Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3347255 - 09/04/13 04:53 PM Re: Permethrin help [Re: catman529]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Originally Posted By: catman529
 Originally Posted By: Redfred16
I just worked through this in another thread. For early season bow I was told either Repell or Saywer brand for scent free tick protection.

I went and got a $15 spray bottle of Sawyers at Academy with did my leaf suit, 3 pairs of socks, my gloves, 2 base layer shirts and bottoms before it ran out. I'll probably get another bottle to do my pack and refresh anything that needs it.
I hate to spend $15 on a bottle when a $7 container of concentrate will go a lot farther.

Originally Posted By: BSK
Concentrated version will save a lot of money and last a lot longer. Permethrin-10 is sold in 2 sizes at TSC with the smaller size being good for multiple seasons and only $7 bucks. Get a 16 oz spray bottle and measure 1 ounce of permethrin-10 and put it in the bottle. Fill the rest with water, screw on cap and shake well before using. I have almost zero chiggers or ticks this year even with deer scouting, hanging stands, and squirrel hunting. Spray on pants, shirt, socks and either tuck your pants into boots or spray the boots too.

Just remember that the Permethrin-10 sold at TSC contains petroleum distillates. Perhaps not everybody can smell them, but I sure can. Smells like motor oil to me. The only one that I know of that does not contain petroleum distillates is the one people were finding on the web (I can't think of the brand name right off the top of my head).

Unless you need constant applications of permethrin throughout the summer (work outdoors every day), I would probably just buy the spray cans. One application to hunting clothes should last through the tick and chigger part of bow season.
I can smell the petroleum, but the smell fades over time. Before bow season I will spray the clothes and let them hang in the air a couple days. Also how can we be sure the deer can't smell the permethrin itself?

I use the concentrate on my scouting clothes and would use that on what I'd wearout for spring turkey's. But I was concerned about the chemical smell of that one for my early bow clothes.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3347284 - 09/04/13 05:18 PM Re: Permethrin help [Re: catman529]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

I just worked through this in another thread. For early season bow I was told either Repell or Saywer brand for scent free tick protection.

I went and got a $15 spray bottle of Sawyers at Academy with did my leaf suit, 3 pairs of socks, my gloves, 2 base layer shirts and bottoms before it ran out. I'll probably get another bottle to do my pack and refresh anything that needs it.
I hate to spend $15 on a bottle when a $7 container of concentrate will go a lot farther.

Concentrated version will save a lot of money and last a lot longer. Permethrin-10 is sold in 2 sizes at TSC with the smaller size being good for multiple seasons and only $7 bucks. Get a 16 oz spray bottle and measure 1 ounce of permethrin-10 and put it in the bottle. Fill the rest with water, screw on cap and shake well before using. I have almost zero chiggers or ticks this year even with deer scouting, hanging stands, and squirrel hunting. Spray on pants, shirt, socks and either tuck your pants into boots or spray the boots too.

Just remember that the Permethrin-10 sold at TSC contains petroleum distillates. Perhaps not everybody can smell them, but I sure can. Smells like motor oil to me. The only one that I know of that does not contain petroleum distillates is the one people were finding on the web (I can't think of the brand name right off the top of my head).

Unless you need constant applications of permethrin throughout the summer (work outdoors every day), I would probably just buy the spray cans. One application to hunting clothes should last through the tick and chigger part of bow season.
I can smell the petroleum, but the smell fades over time. Before bow season I will spray the clothes and let them hang in the air a couple days. Also how can we be sure the deer can't smell the permethrin itself?

Or, you could pay a little more for the Martins and not have the petroleum issue. It isn't as cheap as the TSC stuff, but still cheaper than the pre-mixed cans or bottles.

#3347424 - 09/04/13 07:40 PM Re: Permethrin help [Re: scn]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: scn

Or, you could pay a little more for the Martins and not have the petroleum issue. It isn't as cheap as the TSC stuff, but still cheaper than the pre-mixed cans or bottles.
is it only online? I need to buy some.

...since last deer season

#3347492 - 09/04/13 08:16 PM Re: Permethrin help [Re: catman529]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

is it only online? I need to buy some.

I got mine from Amazon, and the shipping was almost as much as the product. But, it doesn't leave a smell after washing, and was much cheaper than a couple of pump sray bottle of the Sawyers from BPS. I mixed a tad heavier than the normal concentration and dipped a hat, two long sleeve shirts and a tee shirt and used a little less than half of the bottle. That will give me plenty to mix up some spray for the fall.

#3347642 - 09/04/13 10:03 PM Re: Permethrin help [Re: scn]
G_Man
4 Point

Loc: Middle Tn

I got mine from Amazon, and the shipping was almost as much as the product. But, it doesn't leave a smell after washing, and was much cheaper than a couple of pump sray bottle of the Sawyers from BPS. I mixed a tad heavier than the normal concentration and dipped a hat, two long sleeve shirts and a tee shirt and used a little less than half of the bottle. That will give me plenty to mix up some spray for the fall.

yep yep, i was just about to get the same stuff but noticed the shipping doubled the price...guess it's still the best bet though

#3347644 - 09/04/13 10:13 PM Re: Permethrin help [Re: G_Man]
Bzzrd
Spike

Loc: Baldwin Cty AL

BIG QUESTION ???

Does the permethrin help repel those bloodthirsty skeeters?

#3347650 - 09/04/13 10:19 PM Re: Permethrin help [Re: Bzzrd]
G_Man
4 Point

Loc: Middle Tn

Originally Posted By: Bzzrd
BIG QUESTION ???

Only reason i know this is bc these guys told me (and i read online later) that permethrin doesnt repel...it's a insecticide and it kills them on contact pretty much. I think they treat their clothes with the stuff (bc its not meant to be put directly on the skin) and use some form of repellant for the skin that is exposed still

Any more experienced guys can confirm or correct me? please do so if im wrong

#3347653 - 09/04/13 10:30 PM Re: Permethrin help [Re: G_Man]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: G_Man
BIG QUESTION ???

Only reason i know this is bc these guys told me (and i read online later) that permethrin doesnt repel...it's a insecticide and it kills them on contact pretty much. I think they treat their clothes with the stuff (bc its not meant to be put directly on the skin) and use some form of repellant for the skin that is exposed still

Any more experienced guys can confirm or correct me? please do so if im wrong
it kills ticks and chiggers on contact, and I am not sure of its effect on mosquitoes.

...since last deer season

#3347780 - 09/05/13 06:24 AM Re: Permethrin help [Re: Bzzrd]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

confused Online
BIG QUESTION ???

no

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3347823 - 09/05/13 07:22 AM Re: Permethrin help [Re: stik]
PREDATORDJ365
Spike

Loc: mcminn

The co-op has the water based permethrin, had a buddy pick some up last week. Can't remember the website i bought my permethrin from but it was only fifteen bucks. I have been using it for three years and still have plenty left.
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
104 registered (striperhunter90, kknights27, mossyhorns300, chris1976, bigasports, Coach, 10 invisible) and 153 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91529 Topics
1069992 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.