We now know more about the Devrin Young injury. Tennessee announced that the wide receiver will miss four to six weeks with a fractured hand suffered in Tuesday’s practice. UT’s coaches have a plan to replace the junior, who also handles punt and kick returns.
“It’s plug in the next guy right now,” receiver coach Zach Azzanni said. “Pick up the rifle and move on and that’s the way we have to do it. He was certainly getting better. There’s no doubt about it but now the next guy goes in and we roll.”
Offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian said junior Alton “Pig” Howard and sophomore Jonathon Johnson would likely pick up the slack in Young’s absence.
“We talked to all of our guys about being ready to play and preparing every day as if you were going to be the starter,” Bajakian said. “It’s no different than the group that we saw last Saturday. At the slot position, we’re expecting Alton Howard to be a playmaker. Johnathon Johnson got some good snaps last Saturday. He should fill in pretty well.”
Bajakian said Vincent Dallas could also see some time at slot receiver on Saturday. The junior played receiver and defensive back during preseason camp.
“Vincent Dallas is a guy who can play multiple positions,” Bajakian said. “He’s been around a while so he can really fill in wherever needed. We teach our offense conceptually so it’s important for all the guys to know where all the pieces of the puzzle fit in. I think when they learn it conceptually they’re able to move around a little more easily.”
Special teams coach Mark Elder also is tasked with replacing Young.
“A couple of the guys are excited about the opportunity to show what they have as well,” Elder said. “Obviously Devrin is a good player, but we have some other guys that are going to step up and we won’t miss a beat.”
Junior Jacob Carter and freshman Cameron Sutton are two of the most likely replacements on special teams. Don’t rule out Vincent Dallas, either.
Young caught one pass for nine yards in UT’s season opener. He also had one run for six yards. On special teams, Young averaged 10.4-yards per punt return and 23-yards per kickoff return.

This is a big blow for kick off and punt returns hope one of the young guys can pick it up

"Let God in he will save you all you have to do is ask"

"I'm a legend in my own mind"

Jos3ywales