Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3347325 - 09/04/13 06:14 PM 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

Loc: Hardin, Co.

Here is the link.

http://www.qdma.com/articles/10-things-we-know-about-mature-buck-movements

#3347358 - 09/04/13 06:49 PM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: 8 POINTS OR BETTER]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Some very interesting stuff in there.

#3347899 - 09/05/13 08:42 AM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: smstone22]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

AWESOME article!

In the section on bucks responding to hunting pressure:

"They found that at 1 hunter per 250 acres, minimal effect could be seen in the way bucks move. However, at 1 hunter per 75 acres bucks responded by choosing thicker cover, they traveled less, and observation rates/hunter success decreased; and, once the season opened, it only took three days for bucks to change their behavior."

From assessing many years of trail-cam data from a variety of situations and locations, I've been saying for years that I can easily pick out the dates that significant hunting pressure begins on a monitored property. Bucks suddenly shift to far more nocturnal movement within 48 hours of the beginning of that hunting pressure. Nice to see the GPS collar data confirming that.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3347994 - 09/05/13 10:09 AM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: BSK]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Great article! Thanks for posting

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3348154 - 09/05/13 12:06 PM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: JCDEERMAN]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

I agree,less human pressure,more buck movement during the day,no doubt!

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3348156 - 09/05/13 12:10 PM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: Football Hunter]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I agree 100%. But sometimes there is just no controlling it. For the people that just hunt a small property like myself, even If I choose not to go because it aint right, my neighbor will and it will hurt it regardless.
#3348295 - 09/05/13 02:28 PM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: BSK]
fairchaser
8 Point

Loc: TN, USA

Originally Posted By: BSK
AWESOME article!

In the section on bucks responding to hunting pressure:

"They found that at 1 hunter per 250 acres, minimal effect could be seen in the way bucks move. However, at 1 hunter per 75 acres bucks responded by choosing thicker cover, they traveled less, and observation rates/hunter success decreased; and, once the season opened, it only took three days for bucks to change their behavior."

From assessing many years of trail-cam data from a variety of situations and locations, I've been saying for years that I can easily pick out the dates that significant hunting pressure begins on a monitored property. Bucks suddenly shift to far more nocturnal movement within 48 hours of the beginning of that hunting pressure. Nice to see the GPS collar data confirming that.

Very interesting. Are they saying deer can count now? Does that mean there is a hunter on every 75 acres at any one time? If you have a club like Ames with 1 member every 160 acres. But, at most on any day, there is only 1 hunter every 320 acres. In other words, not everyone hunts every day. Also, the deer are used to seeing people in the woods year round doing tick research etc. I wonder how much the deer are really affected by hunter behavior. May-be the article is saying that some hunting pressure is tolerated but when you have intense pressure the deer move to thicker cover. This could also be explained due to foliage drop at the same time. There seems to be little doubt that deer respond to pressure of all kinds. I know its difficult to see a doe after the bucks start chasing them. All deer seem to know when hunting season starts. Seems to be part of their DNA. All things equal, and they never are, I would prefer to hunt a property with less hunting pressure than more. But, its interesting they can put a number on it when there seems to be so many other variables.

#3348320 - 09/05/13 02:53 PM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: fairchaser]
AlabamaSwamper
12 Point

Loc: Southern Wayne CO and NW Alaba...

Told me exactly what 10 years of trail cams have told me. Some bucks stay in about a 100 acre or less area and some cover lots of ground.

Not shocking but the bucks I hunt that have bigger core areas get killed and the ones with small core areas don't.

http://twitter.com/AlabamaSwamper

#3348323 - 09/05/13 02:55 PM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: AlabamaSwamper]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

Great read! Thanks for posting!

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#3348359 - 09/05/13 03:31 PM Re: 10 THINGS WE KNOW ABOUT MATURE BUCK MOVEMENT [Re: fairchaser]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: fairchaser
But, its interesting they can put a number on it when there seems to be so many other variables.

I seriously doubt they are suggesting hunter density is the ONLY factor. However, it is certainly a major factor. I also believe they are suggesting very low level hunting pressure (very low hunter density) has minimal impact on older buck movement, even if applied over a long period of time. But as hunter density increases, bucks react more strongly and more rapidly to it.

For years, I tracked hunting hours per acre, and I could really tell when it reached a given point on a property (generally, around 0.50 hunting hours per acre). However, as anyone would realize--how rapidly that hunting pressure is accumulated (hunter density) would certainly effect the results.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
105 registered (Tims, shooter_5_0, Master Chief, Mike Belt, krazykarl_13, leader, 10 invisible) and 182 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89357 Topics
1044991 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.227 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.