Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3345620 - 09/03/13 11:19 AM Plumbing Question?
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

We recently bought a house that came with home warraty. There are several plumbing issues that need to be addressed. A couple of the faucets leak out the base when the water runs. They are Kolher brand. The plumber that came out says the link can't be fixed, the faucets need replacing....once they leak they are done, they were probably put in wrong and that's why they are leaking. Of course the warranty doesn't cover the replacement cost of that brand.

Is this true, that they can't be fixed? Or is he basically full of it?

#3345624 - 09/03/13 11:24 AM Re: Plumbing Question? [Re: pass-thru]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Loc: Benton tn. Polk Co.

If it has a warranty they should fix it! Period

#3345625 - 09/03/13 11:26 AM Re: Plumbing Question? [Re: pass-thru]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

I take it the home inspector didn't catch any of this or was it a known issue? I only ask because my home inspector would be on the hook for paying for this type of problem within the first 90 days if he checked them and said they were "good".

#3345629 - 09/03/13 11:28 AM Re: Plumbing Question? [Re: BlountArrow]
Kingston
8 Point

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
I take it the home inspector didn't catch any of this or was it a known issue? I only ask because my home inspector would be on the hook for paying for this type of problem within the first 90 days if he checked them and said they were "good".

^^THIS^^

#3345636 - 09/03/13 11:36 AM Re: Plumbing Question? [Re: Kingston]
pass-thru
10 Point

There was no home inspection. Basically there was bidding war on the house. Multiple offers first day on the market. I was not willing to pay more than asking price. All the major systems are fairly new and in good repair. There was mold and termite inspections. My realtor said he would buy the home warranty and if we waived the inspection contigency, we would get the house, and we did. In that context I'm not too worried about a few minor out of pocket expenses.

But....I think the the plumber the warranty company sent out is not top of the line. Just trying to decide if I need to hire my own and get somebody reputable.

#3345719 - 09/03/13 12:44 PM Re: Plumbing Question? [Re: pass-thru]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: pass-thru
We recently bought a house that came with home warraty. There are several plumbing issues that need to be addressed. A couple of the faucets leak out the base when the water runs. They are Kolher brand. The plumber that came out says the link can't be fixed, the faucets need replacing....once they leak they are done, they were probably put in wrong and that's why they are leaking. Of course the warranty doesn't cover the replacement cost of that brand.

Is this true, that they can't be fixed? Or is he basically full of it?

Home warranties are crap, and I'd get a written copy of your policy in hand before calling a plumber. Those contractors are usually crap, and will do as little as possible to milk the warranty company. Chances are, your $60 or so "copay" is about the most money that will ever change hands.

I wouldn't fret too much about the brand name, though.

#3345720 - 09/03/13 12:46 PM Re: Plumbing Question? [Re: pass-thru]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: pass-thru

But....I think the the plumber the warranty company sent out is not top of the line. Just trying to decide if I need to hire my own and get somebody reputable.

You can get quick, cheap, or good....pick two of the three. With a home warranty contractor, cross your fingers and hope for one.

#3345810 - 09/03/13 02:04 PM Re: Plumbing Question? [Re: TAFKAP]
89cherokeelimited
6 Point

Loc: TN, Sumner, Hendersonville

Normally you can fix the base of faucets. I fixed 2 of ours when my wife and I first bought our house.
Home Depot sold kits for the faucets we had and I put the new internals in and we were good to go. It cost me like $8 or $10 a sink and lasted until just 3 weeks ago. They last almost another 3 years. I finally broke down and bought new faucets. I think I spent a total of $20 fixing 2 faucets that worked perfectly for almost 3 more years. not a bad deal in my case.

#3345866 - 09/03/13 02:45 PM Re: Plumbing Question? [Re: 89cherokeelimited]
Twinshooter
10 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN. USA

^^^ what Cherokee said, you will come out cheaper, I had the Home Shield and it is a pain, but they also save me money when I needed it for Air unit replacement.

Puppet Boy G8rntn is bought and paid for!!

#3345874 - 09/03/13 02:52 PM Re: Plumbing Question? [Re: Twinshooter]
Urban_Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

I had to home warranty a central air and heat unit that went out 3 months after we bought our current house. It was a nightmare. Took 2 weeks to get the estimate then there were was a list of things that wasn't covered in the warranty. One of which was hazardous materials recovery (freon), but the unit failed because it leaked all the freon out... I went round and round then had two guys show up with nearly no tools with the central unit turned up on it's side in the back of the van. Install was less than professional and... blah blah you get the point. The guys that installed it didn't even have a company name and couldn't explain to me where they came from or who to contact if I have issues. I came out of pocket $400... they originally requested $750

You're never to old to learn something stupid.

#3345959 - 09/03/13 04:23 PM Re: Plumbing Question? [Re: Urban_Hunter]
jos3ywales
14 Point

Loc: Norris Dam

Lord I hate Plumbing did some yesterday it burns me to even think of it that and Electrical work Good Luck

"Let God in he will save you all you have to do is ask"

"I'm a legend in my own mind"

Jos3ywales

#3346259 - 09/03/13 08:23 PM Re: Plumbing Question? [Re: jos3ywales]
Super8
8 Point

Loc: USofA

It can be fixed with a rebuild kit- Problem is the Plumber doesn't want to pay for parts because Kohler is high and they will lose money on this particular call. They make a certain price per call and win some and lose some. They are trying to keep from losing so they dont want to cover this job.
Call your warranty and ask for a different plumber or repair it yourself.

#3346438 - 09/03/13 10:54 PM Re: Plumbing Question? [Re: Super8]
big 8's in Weakley county
16 Point

Loc: south fulton

I think kohler has a lifetime warranty be worth a call to them
http://www.disabledsportsmenusa.proboards.com/index.cgi

#3346541 - 09/04/13 05:55 AM Re: Plumbing Question? [Re: big 8's in Weakley county]
BlackBelt
10 Point

Loc: SouthWest TN

Do the work yourself and save the $$$ for ammo.
If you do it yourself you will have someone who cares about your house working on it.
Home Depot offers classes and books on doing the job, or youtube will have tutorials.
I hope you get it worked out.

#3346552 - 09/04/13 06:14 AM Re: Plumbing Question? [Re: BlackBelt]
TrailWatcher
8 Point

Loc: Tn,Knox

I do alot of home Warranty work on Swimming pools and have never had a problem with replacement of parts or whole pumps or filters. What company is your HW with? I would call Kohler direct more than likely they will send you the parts for free.But the HW for ether pay to replace or repair....

#3346702 - 09/04/13 08:23 AM Re: Plumbing Question? [Re: TrailWatcher]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

X2 Kohler is great to deal with.

#3347510 - 09/04/13 08:25 PM Re: Plumbing Question? [Re: BlountArrow]
pass-thru
10 Point

Thanks for all the information and advice. The wife called Kolher and their warranty doesn't cover us because we're not the original owner. However there is a fairly inexpensive replacement part that we can get. The other faucet is old and worn out, and much cheaper to replace.

The home warranty company sent our info to a new plumber. We were supposed to hear from them today and never did. I am will not fool with the home warranty BS anymore. I've got a few other projects I want to get done and I'll see if they can handle minor plumbing stuff too.

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
73 registered (FISH, Big Pop, Bow Hunter, BamaProud, TN RDG RNR, leader, 8 invisible) and 128 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94111 Topics
1099572 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.17 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.