: Planting a Buck Rub? [Re: tnbucs1]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

I know of several hunters/managers in the North have success with artificial rub posts. However, in the Southeast, bucks tend to shy away from rubbing non-living trees. That doesn't mean they won't, they just tend not to.

Personally, I've had FAR more success with mock scrapes than mock rubs.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3348152 - 09/05/13 12:06 PM Re: Planting a Buck Rub? [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: BSK
I know of several hunters/managers in the North have success with artificial rub posts. However, in the Southeast, bucks tend to shy away from rubbing non-living trees. That doesn't mean they won't, they just tend not to.

Wondering what you mean by "success",hunting or getting pics?

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3348354 - 09/05/13 03:23 PM Re: Planting a Buck Rub? [Re: Football Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter

Getting bucks to come to the fake "tree" (rubbing post).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3348963 - 09/06/13 01:16 AM Re: Planting a Buck Rub? [Re: BSK]
bbuck14
8 Point

Loc: West Tn.

Mark Drury on Bow Madness shows a similar set up but he uses a tree he cuts that has several limbs still on it that he puts in the ground in the food plot. It worked for him and was pretty neat. Seems like a good idea. Like BSK. was saying it may not work around here idk. The Drury's were in Missouri hunting.
#3349149 - 09/06/13 08:23 AM Re: Planting a Buck Rub? [Re: bbuck14]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: bbuck14
Mark Drury on Bow Madness shows a similar set up but he uses a tree he cuts that has several limbs still on it that he puts in the ground in the food plot. It worked for him and was pretty neat. Seems like a good idea. Like BSK. was saying it may not work around here idk. The Drury's were in Missouri hunting.

It seems to work very well in both agricultural areas, and areas further north. But then northern whitetails, even mature bucks, are MUCH more active in daylight than our southern whitetails are. And I have no idea why.

#3349395 - 09/06/13 12:05 PM Re: Planting a Buck Rub? [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Getting bucks to come to the fake "tree" (rubbing post).
I mean,do you get "hunting" success from mock scrapes,or "pics" success from mock scrapes?

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3349710 - 09/06/13 04:42 PM Re: Planting a Buck Rub? [Re: Football Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

I mean,do you get "hunting" success from mock scrapes,or "pics" success from mock scrapes?

Pics. I don't hunt mock scrapes or rubs (or real scrapes or rubs either). I hunt sign concentrations, but I don't say, "Look at that big scrape, I'm going to set up looking over that scrape." But I certainly do hunt sign concentrations (areas that have a lot of fresh sign--many, many large rubs and clusters of scrapes). Now often I can't even see the scrapes/rubs from my stand, by I am hunting the travel corridors leading through the concentrated sign area. The sign is there for a reason. It indicates that location is a high deer interaction area--and intersection of multiple deer travel patterns.

#3349778 - 09/06/13 05:55 PM Re: Planting a Buck Rub? [Re: BSK]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Pics. I don't hunt mock scrapes or rubs (or real scrapes or rubs either). I hunt sign concentrations, but I don't say, "Look at that big scrape, I'm going to set up looking over that scrape." But I certainly do hunt sign concentrations (areas that have a lot of fresh sign--many, many large rubs and clusters of scrapes). Now often I can't even see the scrapes/rubs from my stand, by I am hunting the travel corridors leading through the concentrated sign area. The sign is there for a reason. It indicates that location is a high deer interaction area--and intersection of multiple deer travel patterns.

X2. All he is basically saying is he is there. More than likely, very close. When I find these areas, I will get out immediately and not go back until the weather and conditions are right. As far as cameras, being that I might only find 1 or 2 of these each year and that I only have 2 black flash cameras, ill put one in that area. More than likely, if not disturbed, he is coming through that specific area right after dark or right at daylight (atleast that's your best odds as a hunter during hunting hours)....I just hope he is a little early in the evening or late in the morning. These small travel corridors mapped out from where I think he will be (going or coming to bed) and where this sign is and where I think he is coming from or going (say a feeding area) can be dynamite if not disturbed and hunted correctly when the weather cooperates. Getting those in line is the hardest part for the average hunter, as well as the most experienced hunters, IMO!

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3349803 - 09/06/13 06:16 PM Re: Planting a Buck Rub? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
BSK
Non-Typical

Well said JCDEERMAN. I agree about putting a black-flash camera in those areas. I've got a couple of traditional scrape concentrations that I might leave a black-flash camera on from mid-October to mid-December, or even longer.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
95 registered (tn gunman, muzzy76, bigtex, ZachMarkus, SAWDUST, TN RDG RNR, 14 invisible) and 123 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89353 Topics
1044969 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.23 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.