Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3352232 - 09/08/13 09:20 PM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: BSK]
jmf
Spike

Loc: Tennessee, US

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Bayou Buck
Remember this article is emphasizing mature bucks. Heck, if I even check my trail cam during the summer, I usually don’t get a mature buck on it for 4-5 days. I have noticed that mature bucks could be visiting the site daily and as soon as I check the camera they are gone for a few days. I am sure they are still in the area, but it does show that just the slightest intrusion effects there movements. I still get pics of 2.5 year old that same day, but not the big boys.

You do have to be extraordinarily careful when checking cams. I've implemented a procedure that regularly produces mature buck photos within hours of my visit. Now I don't for a second think I'm having no impact at all, but I have learned how to greatly minimized my impact over the years, all through trial and error.

Can you explain more about this procedure?

#3352482 - 09/09/13 07:57 AM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: jmf]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

jmf,

First, I take nearly as many scent precautions, such as clothes and body washed in scent-reducing detergents (not just scent-free detergents, but scent-reducing detergents), for checking cameras as I would going hunting.

Second, when checking cameras I wear a cheap plastic-type rainsuit, to keep the scent of my body contained and to prevent my cotton clothes from rubbing against and leaving scent on grass, brush, and briers. A rainsuit is easily washed off and sprayed down with scent-reducing sprays.

Third, I try to find locations for cameras that are easily reached by vehicle, rather than requiring long walks cross-country. I'm firmly convinced these long-distance walks cross-country produce the worst scent intrusions.

Lastly, and in my opinion most importantly, I ride an ATV or other vehicle right up to each camera. This prevents me from having to walk around and leave scent right at the camera site. It doesn't appear that ATVs or vehicles leave scent that deer react highly negatively to.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3353419 - 09/09/13 09:17 PM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: BSK]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Great article, thanks for sharing. One a side note, I bet Alsheimer hates it was published. \:\)

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3361614 - 09/16/13 04:33 PM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: 8 POINTS OR BETTER]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

Good news/bad news for Presidents Island.

quote from article: "site-fidelity is so strong that in one case a research project lost nearly 30 percent of their collared bucks to flooding because those deer refused to leave and simply ran out of food or drowned; the others returned to the study site immediately after the water receded."

#3369161 - 09/21/13 08:09 PM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: BSK]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

I have noticed how if you bust a buck , older one, once, he then gets very careful about being seen in the same spot again. I missed on a few years back having taken a shot on a tues of first week of MZ. I did not hunt that scrape again since he not only winded me I shot at him also, I shot him 350 yards down the same hollow 9 days later after a thunderstorm came thru on the 18th of nov. while he was out and about freshening his scrapes all night long and he made the mistake of still being around at 8am. What a feeling. 4.5 years old and a nice buck!

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
36 registered (Tn_Va_Hunter, scn, Vermin93, MickThompson, Zulu, Southern Sportsman, 4 invisible) and 109 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85655 Topics
1035043 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.251 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.